SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone work with paracord?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone work with paracord? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I was looking to replace the hatband on a straw hat I bought on eBay and came across a few (but not many) hatbands made of paracord.

Survivalists will know that 550 milspec paracord can be used as an emergency rope due to its tensile strength. It seems a whole industry now exists for hobbyists and craftsmen. Because carrying 30 feet of rope can be a bit awkward, folks have taken to making bracelets, rifle slings, and a host of other items. Sadly, not many people make hatbands out of it.

So I thought maybe I'd try my hand at making my own. The stuff isn't expensive, and the only tools one needs pretty much are a good pair of scissors and a butane lighter. There are a number of different weaves or braids, the main one being called the "cobra," which can be learned in seconds. A minute, if you're slow.

My first attempt quickly became my third attempt, as the guide I used suggested adding three inches to the measured length, but it was a good inch to inch-and-a-half too short. I now have the inner strand measured to fit, but find I didn't buy enough cord for the outer layer (the rule of thumb I've read is one foot for every inch measured, which means I need about 26 feet, and I only bought 16. The store is close by, so I should be able to get more tomorrow.

Has anyone here done any work with paracord? Any hints, tips, warnings or ideas?

I'm not interested in turning this into a money-making operation, but I can easily see how it could become one.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google Stormdrane, he has a blog on all things paracord......

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I made a few things several years back. My best was a watch band that I still use.

It took me something like 3 hours.

I enjoyed it, but got busy.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done some very simple things by watching YouTube. Pretty fun.

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stormdrane yep. Pair of forceps can come in handy at times.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any hints, tips, warnings or ideas?

You have to melt the ends when you are done (or after you cut a section off the main roll), so it doesn't unravel. This melted paracord/nylon attains the temperature of the surface of the sun, and clings viciously to exposed skin (don't ask me how I know). It will hurt for days (remember from Biology class how many ultra-sensitive nerve endings are in your fingers?).

You get used to it.

After I melt the ends for a finished product, I smoosh it down with the flat edge of an old chisel. This keeps it nice and neat/flat. Also, have a good sharp scissors handy. I don't smoke, but on my last deployment, I went through Bic lighters pretty quickly.

Enjoy. It's a great hobby. I've made hat bands, bracelets, key chains, a couple rifle slings, dog collar/leashes, ... It's a great hobby.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post