SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let's Chat - Spark Plugs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's Chat - Spark Plugs Login/Join 
posted
So, getting ready to do 100K service on my "commuter car" - 2010 1.8L Honda Civic LX and beyond normal fluid changes the only real service item is spark plugs.

I know the car came with Denso or NGK Iridium's but I am looking at trying something else and seriously considering E3's...Has anyone had any experience with them?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
So, getting ready to do 100K service on my "commuter car" - 2010 1.8L Honda Civic LX and beyond normal fluid changes the only real service item is spark plugs.

I know the car came with Denso or NGK Iridium's but I am looking at trying something else and seriously considering E3's...Has anyone had any experience with them?

honestly, on that car you aren't going to notice any difference in fuel economy, emissions, etc. I would stick with NGK Iridium, or whatever the manufacturer reccomends.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
My family has a 2004 and a 2005 civic. Go with Ngk and Denso and you won't get any surprises. Does your car need a transmission fluid drain at that milage? How about antifreeze? I know you have checked the manual. On my older ones you had to replace the timing belt ( now replaced with a chain), water pump, chain tensioner, etc.; a 8-10 hour job in the pole barn.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I had to look up what an E3 spark plug is. I found this:

Having installed many hundreds of spark plugs in a variety of cars, I can tell you that, very often, substituting even a different brand, let alone some gimmick, of spark plug for the OEM, can cause a variety of driveability problems. For example, the engine MIL coming on with misfire codes even if you don't actually feel a miss, or loss of power or fuel economy. It's possible these E3s could be the best thing since sliced bacon, or cause your car to run like crap, or not do anything at all. I don't know. At least in a Honda Civic they're easy to change back.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I have always used and have had good luck with the Denso or NGK Iridium's on my Acuras. However, after watching this video, I'd be willing to give them a try. If you do, let us know your results. It seems like you should be able to tell within a short period of time if they improve your fuel economy.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
My family has a 2004 and a 2005 civic. Go with Ngk and Denso and you won't get any surprises. Does your car need a transmission fluid drain at that milage? How about antifreeze? I know you have checked the manual. On my older ones you had to replace the timing belt ( now replaced with a chain), water pump, chain tensioner, etc.; a 8-10 hour job in the pole barn.

Yes, on the fluids and from what i am reading a tranny flush is NOT the way to go and it is a simples train and fill.

I can do al work myself for a fraction of what a shop wants

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
a tranny flush is NOT the way to go and it is a simple drain and fill.

Yes, very important. Drain and fill. If it's really dirty or it's been a long time you have to repeat the process 3X.
If you do it every other oil change, just 3 quarts.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I had to look up what an E3 spark plug is. I found this:

Having installed many hundreds of spark plugs in a variety of cars, I can tell you that, very often, substituting even a different brand, let alone some gimmick, of spark plug for the OEM, can cause a variety of driveability problems. For example, the engine MIL coming on with misfire codes even if you don't actually feel a miss, or loss of power or fuel economy. It's possible these E3s could be the best thing since sliced bacon, or cause your car to run like crap, or not do anything at all. I don't know. At least in a Honda Civic they're easy to change back.

That is the worst plug to use since it has three instead of one electrode blocking the spark.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

However, after watching this video, I'd be willing to give them a try.

I don't have any sound right now, but nowhere do I see those plugs actually run in an engine, just a dramatization of this big fireball spark. A real test would be in a variety of modern engines (not an old-fashioned carbureted V8) with a dynamometer to measure the horsepower before and after, and considerable road testing for gas mileage, also before and after. I'll wager E3 is paying whatshisface for this.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DO NOT USE AN E3 PLUG.

It's a gimmick. It's made in China. Stacey David gets paid to talk it up.

Whatever was OE or a quality OE equivalent is what you should use.

The person who runs E3 is a tool of the first order. 100% snake oil and crap like this is what gives my industry a bad name.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would look up the the cylinder head configuration and see the location of the injectors in relation to the spark plug to determine whether it is wise to index your plugs.

Here is the standard plug you are using.

Here is a Bosch plug I got at WalMart clearance which will not block the spark from the intake valve or injector in most cases. I will use them in my 1992 Buick Roadmaster.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
DO NOT USE AN E3 PLUG.
It's a gimmick. It's made in China. Stacey David gets paid to talk it up.
Whatever was OE or a quality OE equivalent is what you should use.
The person who runs E3 is a tool of the first order. 100% snake oil and crap like this is what gives my industry a bad name.

Huh. I trust dusty3030 a lot more than a paid video commercial and won't try them.

-rduckwor

Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
The iridium plugs will give a consistent spark over their 80k plus mile life span.
I suspect the E3's will wear out sooner and require replacement.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
The iridium plugs will give a consistent spark over their 80k plus mile life span.
I suspect the E3's will wear out sooner and require replacement.

Maybe. I have never tested a used iridium plug but my experience is that the center ceramic part breaks down on the copper plugs and the spark now jumps over inside the plug and not at the tip.

I was running a CD ignition I built on a 66 Corvette and it would run fine normally except at high RPMs where it would miss. I had a lot of miles on the plug.

I checked some of the plugs on the bench with an old B24 magneto and that is when I noticed it was arcing down inside the plug.

You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I'd replace with Stock, the computer in the car was made to run on them and the electronics controlling the engine these days are more sensitive to changes in voltage and such caused by different plugs. Best bet and probably most affordable too is replace with factory spec stuff.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I got over 60K miles on a V6 2011 Tacoma using NGK Iridium plugs.
Traded truck, so new owner may have gotten additional miles from these plugs.
Well worth the price.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Been working on cars since the late 60's and you can't go wrong with stock, if you want I think NGK offers a triple electrode plug also.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:

Go to the dealer and buy a new set from them, or figure out what part numbers they are and get the OEM plugs on Amazon. Don't waste your time. You are not going to gain a thing by getting any different type.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Input was appreciated and as expected...I have always been leery of gimmicks but someone locally was talking the E3's up.

I usually use NGK in other applications so i will just stick with that

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've owned two Acura's(AKA Honda's). Stay with the stock OEM plug. NGK is the go to plug for Honda/Acura. Stay with whatever is the stock plug.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16394 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post