SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BTW: What ever happened to Da' Bola?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BTW: What ever happened to Da' Bola? Login/Join 
posted
Anyone heard about it lately? Are we all dead? Maybe it was just another F'n scam to get government money to pay for research projects?

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Everybody who didn't make it to their boonker, is dead of Da Bola. Anybody in their boonker, is a well trained Da Bola.

Not sure that's how the saying goes, but what do I know? I'm dead.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
SARS gave me immunity to the Bola.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I think what happens is that it kills quickly and usually happens in isolated villages. Being overcome quickly and with a great distance between neighboring villages without any motor transport, they don't get to spread it to those villages. I also believe it needs very close contact with infected people, not just spreading through the air with a cough or sneeze. So, in effect, it "burns itself out." The case in the United States was an extreme outlier.

The Tom Clancy novel Executive Orders depicts a purposeful Ebola attack on the United States. It did kill a few thousand, but the perpetrators didn't get the mass annihilation they were hoping for.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Ebola is still around and we are still working on a vaccine with USAMRID, CDC, NIH, and WHO. Ebola outbreaks tend to burn out quickly compared to other diseases due to the high mortality and route of transmission.

Hopefully, the vaccine will help both as a preventative and theraputic measure. The initial testing has been encouraging but now funding has been shifted due to the outbreak winding down.

Just some info from the vaccine world,

Mike (Molecular Biologist and Immunologist)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
When people and agencies make efforts to suppress a disease like Ebola, that’s what often happens: It gets suppressed. It’s sort of like fighting a fire. If no one fights the fire, it tends to spread and burn down lots of stuff (if conditions are right). If the firefighters come and fight it, they usually put it out. Ebola has mostly burned itself out, but people helped the process.

Ebola isn’t really dead, though, and probably never will be. It’s being found that many people who evidently recovered from the disease are suffering long term effects. Also, it’s been discovered that the virus can remain viable in victims’ bodies for months after they stopped showing symptoms, and therefore can still be transmitted.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Media is so focused on Russia and Trump that an Ebola outbreak could happen live on CNN and the story would still be Trump and how he is Russia's puppet.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you go the doctor or dentist around here you get asked if you have been to Africa in the past 21 days?
The Mennonite population around here does a lot of missionary work in Africa and South America, and there are people who go there all the time, so guess exposure is possible?

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I think what happens is that it kills quickly and usually happens in isolated villages. Being overcome quickly and with a great distance between neighboring villages without any motor transport, they don't get to spread it to those villages. I also believe it needs very close contact with infected people, not just spreading through the air with a cough or sneeze. So, in effect, it "burns itself out." The case in the United States was an extreme outlier.

The Tom Clancy novel Executive Orders depicts a purposeful Ebola attack on the United States. It did kill a few thousand, but the perpetrators didn't get the mass annihilation they were hoping for.

Also, in that book, that strain of Ebola was air-borne. While this has been suspected of the deadly kinds like Ebola Zaire, it has never been proven in real life (Ebola Reston, as in Reston, Virginia, was airborne, but that only affected monkeys). Fortunately, for us, the episode we had here showed that it's a lot harder to get/spread Ebola than previously thought.

Hopefully, it taught the CDC and local authorities a thing or two about the effectiveness of self-imposed quarantine, after both a nurse and a doctor broke quarantine after knowingly treated an Ebola patient (IIRC, the nurse hopped on a cross-country flight and the Dr went out for soup). This is exactly how all those 'super-flu' movies like The Stand always start - ONE guy breaks quarantine and kills 95% of the population.

Ebola is still out there. It will crop up from time to time, as nobody yet knows where the virus hangs out when not involved with an active outbreak.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Reston in the Virgina primate labs was never fully confirmed to be airborne (small droplet aerosol). It is highly likely the humans were infected by large droplet aerosol, which is like being sneezed or coughed on. Monkeys are also notorious for spreading bodily fluids around areas where they are kept. The humans could also have been infected by poor use of universal precautions and PPE. There is still no solid evidence that Ebola Reston is a real airborne virus.

More infections occur in labs due to carelessness on the part of scientists and animal handlers than actual real transmission of the pathogens. When you work with something daily, you must guard against growing complacent about safety practices. I have served a safety lead and became notorious for correcting my associates on wearing their PPE and following proper safety protocols. The common excuses are always, "Well, I just have go into the lab for a moment, etc."

Just my $0.02,

Mike (Scientist working in Vaccine research)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Still waiting for it to fall in love with bird flu, and make a baby.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
General McClintock took care of it. He proceeded with conventional containment...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
West Nile Virus, SARS, Hanta Virus, Ebola, Zika, Zima, what have you.

Tools used as scare tactics by the press, to generate ad revenue.

When the shit gets real, you'll know it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting for Fukishima radiation to kill us all on the west coast, they said that was gonna happen like five years ago. Here I am, got my cans of Spam, and my spam cans of ammo, gas mask and Swiss Army poncho to keep the fallout off me, and it's a regular fucking Wednesday. This is bullshit, I was promised radioactive wastelands and gangs of horny mutants, and instead I just have regular junkies and a stupid job.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there is a way to channel all that Fukashima radiation into a single building in Sacramento?

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
The Fukushima radiation killed off da 'bola. What wasn't killed will be back in a few years as Capt. Tripps.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
I'm still waiting for Fukishima radiation to kill us all on the west coast, they said that was gonna happen like five years ago. Here I am, got my cans of Spam, and my spam cans of ammo, gas mask and Swiss Army poncho to keep the fallout off me, and it's a regular fucking Wednesday. This is bullshit, I was promised radioactive wastelands and gangs of horny mutants, and instead I just have regular junkies and a stupid job.
It's gonna be like The Book of Eli. You will have to carry the Chack-Chack Speech in your head and wait for the chance to pass it on to future generations.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
In 2014, the US military deployed to affected countries in Africa and taught the local populace to not cook/wash/bathe in the same waters they shit and how to wash their freakin' hands, so that took care of the bulk of the issue. Filthy savages...literally.

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brywards:
In 2014, the US military deployed to affected countries in Africa and taught the local populace to not cook/wash/bathe in the same waters they shit and how to wash their freakin' hands, so that took care of the bulk of the issue. Filthy savages...literally.
Sometimes I wish this forum had a 'thumbs up' option I could click on posts or replies.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Also, in that book, that strain of Ebola was air-borne. While this has been suspected of the deadly kinds like Ebola Zaire, it has never been proven in real life (Ebola Reston, as in Reston, Virginia, was airborne, but that only affected monkeys). Fortunately, for us, the episode we had here showed that it's a lot harder to get/spread Ebola than previously thought.

Hopefully, it taught the CDC and local authorities a thing or two about the effectiveness of self-imposed quarantine, after both a nurse and a doctor broke quarantine after knowingly treated an Ebola patient (IIRC, the nurse hopped on a cross-country flight and the Dr went out for soup). This is exactly how all those 'super-flu' movies like The Stand always start - ONE guy breaks quarantine and kills 95% of the population.

Ebola is still out there. It will crop up from time to time, as nobody yet knows where the virus hangs out when not involved with an active outbreak.

Rainbow Six also deals with an engineered Ebola attack.

Posts: 734 | Location: Tucson | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post