SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a way to get robo callers to stop calling
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a way to get robo callers to stop calling Login/Join 
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
For cell phones, TrueCall and similar apps.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
If it's an actual wired landline (and not VOIP - since there are other solutions to Internet phones), use a Digitone call blocker. I have one and it does a good job although it does require some manual input where you tell it which numbers or groups of numbers to block. You can also set it up to only allow specific numbers or contacts to dial thru, but that approach likely won't work if you're expecting calls regarding your resume.

I used a Digitone years ago when we still had a landline. It is a very neat device, with lots of configurability. For blocking, it can use wildcards, so you can block an entire area code (e.g., 202-***-****) or an exchange.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
ask them what kind of underwear they're wearing?

Robots don't wear underwear. Or do they? Confused

If the number isn't one of my contacts or something I'm otherwise expecting, it doesn't get answered. That's all I know to do.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Cell phone or land line? Cell phone, get a call blocker and set it up to block calls from places NOT in your contact list. That's how mine is set on an Android handset. I have yet to find a good one for the wife's Apple handset. Land Line? Unplug the damn phone is the only solution I know.

Good Luck,

RMD

It is trivial on the iPhone. In settings under Do Not Disturb, tell it to let calls from folks in your contacts through. Then put your phone in Do Not Disturb mode and leave it that way all the time. If you check your call log you will see the missed calls, but your phone will not ring. If you have a missed call and they didn't leave a message, they must have been a spammer - smile and move on. No app needed, this is just using the phone OS.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your cell line is on AT&T, install the AT&T Call Protect app.

I answer the calls because I do have unknown but valid numbers calling me during house buying process. If it is spam, I elected to talk to the human scum, say yes to everything and that I am very interested in whatever scam they're peddling, and ask them to wait for me to run downstairs and get my credit card.. and they wait, sometimes more than 15 minutes before hanging up. Name I always used is Tony Wong.. they have probably cursed that darn Tony Wong many times for playing them. But my thinking is, the longer they wait on the phone for me, the less people they can bother.

I noticed that after doing that to a few of them, they must've blacklisted me because I started to get less calls.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nat do not call list worked great for me

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Nat do not call list worked great for me

We are on that list, and still get these damned calls.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a Google Voice number and attach it to your cell phone as a new/secondary number and use it for your job search, then aggressively block and otherwise ignore all unrecognized or unwanted calls on your primary/old number. Given the newness and relative anonymity of the new Google Voice number, it's about the best you can expect in terms of privacy when mixed with the lists and features of your phone.

But be aware, if you post your resume to Monster.com or other similar websites, including LinkedIn, and include your phone number - that data is being mined/scraped and you're essentially announcing your number to the world, and thus the cycle repeats. I would keep a phone number off your resume, only giving it out on a case by case basis once it makes sense. In today's age, in most industries, an email is enough in the early stages.

That's what I'd do, in your shoes.

Good luck.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yep. If I don't recognize the number, I will not answer the call. They can leave a VM if they're legit. No voicemail after a call from a number I don't recognize? The number gets blocked.

Same here on our landline, we push a button to block any such phone number. Problem is our landline phone call block memory is full. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
If it's an actual wired landline (and not VOIP - since there are other solutions to Internet phones), use a Digitone call blocker. I have one and it does a good job although it does require some manual input where you tell it which numbers or groups of numbers to block. You can also set it up to only allow specific numbers or contacts to dial thru, but that approach likely won't work if you're expecting calls regarding your resume.

I have the same device after doing a lot research.
Easy to block but a bit complicated to program.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The solution is to find these fucks and live stream them being tortured them to death.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
The thing that sucks about the same area code and prefix algorithm is that it can do almost 10000 iterations before its exhausted.

Ima change my numba. Again and again. Mad

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I can tell you that so far, waiting to get a person on the line and trolling them or wasting their time as much as possible doesn't seem to be helping... I get 2 or 3 of them a day lately.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
I can tell you that so far, waiting to get a person on the line and trolling them or wasting their time as much as possible doesn't seem to be helping... I get 2 or 3 of them a day lately.

Dont bother. It's all automated.

The servers ought to to napalmed.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post