SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a way to get robo callers to stop calling
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a way to get robo callers to stop calling Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
I get several calls a day from the same phone numbers several days a week.
I know the callers are now spoofing numbers from your area code and the first three numbers of your phone number to try to get you to answer your phone.
I let the answering machine pick up if i dont recognize the number. They hardly ever leave a message.
I can block the numbers but they will just change their number.
Is there any computer program or device I can install that will call them back and tell them to stop calling or I will take some sort of legal action.
In Florida there are lawyers advertising that they can get you so much per unwanted call. I don't know anyone who has gone this rout to see if it actually works.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
ask them what kind of underwear they're wearing?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Cell phone or land line? Cell phone, get a call blocker and set it up to block calls from places NOT in your contact list. That's how mine is set on an Android handset. I have yet to find a good one for the wife's Apple handset. Land Line? Unplug the damn phone is the only solution I know.

Good Luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Some of 'em are from offshore. Good luck collecting.

We eliminated 99-44/100% of the problem on our landline by moving it to VoIP, where the provider supplies optional, selectable, highly-sophisticated "call treatments" that discourage robocalling.

I get little of it on my mobile because my provider supplies an optional filtering/blocking mechanism, which I've activated, and because I never answer numbers I do not recognize.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
National do not call list. It stopped all that crap and if someone does call then very unpolitely ask the name of their company and state that you are on the national do not call list and you are going to report them. Calls stop pretty quickly.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Cell phone or land line? Cell phone, get a call blocker and set it up to block calls from places NOT in your contact list. That's how mine is set on an Android handset. I have yet to find a good one for the wife's Apple handset. Land Line? Unplug the damn phone is the only solution I know.

Good Luck,

RMD

I get calls on my cell phone and land line. Mostly on my land line
I don't want to block calls not on my contact list. I am currently looking for a new job and have my cell on my resume.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
It that case, grin and bear it.

Good luck with the job.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zdog16:
National do not call list. It stopped all that crap and if someone does call then very unpolitely ask the name of their company and state that you are on the national do not call list and you are going to report them. Calls stop pretty quickly.

Unfortunately, while that worked for many US based call centers so many are overseas mainly India. They don't care about the penalties.

I read something just the other day that just answering the phone when one of these places calls puts you on a list as a live number. Then you can get more calls.

I've started to get them on my cell. I don't answer them but still a PIA.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zdog16:

I wish that had worked for me

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been searching for solutions for this for the past year. Since our elected officials won't penalize companies spoofing caller-id, there's not much we can do. I talked to someone from the FCC earlier this year and that's what they told me. Call your representative.

Block lists are mostly useless now for telemarketers since their caller-id is a random neighbor.

For cell phones, as others have said you can set your options to make all calls not on your contact list go directly to voicemail.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You could try insults: "Your mama was a vacuum cleaner!"

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I loved the spoofed phone numbers that show up on my phone- My area code and my exchange. Only the last 4 numbers are different.

Sure, yeah, I was born yesterday. I reject these calls and block the numbers.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Cell phone or land line? Cell phone, get a call blocker and set it up to block calls from places NOT in your contact list. That's how mine is set on an Android handset. I have yet to find a good one for the wife's Apple handset.

On the iPhone, it is called "Do Not Disturb". You can use it for call blocking by setting it to only accept calls from certain groups (the group can be your Contacts, or subsets of the Contacts).

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Obvious
posted Hide Post
If you are having an issue with them on your cell phone install an app called Hiya (its for iphone and android). It is community maintained so the list gets updated constantly.

When someone calls it identifies them as spam, telemarketer, bill collector, etc just by looking at the phone.

Posts: 3364 | Registered: July 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My land line service has a function called "Nomorobo." It automatically blocks robocalls, and it's free. Check with your service provider.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You could try insults: "Your mama was a vacuum cleaner!"

I tend to tell those bozo telemarketers: Yo momma so fat, her blood type is gravy.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've been evaluating the suggestion from this site made a month or 2 ago:

only have cell phone, still get several spam calls minimum per day despite failed 'do not call' national list.

I put phone on 'sleep mode' with the little moon showing; phone will not ring unless from # on my contact list. None of the swine calls leave voice mail. If no voice mail/not on my contact list, # gets blocked on regular routine.

While not completely satisfactory, it's better answer than what I had before. Thanks Sig Forum Phone Spam Hot Line Guy, whoever it was.

Good luck.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Simple answer: no, you can't stop those turds. If we don't recognize a number we don't answer. Anyone wants us they can leave a voicemail and MAYBE we'll return the call.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yep. If I don't recognize the number, I will not answer the call. They can leave a VM if they're legit. No voicemail after a call from a number I don't recognize? The number gets blocked.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
If it's an actual wired landline (and not VOIP - since there are other solutions to Internet phones), use a Digitone call blocker. I have one and it does a good job although it does require some manual input where you tell it which numbers or groups of numbers to block. You can also set it up to only allow specific numbers or contacts to dial thru, but that approach likely won't work if you're expecting calls regarding your resume.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post