SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    higher end dress shoes...what do we like?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

higher end dress shoes...what do we like? Login/Join 
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I want to be in the market for a pair so badly....

Those look great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Allen Edmonds

^^^^^^^&

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

Those look great.

I was a little nervous and wasn't sure about the color, but they look great in person. They are a little tricky to polish I found out with all of the stitching and such. I bought the AE premium polish in walnut and I am not super impressed with it. Luckily I also bought a can of the old school polish (neutral) so once the premium stuff is gone I'm going back to that. I bought the old school polish for my black shoes and it works just as well as the Lincoln polish I used to use on active duty. Polishing my black shoes brought back a lot of memories! Now I need a shine box.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:

Those look great.

I was a little nervous and wasn't sure about the color, but they look great in person. They are a little tricky to polish I found out with all of the stitching and such. I bought the AE premium polish in walnut and I am not super impressed with it. Luckily I also bought a can of the old school polish (neutral) so once the premium stuff is gone I'm going back to that. I bought the old school polish for my black shoes and it works just as well as the Lincoln polish I used to use on active duty. Polishing my black shoes brought back a lot of memories! Now I need a shine box.
I love the look of brown, but getting it right with the polish is hard!

Every time I polish black shoes I feel like I'm supposed to have a dip in my lip and a beer next to me. It just doesn't feel right, and there may be something to that beer/dip swill that makes the shine seem shinier.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Those look great.

Every time I polish black shoes I feel like I'm supposed to have a dip in my lip and a beer next to me. It just doesn't feel right, and there may be something to that beer/dip swill that makes the shine seem shinier.

I was drinking beer while polishing mine on Saturday night. We had a father daughter dance and with three daughters I can't afford to show up wearing some cheap, dull shoes. I spent two hours, nearly 5 coats of polish, and they looked amazing. Polishing shoes is great because you really have to put a lot of effort into it to make them look nice, so it separates the men from the boys. No half-assing allowed or it will show.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Those look great.

I was drinking beer while polishing mine on Saturday night. We had a father daughter dance and with three daughters I can't afford to show up wearing some cheap, dull shoes. I spent two hours, nearly 5 coats of polish, and they looked amazing. Polishing shoes is great because you really have to put a lot of effort into it to make them look nice, so it separates the men from the boys. No half-assing allowed or it will show.
Truth and wisdom.

If I didn't have so much work to do tonight....I'd grab a beer and sit down in front of the TV to polish some boots.

Also...for those who shouldn't/can't be spending $200 on a pair of shoes right now....don't even look at the allen edmonds site. There's some really fantastic deals going on right now.

www.rikrlandvs.com

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Nike

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
quote:
I went with the....

Park avenues! I went in thinking Yorktowns all the way, but the Park's fit me better. So glad I went in the store and it was actually easy to get down to the Harbor East location in Baltimore (for anyone local.) Parking is usually an issue but it was only 7 bucks to park in the garage directly behind the store.

I just couldn't turn down AE's amazing military discount. I was able to purchase the shoes, trees, and a belt, for $150 cheaper than just the Alden's across the street at Brooks Brothers. I liked both about the same, and I just couldn't justify the extra for the Alden's. Now that I bought one pair I can see this will be addictive. I need some brown shoes to go with these and the salesman mentioned next month there will be some big sale for their anniversary Big Grin

The anniversary sale is on. Check out the website. 150 off some of the best sellers.

I was just about to post something today. Picked up these for only $245! Matching belt also on clearance for $78! This is addictive.

Beautiful shoes. I got the same walnut color today in a cap toe. These go beautifully with navy, light grey, and brown or khaki slacks.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've been working hard to resist a couple of pairs with the sale going on.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:

Beautiful shoes. I got the same walnut color today in a cap toe. These go beautifully with navy, light grey, and brown or khaki slacks.

Wore them today with these chinos from Brooks Brothers...
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/...ntentpos=6&cgid=0220

looked great.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Perhaps there should be a supplemental thread on how to polish shoes. Not sure whether 5 coats is impressive or ridiculous... BTW, I'm on the AE band wagon too.

Posts: 295 | Location: TX | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel96:
quote:

Perhaps there should be a supplemental thread on how to polish shoes. Not sure whether 5 coats is impressive or ridiculous... BTW, I'm on the AE band wagon too.

First time? Depends....I was always a fan of the melted polish poured over heated leather. 5 coats is about the same thing. It gives you that base layer to build on that produces a deep, mirror like finish.

www.rikrlandvs.com

posted Hide Post
quote:

First time? Depends....I was always a fan of the melted polish poured over heated leather. 5 coats is about the same thing. It gives you that base layer to build on that produces a deep, mirror like finish.

I honestly never learned the correct way to polish shoes. I have treated my AE's the same, give them the once over.

At the Marriott in Teaneck, NJ, there's a shoe shiner who knows his $@*# and did a fantastic job on my shoes. He said he would need to polish them another 2-3 time before they really looked good. Unfortunately, never got more than one polish.

Sorry for the tangent, but it's good to know how to take proper care of these expensive shoes.

Posts: 295 | Location: TX | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Allen Edmunds, made in America, worn by Presidents and me.

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mephisto or Ecco. Lasts forever, shines up beautifully.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel96:
quote:

I honestly never learned the correct way to polish shoes. I have treated my AE's the same, give them the once over.

At the Marriott in Teaneck, NJ, there's a shoe shiner who knows his $@*# and did a fantastic job on my shoes. He said he would need to polish them another 2-3 time before they really looked good. Unfortunately, never got more than one polish.

Sorry for the tangent, but it's good to know how to take proper care of these expensive shoes.

Initially, I wouldn't even wear my black shoes until I got five coats on there (sadly, last Saturday was the first chance I had to polish them, so it was the first time I wore them.) It really protects the shoe and makes them look good. Now that I have a good base on there I can just touch them up here and there as needed, shouldn't need to go that crazy again. But they should gradually start looking even better with the more coats I get on there. Give me a month and they will truly have a mirror shine, at least on the toes. I was still happy with the initial polishing though, but I want them to really stand out.

So with the black shoes, I did it basic training style. A can of polish, water, and cotton balls. Use a damp cotton ball to wipe down each shoe, then dry off each shoe with a rag. Use the same damp cotton ball to grab a little bit of wax (about the size of your pinky nail), apply it all over the shoe. Rub it in good, and buff to a shine with a different damp cotton ball. This should take around 5-10 min on average for one coat. Do that process however many times until you like the results. I did mine 3 or 4 coats all over, and then a few extra on the toes/heels since those are the high wear/tear sections and I like the way the toe looks when it has that mirror shine (it was pretty close after extensive polishing/buffing/elbow grease.)

Some people will heat the polish, either while it is in the can, out of the can (in lid), or after it's been applied (with a blow dryer, heat gun, some even use a lighter). I didn't want to risk anything since I wasn't working with government issued (i.e. free) shoes, but I used to use that method with very good results (heating polish after it has been applied to the shoe or boot with a heat gun.) If you are new, I wouldn't recommend it, because I have read that it isn't good for the leather.

For my walnut shoes, I bought the premium polish from AE, which comes in a tube with a sponge applicator (you just squeeze polish onto applicator and apply.) I also bought a horse hair brush as well as buffing cloths, and I watched a youtube video on this method. Pretty simple really - apply polish with sponge applicator. Remove/dull excess polish with horse hair brush. Buff with buffing cloth to desired shine. I did this about 4 times all over, and one extra time on the toe area, and I have to admit I wasn't super impressed with the results. It did take me considerably less time however (maybe 45 min to an hour) and was less messy. After one day of wearing, they still look good but not great. Like I said before, I am going to use the premium stuff until it's gone and then go to a neutral polish (recommended for colored leather shoes as anything else could potentially change the color of the leather.)

Also worth noting that the youtube video I watched recommended saddle soap before polishing, but I have no experience with that stuff so I can't comment. I am guessing this step is needed for old/dirty shoes as a way of stripping off old polish and cleaning off any dirt/oils in the leather (?)

Good luck! After my next polishing session I will try to post some pictures of the results.

p.s. also, I have been told by many people to ALWAYS use the cedar shoe trees. Not sure if you bought them or not, but it was recommended by so many people I figured I better take the advice.
p.p.s. I am really fighting the urge to pick up another pair of Leiden's in dark brown. Must...resist

Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Allen Edmonds Black Friday sale today. 200 off several nice shoes.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/sa...ckFriday_StartsToday

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post