SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I believe Doodles are taking over the dog world.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I believe Doodles are taking over the dog world. Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
We have a 10 year old Goldendoodle who is easily the best all around dog we’ve ever owned. We’ve had 3 Goldens, an Old English Sheepdog (who earned his CD), a Bearded Collie, a Collie, a Lab and a couple little mutts early in our marriage.

Here in NW Florida, many, many of the snowbirds bring their Goldendoodles, Labradoodles, Sheepadoodles, Ausidoodles and so on. Fun dogs.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Now they're even teaching them to talk

https://youtu.be/A83-MNqTzkM

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
We bought a full size Goldendoodle last year. Very smart and full of energy.Hope she settles down like my former Llewellin Setters I have always had and loved.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I have two dogs. A doodle came up for adoption and my wife got her sister to that it. I would have ended up with it if that deal fell through. She reports this dog is energetic and absolutely the most athletic dog they've ever owned.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a young lady as a renter and she has a labradoodle. I am a dog lover and I must say her labradoodle is very impressive. She is smart, well behaved and a wonderful dog.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Yep, my family and I are big doodle fans. Our next dog is going to be a cockapoo. We could go for a mini-goldendoodle, but the price for the ones we've looked at are out of our price range.

I'm seeing more and more while living here in the Texas Hill Country. When we do, we always go out of our way to go talk to the owner and pet their doodle(s).

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Yep, they are everywhere.... I go to lots of homes that have them. The good news is they are basically love hounds.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Is it because they are hypoallergenic? My friend has bad allergies and recently got a golden doodle and a giant poodle because they don’t shed fur.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice dogs but I’ve never liked poodles (or schnauzers) and they all seem to obviously look poodle-like so it is a no go for me. lol

I bet that lady in the video is bat shit crazy. If she would have stopped at like 5-10 buttons I would have bought it. Modeling “love you” to a dog via a button is a little silly. Trying to construct sentences out of his button pushing is a lot silly. No doubt that is a smart dog though. It’s the woman I have doubts about. lol

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post

The late great Boz. The goldendoodle was not ours* but a regular 7am every morning visitor for treats over a 5 year period. When his 'mom' had a stroke on a visit to WI his 'dad' brought Boz to us for a 3 week stay. We loved him as our own. Great pup

*over the years we've had 3 Dachshunds, 1 German Shepherd/Chesapeake Bay Retriever mix, 1 German Shepherd, and 1 English Golden Retriever.

Posts: 4028 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Is it because they are hypoallergenic? My friend has bad allergies and recently got a golden doodle and a giant poodle because they don’t shed fur.
I think the no shed thing is huge to a lot of people (me).

The neighborhood I live in has 19 houses and 4 golden doodles. They seem like good dogs but a little too hyper and barky for me. They seem to take on more of the poodles temperament.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3918 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My Labradoodle is the smartest, calmest, most patient dog I've ever had. This meant he's the easiest dog I've ever trained.

Which is good, considering he's 135 pounds... If he weren't so well-trained and calm, he'd be a handful.

(And yes, that's quite abnormal for Labradoodles. They're usually 50-70ish pounds. He's just a mutant. Big Grin He was ~3x the size of his littermates at birth.)

When he passes, I'm definitely getting another Labradoodle. The combination of the Lab's loyalty and the Poodle's intelligence is a fantastic mix.

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

That's a misconception. They're not all "shed-free".

Poodles don't shed. Labs/Goldens shed a lot. Labradoodles/Goldendoodles can have one of three different coats, depending on their exact genetic profile: A Poodle-like curly coat that doesn't shed, a Lab/Golden-like straight coat that sheds a lot, or an in-between wavy coat that sheds a little.

Mine has the wavy coat that does shed, just not as much as a pure Lab. But coming from my previous Husky and Malamute, it's comparatively minimal and not a big deal.

If you want a Goldendoodle/Labradoodle that's no-shed, look for one with the tightly-curled poodle-style coat. Or just get a Poodle and be certain they won't shed. Wink

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post

This is Buster & Baxter at a year old. Goldendoodle brothers & littermates. They are now a year & a half, and weigh 82 & 86 lbs. respectively. Both parents were just under fifty pounds, as are a couple of their known siblings. We attribute this growth disparity to the energy they spend on one another. They're burley but not fat, just very muscular. They will play nonstop, with or without Mrs. vinnybass or me. They can run hard all day long. They are huge, goofy balls of furry fun who love a good time. They're very loving & social to everyone, as well as each other. I pray they have a good long life together because they love each other inseparably. I've had two other pairs of littermates/brothers (both sets Dalmatians) & they didn't have the bond these two share. We couldn't be happier with this muttley breed.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
To illustrate what I was saying about the various coats, there's Buster and Baxter above with their tightly curled poodle-style coat that shouldn't shed. Then look at Z06's earlier photo of Boz, who it appears had the straight Golden Retriever-style coat, which would shed about as much as a normal Golden Retriever. The compare those to my Labradoodle, Dexter, shown here with his wavy, lightly-shedding in-between coat. Dexter has a few patches of curly fur, like on his shanks, but it's mostly straighter and wavy.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I'm the OP. Our Murphy is the most easy going GD. He loves our grandkids and enjoys cuddling with them.

Here he is with Parker who is as easy going as our dog. Two easy going souls.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friends have one. Looks like a giant poodle. Athletic as hell. Sweet as pie. Hyper.

Like most big breeds you need to train them because 80-100 lbs of dog jumping at you is a lot of dog.

I totally can see the attraction. Smart and loyal is tough to beat. Plus, apparently they can talk lol

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
BTW, here they are today with their coats more grown out. They're curly, but fluffy & soft, not wiry like poodles can sometimes be. That said, they're a bear to brush & they need it regularly.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They are the dog of the month (decade). Not to say they aren't good dogs, but these things go in popularity waves.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
If you breed a doodle with a poodle would it be double-doodle or a poodle-doodle?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
They are the dog of the month (decade). Not to say they aren't good dogs, but these things go in popularity waves.

I think it's much less of a fad (such as something like all the Taco Bell Chihuahuas of the mid-1990s or the Paris Hilton Teacup Yorkies to carry around in your purse of the 2000s), and more just increasing awareness of these relatively new breeds' great many positive features.

As a result, I suspect Doodles will remain quite popular for a very long time, rather than simply experiencing a blip of popularity before folks move on to the "next hip dog breed".