SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stuck lightbulb
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stuck lightbulb Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
Cathedral ceiling, at least 15' feet up, recessed floodlight fixture with eyeball trim. I have one of the long poll with suction cup thingies, but when I try to turn the bulb, the whole fixture, or at least the trim, rotates with it. It's a long shot, but any suggestions for removing the bulb (other than get a taller ladder)?

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Attic above maybe? Doubt it from description, and that's a mess. Before setting up scaffolding I'd see about renting a 16' stepladder and find a friend you can trust to steady. I mean REALLY trust....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I want to see pictures of the 16' rented ladder under the 15' ceiling. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Have you tried cussing at it?

A 10 or 12 foot ladder would be sufficient. LED replacements and if you're lucky (I'm not), you'll never need to replace them ever again.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlREIwB6NS0

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want to see pictures of the 16' rented ladder under the 15' ceiling.

You got to tilt the ladder so it will work. Bet you did not think of that.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Yeah, bu when you lean it over, it falls when you climb it. Get a shorter ladder.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched the You Tube video above. I've done the same thing, but you have a different problem. your fixture sounds like it isn't secure You're probably going to have to stabliize the fixture while you turn the bulb. If you can't do it from above, you're going to have to do it from below. The duc tape may work, but if you pull part of the connection loose, you'll have a bigger problem. If it were me, I'd just get the ladder,or tolerate the burned out bulb.

One other point. if you have more of those bulbs in similar fixtures, if you're going to the trouble to change one, change them all. If they are all the same age and have had the same use, they are probably going to start burning out one by one.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can tell you this from experience; when you have the ladder or scaffold in place and are all of the way up there, hoping it is a true friend (or friends) holding the ladder, you will find that the bulb screws out very easily.
Then you will juggle it around and drop it next to your good friend.
Then you will climb down, climb back up, put in a new bulb and remove the ladder.
Then you will check the light switch and find the new bulb does not light.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Mossberg 500 pump in 12 ga?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Yeah, bu when you lean it over, it falls when you climb it. Get a shorter ladder.

Sorry I meant that to be sarcastic.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
First, get a small safe. About 2x2x2 feet.
Second, get 100 pounds of FFF blackpowder and 25 feet of cannon fuse.
Third, dig a 2x2x6 foot deep hole, angled in the general direction of your house.
Fourth, put 10 pounds of blackpowder in the bottom of the hole, with one end of the cannon fuse embedded in it.
Fifth, put the safe in the hole.
Then, light cannon fuse.

Adjust the angle of the hole to get the trajectory correct.

Repeat until you land the safe on top of the light fixture.

Or rent a 12 foot A frame ladder.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31429 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
depending on type of bulb, we had one with an old reflector-spot incandescent style with screw in base. Renter broke the bulb trying to remove/replace.

Unable to access any part of the metal base as it was below level of the socket fitting.

Solved with mere 10' ladder & handy set of needle nose pliers. Kill the circuit, jammed the needle nose purposefully into the exposed socket innards, & turned it out easily since no corrosion was involved. New bulb screwed in easily & unit lit on command.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
depending on type of bulb, we had one with an old reflector-spot incandescent style with screw in base. Renter broke the bulb trying to remove/replace.

Unable to access any part of the metal base as it was below level of the socket fitting.

Solved with mere 10' ladder & handy set of needle nose pliers. Kill the circuit, jammed the needle nose purposefully into the exposed socket innards, & turned it out easily since no corrosion was involved. New bulb screwed in easily & unit lit on command.

The needle nose pliers into the guts of the base was the method I've always heard of using for a stuck bulb. Just be 100% certain the circuit is dead before sticking your pliers in there!

Posts: 33770 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The needle nose pliers into the guts of the base was the method I've always heard of using for a stuck bulb. Just be 100% certain the circuit is dead before sticking your pliers in there!

[HUMOR MODE]Ah come on, it is only 110 (really 120 volts, but for some reason we call it 110). It won't do more than tickle you a little. As long as you aren't ticklish and don't jump/fall off the 10 or 12 foot ladder, you'll be fine. [/HUMOR MODE]

Turn the circuit off and downing the breaker is a really good idea. It isn't the shock or even the fall, but the landing that will do the damage...

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Buy a Little Giant ladder. Extend it all the way. Try doing that without smashing your fingers or toes. Then climb the ladder and unscrew the dead bulb. Screw in the new one. Get someone on earth to flip the switch to see that it works. Don't collapse the ladder until you're sure you don't need another bulb.

Yes, LED bulbs are better and easier than the other choices. Incandescent is fine because it gives you a warm light. CFL is awful and if you drop it, the EPA will declare your living room a Superfund site.

The Little Giant ladders even have wheels that help you roll it around. Disclaimer: I'm not Mormon, of FLDS or whoever it is that markets them. I'm even glad I bought one along with the never used accessories.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
If needed, you might look into renting a scissors lift.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
HUMOR MODE]Ah come on, it is only 110 (really 120 volts, but for some reason we call it 110). It won't do more than tickle you a little. As long as you aren't ticklish and don't jump/fall off the 10 or 12 foot ladder, you'll be fine. [/HUMOR MODE]

I make really funny sounds when I get zapped, instantly.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
This won't help your problem now, but to prevent this issue I put a bit of silicone grease on the threads of light bulbs to make them easy to unscrew. I get it from the "plumbing" section of Home Depot.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately there is no solution to this. You must do it from a ladder.

15' ceiling height makes no sense. Likely is 18-20'. Standard 8' height ceilings x 2 = 16', plus 18"-24" floor joists = 17.5'. Newer homes which Dallas just moved into one, are usually 9' or more ceilings. A 16' ladder is the correct one for the job unless it's not a full two stories.

If you called our company to do it you would be looking at $425.00 Two electricians 1 hr labor, plus we charge $75 for the ladder. I'd suggest having replacement LED lamps for that one and the remaining fixtures. If you skipped out on the lamp changing it would still be $325.00 just for us to change the one bulb.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post