SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    MT Hunter attacked by grizzly (Somewhat gorey photos)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MT Hunter attacked by grizzly (Somewhat gorey photos) Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
http://www.krtv.com/story/3677...tack-by-grizzly-bear

Considering how cold it's been the past week, surprising this bear was even out and about.

In the end his bear spray prevailed.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Well, whats a good "large calber handgun" for these these fucking bears ?

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1307 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:

F-250

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
F-250

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:

something in a 45-70?

crew-served with wheels and VT frag would be my preference, but apparently does not leave the pelt in useful condition.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:

Browning Automatic Rifle

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Lots of grizzly contact here in Montana the last few days:

http://www.krtv.com/story/3676...ly-bear-near-pendroy

A bird hunter shot and killed a grizzly bear five miles east of Pendroy on Saturday.

According to Mike Madel of Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks, the hunter shot the adult female grizzly in the face with a 12-gauge shotgun.

The grizzly was with three cubs.

The bear did not make contact with the hunter and the hunter did not sustain any injuries.

Authorities have not released the name of the man, nor provided any other details at this point.

We will update you when we get more information.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Considering potential damage, I'd say he came out of that one relatively unscathed. That said, you KNOW anything that bites your wrist hard enough to displace carpal bones is paaaaiiiiinnnnnfulllll!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I lived in Alaska '09-'14, and about 6 weeks before I moved there a Kenai man dropped a charging brown/grizzly bear with a Ruger chambered in .454 Casull. It played a large part in my decision to carry a Ruger Redhawk Super Alaskan chambered in .454 Casull.

I carried it in a guide holster so it was accessible wearing backpacks, rain jackets, or fishing waders.

I actually preferred to be with someone carrying bear spray. Use a 2 second blast of bear spray as a deterrent and back it up with the other 7 seconds of bear spray and the .454.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Overall, I would say he skated. The tactic of exposing his backpack to the bear seems pretty good. His bear spray made the difference. And the trailer tie down TQ was genius, too.
I carry a G20 or Ruger SBH. But since the attacks can come suddenly and at close range, I wonder if I would have time to deploy the gun. Or spray, for that matter.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:

First Rule of the Woods: If you find fucking bears, leave them alone. Big Grin

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I agree that all in all he was lucky given that situation.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Where I live now, it's mostly 12g pump guns when it comes to bears. Cheap ones too since they are tossed into and out of boats, bounced around on hondas and snow machines and rained on all the time. No need to ruin a nice pretty gun. The one I use now is just a beater weatherby pa08 which cost me about 300 bucks. I load it with brenneke slugs.

Those big bears are scary, I'll never forget the first time I hunted the Montana unlimited sheep units and all I had was a 270 rifle and nothing else, there were bears in my camp every night and I was out solo.

Right now my handgun of choice when I'm out hunting is a ruger SBH 454 In a guides choice holster, my buddy that usually goes out with me to get birds carries a s&w 460 also in a guided choice holster. This time of year, I usually just carry a glock 19 because I'm more concerned with wolves than bears.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I was given this advice for hunting polar bears but maybe it also applies to grizzly bears.

The best rifle to use is one with the front sight filed down. That way, it doesn't hurt as much when the bear shoves it up your butt.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:

First Rule of the Woods: If you find fucking bears, leave them alone. Big Grin

Uh, ok, whats the second rule of woods when bears find you ?

So, bear spray works as long as you rebuke the wind, line up in the right direction all the while you hit the pause button on charging bear; then resume "play" when you are all set... ?

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1307 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
... sometimes the bear gets you....

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31432 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I realize he was looking for the wounded elk, but how does one ‘make boise’ while hunting? Then all you do is scare the elk away, along with the bears.

To bad he didn’t get off a shot or 3. That area seems to have high run ins with grizzlies, not to far from Yellowstone. I’d be on high alert around there.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:

something in a 45-70?

crew-served with wheels and VT frag would be my preference, but apparently does not leave the pelt in useful condition.

That's what my dad said they had when working for the NPS in Glacier years ago. 45-70 for bears.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ive alays wondered why you folks in grizzly country dont carry an ak on 3 point sling all the time. Is that the incorrect thing to do? 30 rounds decent for close combat. Will it not kill a grizz?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Ive alays wondered why you folks in grizzly country dont carry an ak on 3 point sling all the time. Is that the incorrect thing to do? 30 rounds decent for close combat. Will it not kill a grizz?

Methinks it's all about penetration, and I'm unsure of how well they stack up vs. the big calibers.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post