SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    higher end dress shoes...what do we like?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

higher end dress shoes...what do we like? Login/Join 
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
Am I stupid for wanting a pair of $500 shoes?

Absolutely not. You're doing your due diligence right now, and assuming you're good with your money, and it's your money you're using to buy the shoes, no one should question how you spend it. You don't have to justify to anyone. Enjoy your money and your new shoes.

My two primary mottos:
Life is too short to wear cheap shoes.
Life is too short to drink lousy bourbon.

That said I have 2 pairs of USA made Frye's I really like.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Allen Edmonds. Just got a pair today.

Alden.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
I have two pair of Allen Edmonds that are about 35 yrs old. They have both been factory refinished twice. I will probably be buried in one of them Wink

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1366 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
To Boot New York

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:

Absolutely not. You're doing your due diligence right now, and assuming you're good with your money, and it's your money you're using to buy the shoes, no one should question how you spend it. You don't have to justify to anyone. Enjoy your money and your new shoes.

My two primary mottos:
Life is too short to wear cheap shoes.
Life is too short to drink lousy bourbon.

That said I have 2 pairs of USA made Frye's I really like.

Never go cheap on your shoes or your mattress.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alden makes a great shoe. I have 3 pair that I have rotated daily for the past 10 years. I don't think I could go back to cheaper dress shoes. Theshoemart.com sells seconds for about 60% of retail. You will need to call them to see what they have.

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Allen Edmonds

I completely agree.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Edward Green (British), Carmina (Spanish), Alden (US)
I also really like Paul Evans. Very modern yet classic styles.
Allen Edmonds has been mentioned enough, but you can't go wrong with a pair of Park Avenues.

I'd stay away from Johnston & Murphy. Unlike the above brands which all use either Blake stitch or Goodyear welt, my understanding is that almost all of J&M's shoes are glued these days. (Makes a difference as you can't resole them.)

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Allen Edmonds. I would definitely recommend going to a store and trying them on as the different models use different lasts. For example, I cannot wear the Park Avenues, but I have a pair of Harrisons (I don't believe they offer this model anymore) that work well for me.

The most comfortable higher end dress shoes I have are Mephisto, but they may not be dressy enough for some. Like Allen Edmonds, Mephistos can be rebuilt for a fraction of the price of a new pair.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackhorse4:
I have two pair of Allen Edmonds that I enjoy wearing both with business dress and business casual. My only comment - if you are drawn to the longer, more narrow styles, do a careful fit check - I take an "E" width instead of a "D" width in those. Alden is my second choice.
Take good care of them - buy good shoe trees and polish - enjoy!!

You have to know your lasts. Some fit different feet better. If there is an Allen Edmonds store nearby, go in and try various models. The salesmen are good, they know which shoe is on which last. The website also describes which last is on which shoe, and a brief description of how they fit. If you called AE, I feel certain they would assist you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Allen edmomds after a reccomemdation here. You can usually find a sale for 225 or 275 for oxfords instead of the full 375.

Be warned they womt be your last pair. I have 4 now plus boots! Also get shoe trees and technically a leather shoe needs 3 days to cool and dry out so if you are wearing these everyday you may need a second or third pair.

I have a narrow foot and they fixed my foot issues. Im a 13A

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
It was my thread but it was probably 2 years ago.
SC nailed the forum's consensus and is the way I went.

quote:
Allen Edmonds

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife bought me a pair of Bally shoes a few years ago. Black leather slip on dress shoes and they are still super comfortable.

Posts: 184 | Location: Great Falls VA | Registered: February 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
I really like my Jack Erwin's: http://www.jackerwin.com

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Allen Edmonds

IMO, the first and best answer.

One pair of AEs I have is over 30 years old, that I used to wear regularly back before business casual. I don't wear them too often now, but they are still in great shape.

quote:

And to answer your question: If you can get by in any shoe and/or don't have the need to spend $500, then I'd say don't.

In my case, I have an odd size foot, worked in a law office and was going to law school at night, and so was on my feet from about 7am till midnight. My feet were killing me every day.

A colleague recommended Allen Edmonds. They were by far the most expensive shoes I'd ever had, but I soon realized they were worth every penny. I bought a couple of add'l pairs as soon as I was able to.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was gifted a pair of Ferragamo's from my wife's uncle - he bought them too small. They were practically new when I got them. They're a nice, sturdy penny loafer. The feel like a million bucks, weigh a ton (but not uncomfortable), and are beautifully crafted. I can dress up or down with them. I've had them for close to 10 years and they look new.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to get a fantastic deal on 2 pairs of Antonio Maurizi Oxfords and have been very happy with them. I'd never have been able to afford them but the Rack has them for 50% off here and there.

Posts: 4668 | Location: Marysville, WA | Registered: May 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Recraftable Alden loafers made with shell cordovan leather. This color is their #8; I also have a pair in black.

These went back to Alden when the soles were literally detatched. Along with a check for $169. They came back in a few weeks with new shoe trees, shoe bags, and new everything except the uppers.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Allen Edmonds, and I sure do wish they would bring back the Finch model. Had my pair redone twice now, not sure how much longer they will make it. As jhe888 pointed out, you definitely need to know the "last" that fits your foot and stick with shoes based on that.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
Never feel bad about spending the money on a fully-rebuild-able shoe!!

I do not own a pair of Allen Edmonds, but I will some day.

I do own a pair of Nick's Boots. They have been re-soled once, and rebuilt once. They cost me $400, plus $75 for the resole, and $150 for the rebuild. I have had them 11 years at this point. That's about $57/year for some badass shit-kickers.

I watch the guys that work for me spend $120/yr on mass-manufactured boots, and laugh quietly to myself.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post