SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    MT Hunter attacked by grizzly (Somewhat gorey photos)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MT Hunter attacked by grizzly (Somewhat gorey photos) Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
To piggy-back with the "I Remember When..." thread, I remember when you could go out hunting and hiking and not have to worry about about griz, wolves, or cats because there weren't any of them around and the ones that were were so skittish of people you never saw them.

Nowadays we're seeing them in places they never were before. Thanks liberals. Appreciate it.

Shoot, shovel, shut-up.

Posts: 20065 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Gustofer,

There's a thread going now over on FaceBook about how wonderful the reintroduced wolf has been for Yellowstone NP. The majority of the supporters are from places like Philadelphia, NJ, LA , etc. The USFWS and the Park Service have done a great job of misinformation.

One guy is going on and on that the wolves have even helped the streams and rivers.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
Well, whats a good "large calber handgun" for these these fucking bears ?

Browning Automatic Rifle

Just to clarify. There are two types of Browning Automatic Rifle. Your first choice will be this one:

Followed by this one(in .338 Winchester Magnum):

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Ive alays wondered why you folks in grizzly country dont carry an ak on 3 point sling all the time. Is that the incorrect thing to do? 30 rounds decent for close combat. Will it not kill a grizz?

Methinks it's all about penetration, and I'm unsure of how well they stack up vs. the big calibers.

A few years ago, a guy killed a Bear in Alaska with an AK-74. It took about thirteen rounds according to him.
LINK

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Gustofer,

There's a thread going now over on FaceBook about how wonderful the reintroduced wolf has been for Yellowstone NP. The majority of the supporters are from places like Philadelphia, NJ, LA , etc. The USFWS and the Park Service have done a great job of misinformation.

One guy is going on and on that the wolves have even helped the streams and rivers.

Good thing I'm not on facebook. I'd probably have a stroke. Big Grin

Posts: 20065 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Ive alays wondered why you folks in grizzly country dont carry an ak on 3 point sling all the time. Is that the incorrect thing to do? 30 rounds decent for close combat. Will it not kill a grizz?

Methinks it's all about penetration, and I'm unsure of how well they stack up vs. the big calibers.
I saw plenty of (order of commonness) big bore revolvers, shotguns, lever action rifles, and AKs during my time in AK. The AK never made sense to me as you want bone busting penetration capability, but then again this hiker successfully defended himself with an AK-74 (aka 5.45x39) on the trail by Bird Creek.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23197 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Pfft!

You only need a 9mm!

https://www.americanhunter.org...zly-with-9mm-pistol/

And a great bullet!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I saw an M-1 Garand converted to .458 Win. That is an option. Probably expensive.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:

First Rule of the Woods: If you find fucking bears, leave them alone. Big Grin

Uh, ok, whats the second rule of woods when bears find you ?

Second Rule of the Woods: If bears find you, you don't try to outrun them. Try to outrun at least one of the people with you.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Pfft!

You only need a 9mm!

And a great bullet!

Here's a fella dropping a moose with a Glock. (No idea what caliber though).

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ya I was htinking AK 47 762x39 steel core

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Gustofer,

Sheesh. They want to "re-introduce" grizzly bears into the North Cascades too. Just, WHY?

Posts: 3250 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:
Gustofer,

Sheesh. They want to "re-introduce" grizzly bears into the North Cascades too. Just, WHY?

How about we reintroduce them to Washington DC, NYC, Etc.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Pfft!

You only need a 9mm!

And a great bullet!

That dickhead would be going to jail in Alaska since state law forbids trying to intimidate a moose, bison, elk, bear, etc. to move off a road or trail. He should've turned around or sat there until moose left.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23197 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
quote:
Pfft!

You only need a 9mm!

And a great bullet!

That dickhead would be going to jail in Alaska since state law forbids trying to intimidate a moose, bison, elk, bear, etc. to move off a road or trail. He should've sat there until moose left or turned around.

Looked to me like the moose wasn't going to leave the trail as the snow was too deep. Unfortunate situation and sad that it was put down, but having been treed by moose (twice, and the second one damn near got me) I'd have shot too. I don't trust those damn things and they are mean. Point of the video though is that he was able to drop it with a handgun that, judging from the recoil, wasn't that big.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Pfft!

You only need a 9mm!

And a great bullet!

That dickhead would be going to jail in Alaska since state law forbids trying to intimidate a moose, bison, elk, bear, etc. to move off a road or trail. He should've sat there until moose left or turned around.

Looked to me like the moose wasn't going to leave the trail as the snow was too deep. Unfortunate situation and sad that it was put down, but having been treed by moose (twice, and the second one damn near got me) I'd have shot too. I don't trust those damn things and they are mean. Point of the video though is that he was able to drop it with a handgun that, judging from the recoil, wasn't that big.
I'm not a big fan of moose as I've been charged by one unprovoked (I was lifting the windshield wipers off the windshield so they wouldn't freeze there, and a moose walked around the corner in midtown Anchorage and proceeded to charge me. I barely made it back inside my truck). It would've been a righteous shoot if he had sat there and the moose charged anyway, but he was trying to intimidate the moose with the snowmobile and the yells which provoked the charge.

186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Pfft!

You only need a 9mm!

And a great bullet!

I'm not a big fan of moose as I've been charged by one unprovoked (I was lifting the windshield wipers off the windshield so they wouldn't freeze there, and a moose walked around the corner in midtown Anchorage and proceeded to charge me. I barely made it back inside my truck). It would've been a righteous shoot if he had sat there and the moose charged anyway, but he was trying to intimidate the moose with the snowmobile and the yells which provoked the charge.

Taking down a bear or a moose with a 9mm is like winning the lottery. Good for you if you can do it.

Everyone else needs a shotgun, HP rifle, or a large caliber hand gun. And even then the odds are against you.

Posts: 3250 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

A Laws Rocket Launcher.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:

Just to clarify. There are two types of Browning Automatic Rifle. Your first choice will be this one:

Followed by this one(in .338 Winchester Magnum):

It depends on if I need to hump it over hill and dale, day after day. On the outside chance I might see an angry moose or bear. Because the above poster felt compelled to post the photos, I assume he's lifted one of the first models. Smile I would guess at my advanced age, carrying one of the first model would compel me to sitting where I was. Movement wouldn't be in the cards.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
How about a 40mm grenade launcher loaded with buckshot?

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post