SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stuck lightbulb
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stuck lightbulb Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it out.

Going forward:

Thought 1 - Maybe forget about that fixture altogether and put a lamp module on the fan?

Thought 2 - LED lights are a great choice. Be aware that they do not come in a huge variety of colors. "White" isn't white - the output of "white" light bulbs vary widely in color (orangish, bluish, greenish) and your eye adjusts. Unless there are two different types of "white" light bulbs in view at the same time. In that case, your eye decides on what is 'white' and everything else will seem colored.

White light 'colors' are specified by a 'color temperature'. Your best hope for a replacement that won't look weird is to try for an LED bulb that with a 'color temperature' that is close to the 'color temperature' rating of the light bulbs you have in the rest of that room.

But whatever you do, check the color of any replacement in an easy-to-remove socket in that room at night, before you put it in the ceiling fixture. If it looks odd in context of the existing room lighting, return that one and try again. Better to find that out at floor level than having to finess it out of the ceiling.

Thought 3 - Definitely put your choice of lube on the threads if you are going to put in a replacement. I use 'bulb grease' but there are other lube alternatives.

Thought 4 - It might be a good idea to put replacing/securing that fixture on a 'to do' list for the next time you have an electrician out for some other purpose.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's my 8' ladder under the light.

JUMP!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Glad you got it out.

Going forward:

Thought 1 - Maybe forget about that fixture altogether and put a lamp module on the fan?

Thought 2 - LED lights are a great choice. Be aware that they do not come in a huge variety of colors. "White" isn't white - the output of "white" light bulbs vary widely in color (orangish, bluish, greenish) and your eye adjusts. Unless there are two different types of "white" light bulbs in view at the same time. In that case, your eye decides on what is 'white' and everything else will seem colored.

White light 'colors' are specified by a 'color temperature'. Your best hope for a replacement that won't look weird is to try for an LED bulb that with a 'color temperature' that is close to the 'color temperature' rating of the light bulbs you have in the rest of that room.

But whatever you do, check the color of any replacement in an easy-to-remove socket in that room at night, before you put it in the ceiling fixture. If it looks odd in context of the existing room lighting, return that one and try again. Better to find that out at floor level than having to finess it out of the ceiling.

Thought 3 - Definitely put your choice of lube on the threads if you are going to put in a replacement. I use 'bulb grease' but there are other lube alternatives.

Thought 4 - It might be a good idea to put replacing/securing that fixture on a 'to do' list for the next time you have an electrician out for some other purpose.

They finally have got the color thing down, it's not a problem anymore if you buy quality.

2700k = standard incandescent
3000k = halogen
3500-4000 = metal halide (commercial/retail lighting)
4000k = standard office florescent lighting.
5,000 = daylight. I hate this color, it looks blue, but it's what I put in GF's office so she can do her artsy/photog stuff.

Get lamps with CRI (color rendering index) of 85+, 90+.if you can. This number tells you how long it will retain original colors.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20812 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Cut yourself a 3/4" x 3/4" piece of wood out of a piece of pine trim as long or longer than your suction cup extension pole. Fold a 3/4" wide piece of duct tape over on itself and attach to your new stick with a thumbtack. Have someone spot you on your ladder. With the new stick, hold it firmly against the edge of the trim so it doesn't turn. With the other hand, use the suction cup pole to remove the bulb. Reverse process to replace bulb.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Three pages on a stuck lightbulb. Impressive.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107497 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Three pages on a stuck lightbulb. Impressive.
And only two lightbulb jokes.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post