SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    higher end dress shoes...what do we like?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

higher end dress shoes...what do we like? Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Allen Edmonds

The only shoes I wore with suits back when. Traditional, well made, and recraftable.

Avoid store brands like Brooks.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I am very fond of some of the higher end options from Johnston murphy. They have widths in many of the styles and they will refurbish to almost new for 100 bucks.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Allen Edmonds. My fave.

Posts: 590 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Kenneth Cole Great Style, fit and wear well.
Giorgio Brutini looks good but are Junk.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Remember, a $350 shoe will last 25 years with a resoling or two. A $120 shoe will be worn out after just a few years, and then you throw them away.

Ecco shoes (and probably others of similar manufacture) can be resoled for not a whole lot of money by this company:

http://www.nushoe.com/

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
My Favorite AE shoes were the Sanford. It was a medallion cap toe.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
As with all clothing, you need to wear the shoes to see how they fit YOU.

I prefer Mezlan or Bruno Magli for dress wear.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Allen Edmonds and Mephisto are pretty much the only brands i will buy. Having large wide feet carrying my 240lbs around I could destroy a cheap pair of shoes in 6-12 months. My wife FORCED me to buy a pair of Allen Edmonds about 30 years ago. First week I owned them I was on my feet at a trade show all week. They were as comfortable as tennis shoes. 25 years later I still have those shoes. They have been recrafted a couple times. I now have about 8 pairs from my suit wearing days. Good shoes pay off in the long run in spades!

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Patent Pending
Picture of Tonyny
posted Hide Post
And for something different...

http://www.church-footwear.com/it/en

NRA Life Member

Capital punishment means never having to say, "You again?"

Posts: 4135 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tonyny:
And for something different...

http://www.church-footwear.com/it/en

The shoes may be fine, but why does Madison Ave believe men want to wear clothes/shoes modeled by men appearing to be homo-sexuals and metro-sexual?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:

Remember, a $350 shoe will last 25 years with a resoling or two. A $120 shoe will be worn out after just a few years, and then you throw them away.

Ecco shoes (and probably others of similar manufacture) can be resoled for not a whole lot of money by this company:

http://www.nushoe.com/

Great info - thx!!

---------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
Allen Edmonds and Mephisto are pretty much the only brands i will buy.

I splurged on a pair from Mephisto several years ago, after 10+ years of searching for the right work shoe. I love them. I wish I had spent more, sooner.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Connecticut Shoreline | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Try these and be different! Post pics

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with the....

Park avenues! I went in thinking Yorktowns all the way, but the Park's fit me better. So glad I went in the store and it was actually easy to get down to the Harbor East location in Baltimore (for anyone local.) Parking is usually an issue but it was only 7 bucks to park in the garage directly behind the store.

I just couldn't turn down AE's amazing military discount. I was able to purchase the shoes, trees, and a belt, for $150 cheaper than just the Alden's across the street at Brooks Brothers. I liked both about the same, and I just couldn't justify the extra for the Alden's. Now that I bought one pair I can see this will be addictive. I need some brown shoes to go with these and the salesman mentioned next month there will be some big sale for their anniversary Big Grin

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! PARK AVENUE CAP-TOE OXFORDS. Classic choice!

My AE Park Avenue's were used and abused for a long long time before they succumbed to the torment I inflict upon footwear. I only went over to Alden for the shell cordovan leather.

I've browsed BB, but the smaller shoe stores, the manager/owner usually has some skin in the game. Wants you back for life, and you'll possibly get a better fit (as you did) rather than merely making a sale.

Here's my only remaining pair of Allen Edmonds. They are McGraws, made for the European market, I'm told. They never fit my foot right, and have become hand-me-downs to my brother's growing boy.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Check allen Edmonds for clearance online.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Blackhorse4:
I have two pair of Allen Edmonds that I enjoy wearing both with business dress and business casual. My only comment - if you are drawn to the longer, more narrow styles, do a careful fit check - I take an "E" width instead of a "D" width in those. Alden is my second choice.
Take good care of them - buy good shoe trees and polish - enjoy!!

You have to know your lasts. Some fit different feet better. If there is an Allen Edmonds store nearby, go in and try various models. The salesmen are good, they know which shoe is on which last. The website also describes which last is on which shoe, and a brief description of how they fit. If you called AE, I feel certain they would assist you.

AMEN

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Thanks to this thread I ended up with 2 new pair of Allen Edmonds fifth avenues(black and walnut). They will be used for work and they are really nice so far. FYI these are normally 395 a pair and are on sale for 245. They have an anniversary sale through April 24 with really good discounts. Sig forum is expensive.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
I went with the....

Park avenues! I went in thinking Yorktowns all the way, but the Park's fit me better. So glad I went in the store and it was actually easy to get down to the Harbor East location in Baltimore (for anyone local.) Parking is usually an issue but it was only 7 bucks to park in the garage directly behind the store.

I just couldn't turn down AE's amazing military discount. I was able to purchase the shoes, trees, and a belt, for $150 cheaper than just the Alden's across the street at Brooks Brothers. I liked both about the same, and I just couldn't justify the extra for the Alden's. Now that I bought one pair I can see this will be addictive. I need some brown shoes to go with these and the salesman mentioned next month there will be some big sale for their anniversary Big Grin

The anniversary sale is on. Check out the website. 150 off some of the best sellers.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
I went with the....

The anniversary sale is on. Check out the website. 150 off some of the best sellers.

I was just about to post something today. Picked up these for only $245! Matching belt also on clearance for $78! This is addictive.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post