SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stealth police cruiser, not really unmarked
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stealth police cruiser, not really unmarked Login/Join 
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
My town just got a new suv and it's just like that. Of course us locals can spot it a mile away now but the flat landers get nailed quite often.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Revenue Generation is big business and pays for many cool toys.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
We have one here in lil' 'ol Bridgeton, NC

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
There was some uproar about unmarked cars doing traffic enforcement. One was a red truck!
As you read the rules police out her can use unmarked cars for limited reasons.to get around this the explanation given was that they were going to get the markings put on but there was a delay. Funny, the red truck hasn't been seen since.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's is a term for these:
"Slicktop".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
......Ghost Car.....

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
I've been in slick-top unmarked units for 11 or 12 years. Durangos, Tahoes and now a Ford F-150.

I guess I miss the part about it somehow being "unfair"...I have a big push bar, two antennas and government plates, but DON'T DRIVE LIKE A DICKHEAD and we won't be visiting...

On the way home from the jail today I wrote two speeding tickets (15 and 16 over), two warnings for speed (14 over) and another speed warning but a cite for "Open Container Marijuana".

Hopefully the red and blue lights on a pickup put the other Friday-night-to-the-mountains-for-the-weekend drivers in a slower frame of mind.

I guess I missed the whole part about revenue generation in the academy.

Posts: 590 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Years ago I lived and worked in the San Juan PR area.

Police cars, painted and clearly marked as such, seemed to always drive around with their blue lights flashing.

One day, we saw one of the Policia cars go by without its lights going. I commented about it.

"Oh, that's an unmarked car" was the sardonic response from one of my Puerto Rican friends.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30642 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That car is TOO cool. My PD has a mix of cars ranging from 2001 to 2013.... Fords, Dodges, and Chevys. Different decals. Different light bars.

They all have one thing in common: Check Engine Lights are on and obnoxious squeaking. Haha.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
The State Troopers just north of Wickenberg aren't doing a bad job in their Explorers, either, on the straight stretch.

Run through there every two weeks.

The Wickenburg DPS squad's sergeant is my neighbor, two blocks over from our house. His house is right on the highway, you can probably see his squad on the south side as you go by, if he's at home. Great guy, btw, as is his whole team. We live just north of Wickenburg, on US 93 (past the Congress turnoff).

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
So strange to read unmarked cars can't pull you over? Here it happens all the time. They have Chevy Cavaliers, SUV's, Pick-up, Whatever the crappy current Chevy mid-size vehicle is.

I manage to avoid the police by not doing stupid shit while driving. Never usually go more than 10 over. If highway driving I go 14 or 19 over, here 20 over is reckless driving and is almost as bad as a DUI.

A long while back they took a drug dealers Corvette and painted it all up in D.A.R.E and county markings with "This vehicle was seized from a drug dealer" on the rocker panels and rear bumper.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
FHP policy

Unmarked and plain clothed - Pulling people over is discouraged, but if they must they are required to wait for a uniformed Trooper to arrive before approaching the vehicle. Of there are exceptions if they are stopping something like an assault.

If they are in uniform they are allowed to pull over cars in unmarked cars.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I manage to avoid the police by not doing stupid shit while driving. Never usually go more than 10 over. If highway driving I go 14 or 19 over, here 20 over is reckless driving and is almost as bad as a DUI.

That is Virginia for you. The rest of the southern states need to kick it out of the South.

Also 80mph is reckless, never mind the fact that some sections of the interstate have a speed limit for 70mph, so going 10 over on them is reckless driving. Of course the fact that this has never been fixed has nothing to do with the revenue they can extort out of people with a reckless driving charge hanging over their head.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
FHP policy

Unmarked and plain clothed - Pulling people over is discouraged, but if they must they are required to wait for a uniformed Trooper to arrive before approaching the vehicle. Of there are exceptions if they are stopping something like an assault.

If they are in uniform they are allowed to pull over cars in unmarked cars.

I believe this is the case here in PA as well. Unmarked cars have multiple hyper lights and only do traffic stops with uniformed officers. You won't get an unmarked cop in an unmarked car. Plus they always tell folks if there is a question verify with 911 call from safe place.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2004 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
They got away from exterior light bars on police cruisers a decade ago

We had a few probably twenty years ago. far from a new concept. The light bars, even the new led low profile get caked with snow and ice quickly in the colder climates.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
The Wickenburg DPS squad's sergeant is my neighbor, two blocks over from our house. His house is right on the highway, you can probably see his squad on the south side as you go by, if he's at home. Great guy, btw, as is his whole team. We live just north of Wickenburg, on US 93 (past the Congress turnoff).

By that damned roundabout? I hate that thing!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dislike them. If you're after revenue, they're great. If you want to be a deterrent, they're lousy. I also do not like that the decals really are only visible in ideal lighting conditions. If you're the Police, why not advertise that you're the police, unless you're an undercover unit?

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
These folks were very lucky they were only robbed. Personally I don't think unmarked or stealth police cars should be able to pull over anyone for a simple traffic stop. Only blatantly obvious police cars with light bars on top - no SUV's, pick up trucks, etc - should attempt traffic stops, run radar, etc.

I know this would make the "real policemans" job more difficult, but, stories like seem to happen more and more often and most have much worse results for the victim(s).

Link below and sorry but our local paper must somehow block "copy and paste" so all I could do was take a pic of the article for those who don't want to follow the link.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/l...25-83757266551a.html

Posts: 3717 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Franklinton, NC, small town near me, has a black Mustang with nearly identical markings, good looking car and barely noticeable. Wake County NC (think Raleigh) has an unmarked Corvette, and not just a regular one. It's some special edition, seized from a drug dealer of course. They use it for speed traps among other things.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1858 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting to see this concept applied to Camaros / Mustangs as interceptors...

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post