SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    higher end dress shoes...what do we like?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

higher end dress shoes...what do we like? Login/Join 
posted
(disclaimer: I could have sworn there was a previous post on this topic but I searched and couldn't find it.)

I am in the market for a pair of black dress shoes. I'm a buy once cry once kind of guy and I want something that will last for a long time (with proper care.) I was set on allen edmonds because they give a nice military discount and there is a store in Baltimore, but I seem to find a lot of reviews that say their quality isn't what it used to be. I was also looking at Rancourt but they seem funny with their return policy, and it makes me nervous buying a $400+ pair of shoes on the internet without being able to try them on. I also looked at Alden shoes and I like them but they are a little pricey, and the closest store is in DC (the Brooks Brothers in Baltimore might have them too, I haven't checked.) If they are worth it I might be willing to jump that high.

Any other recommendations? Opinions on the aforementioned brands? (note: I would like to buy American made.) Am I stupid for wanting a pair of $500 shoes?

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Allen Edmonds

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
make a trip to NYC? https://www.awlandsundry.com/

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Not sure if they have any American made styles but I've loved Santoni shoes. Most comfortable dress shoes I've had.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I swore by Ferragamo, I own 3 pair, until I bought my 1st pair of Brunomagli. I have pair similar to these and have worn them a lot for over a year and they still look and feel as good as new.

http://www.brunomagli.com/raging/

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Domani (by Jonston & Murphy) lace-ups that still look great after 35 years. Admittedly, I don't wear them very often.

If I wanted another pair of dress shoes, Nordstrom is the first place that I'd look.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ecco is a brand that is insanely comfortable.

----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Alden.

And if you get into higher end boots and shoes, the addiction is as bad as guns. I have a pair of Aldens, and this year when the bug hit, I got a slightly more "economical" pair of Oak Street Bootmakers, which has a store here in Chicago that carries many of their styles. I'd look for Horween leather and a Goodyear welt. The leather will last forever and the welt is fully recraftable.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I wear Allen Edmonds. I just had three pairs redone. And they came back fine. They lasted over 12 years for two of them and one of them, I simply had set aside 16 years ago because I wore the outside heel upper from driving.

I would recommend them just for the fact that for $125, you get fresh heels and soles, uppers refinished, new shoe laces, a pair of shoe trees, soft shoe bags, and a jar of polish. If you don't want the shoe trees, shoe bags, and polish, it's $25 less but that's the cost alone of the trees and the trees are one of the best available.

I think new pairs cost $350 to $400 now. I think I bought mine around $250; one I picked up brand new at a goodwill store for $25. Even without the Goodwill buy, that really lowers the costs of getting a quality pair of Allen Edmonds compared to getting lesser quality $100 pairs every year. I haven't priced dressed shoes in a while.

I would suggest getting 2 at least to rotate and make them last.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19657 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
Am I stupid for wanting a pair of $500 shoes?

Absolutely not. You're doing your due diligence right now, and assuming you're good with your money, and it's your money you're using to buy the shoes, no one should question how you spend it. You don't have to justify to anyone. Enjoy your money and your new shoes.

Year V

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Oliver Sweeny's that were a gift. I've never had shoes fit so well ever; and I've owned a few pairs (toBoot NY, Allen Edmonds, Bally's etc.). They fit like a glove on day one, with absolutely no breaking-in period (for a full grain oxford-type shoe ...Amazing!)

Had a son work at Nordstroms selling overpriced Men's shoes ... so I go suckered into a few pair to help his early quota objectives.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Ecco makes a good mass market shoe, but they don't look truly dressy, as they have molded soles. A good, comfortable mid-priced shoe.

Johnston & Murphy makes a better shoe, but I don't think they are made in the USA any more. They aren't as good. I finally wore a pair of J&M made in the USA shoes out after 25 years.

I buy Allen Edmonds. They are just about as good as a factory (a very small factory, mind you) made shoe can be. They aren't cheap. Their Shoe Bank website will have clearance, discontinued, and seconds for significant price breaks. Often the seconds can't be told from perfect. They will usually go look at them for you, and tell you why they are seconds. I have a pair where the girl said she could not tell why they were seconds, and she is right. They seem perfect.

Alden is similar, but a little more expensive than Allen Edmonds. They are very good shoes.

Remember, a $350 shoe will last 25 years with a resoling or two. A $120 shoe will be worn out after just a few years, and then you throw them away.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ALDEN. No other men's shoe comes close in quality of construction and materials. I have 10 pairs.

Posts: 102 | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
Am I stupid for wanting a pair of $500 shoes?

Absolutely not. You're doing your due diligence right now, and assuming you're good with your money, and it's your money you're using to buy the shoes, no one should question how you spend it. You don't have to justify to anyone. Enjoy your money and your new shoes.

Thank you. Sometimes I feel guilty buying something so expensive, but the way I look at it is that if I can get 5-10 years out of these shoes it's about the same as buying a $100-$150 pair once a year which is what I do now. Plus they just look nicer and more professional.

I'm excited. Have to bust out the old lincoln wax that I might have laying around somewhere! Now I just need some pantyhose and a shine box.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Remember, a $350 shoe will last 25 years with a resoling or two. A $120 shoe will be worn out after just a few years, and then you throw them away.

Exactly. This is what I keep telling my wife.

Thank you and everyone else for the replies. I might take a trip down to the AE store in Baltimore this Sunday. Before I buy I want to check out the Aldens too at the Brooks Brothers store (not too far away.) Nordstroms has Ferragamos and Bruno's as well, so if I don't like the AE's or Aldens I can go there too. Come hell or high water, I'm buying something this Sunday!

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
OP, I purchased my Aldens online from The Shoe Mart. I'm pretty sure they cover return shipping if you decide to return the shoes, as long as they're in new pristine condition. Just try them on and only walk on a carpeted surface. Do a bit more research if you go the online route as sizing varies depending on the last vs your Brannock Device size. The retailer will help you with sizing as well.

Year V

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Allen Edmonds are still excellent. Alden is also an excellent choice.

I buy them at the special sales.

Black Park Avenues are the formal shoe.

For daily office wear, I love the Badlands model.

Both were $200 as first quality, new shoes. One from a AE direct sale, the other from the Nordstrom Anniversary sale.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I find Allen Edmunds a great value. I have three pairs, 8 yes old refurbished three times, 6 years old refurbished twice, 3 years old due for service.

I buy from the shoebank their seconds storefront. You call the store which has your selection and they ship them to you.

http://www.shoebank.com

The fifth Ave are my favorite by far.

http://www.shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two pair of Allen Edmonds that I enjoy wearing both with business dress and business casual. My only comment - if you are drawn to the longer, more narrow styles, do a careful fit check - I take an "E" width instead of a "D" width in those. Alden is my second choice.
Take good care of them - buy good shoe trees and polish - enjoy!!

Posts: 87 | Location: North central Kentucky | Registered: October 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Allen Edmonds are nice and look at the Italian made Cole Hanns too.

Posts: 3721 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post