SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stealth police cruiser, not really unmarked
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stealth police cruiser, not really unmarked Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted

Wickenburg PD just acquired this cruiser. I first saw it last week, approaching it from the rear as it was doing a traffic stop. Plenty of red and blue lights flashing to the front and rear, but no light bar. From the rear, it looked just like an unmarked cruiser. As I passed, I noticed the department decal, which is reflective (though that does not show up well in this picture). This morning, they were parked at Safeway for a marathon (runners) detail. With their permission, I snapped this shot. Could not get further away to take in the whole car because of cactus.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
These cars are becoming very popular because they don't scream "Police" yet are still considered a marked cruiser.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know a few PD's up in CT got a few "stealth" marked vehicles, though I think the ones I saw were the SUV's.

I think they're pretty slick looking, and it's a decent compromise (for the moment, anyway.)

I can't speak for all jurisdictions, but I know in some places unmarked vehicles can't pull you over. These stealth vehicles seem to straddle that middle ground, they're much more subtle but still "marked".

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Cool! My first thought on seeing this vehicle (with no lights going) would be, "Wow, the markings sure left a lot of residue behind before that car was auctioned-off."

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They got away from exterior light bars on police cruisers a decade ago. Easier to wash them, better aerodynamics etc.......But most all of the cars are two tone color and well marked here.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Wickenburg PD is pretty up to date. When I moved out here in 2002, I was expecting bubble gum machine lights on top of their cruisers.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
This is my Brother talking about his Departments'

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
I think Arizona DPS is using some of these "stealth" vehicles as well. He didn't use the stealth word, but one of the troopers on the show Live PD noted that his Ford Explorer had markings only visible in good light at the right angle, no exterior light bar, etc.

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We have quite a few in Houston & the surrounding area, in black and white.
Usually, it's still pretty easy to discern them as LE, due to the typical package: LE package cars/trucks with black steel wheels, work truck level trim, etc.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Yes, and they generate revenue quite well. I've seen the one you photographed issuing invitations to contribute not long ago.

The State Troopers just north of Wickenberg aren't doing a bad job in their Explorers, either, on the straight stretch.

Run through there every two weeks.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Maine State Police have been using unmarked vehicles for quite a while. Whats new for them however, is that they have some vehicles with non Police license plates.

When you come up on the back of these, there's no way to tell it's a cop.

My wife said that she'd refuse to pull over for one of those vehicles. I just wonder how'd that play out in court.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
Cool! My first thought on seeing this vehicle (with no lights going) would be, "Wow, the markings sure left a lot of residue behind before that car was auctioned-off."

That was my thought, too.

There are plenty of second-hand police cars on the roads here, and since the Ford Crown Victoria looked the same for so long, it's an open question if any particular squad car is legit. Same for Chevies. In fact, my town recently acquired a real old Ford (unmarked, white) and put it into service making traffic stops. I doubt they paid more than $1,000 or it.

Here in this part of Illinois they'll stop you no matter if their vehicle is marked or not, and I'm sure that more than one chase has resulted from fear that somebody was about to become a robbery or kidnapping victim.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
Great looking graphics on that squad car!

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:

My wife said that she'd refuse to pull over for one of those vehicles. I just wonder how'd that play out in court.

Just tell her to turn on her hazards and slow down and find a gas station or the like, and pull over there...

many people are worried about getting pulled by someone with a bluelight and not really being the cops....

if you call 911 on your phone and tell them that you are being stopped and that you are pulling to a better location and you have you hazards on, 911 will radio the cars in their area and advise them....the issue is when you have state troopers who are dispatched out of elsewhere and they don't call in all their stops..and they don't check in with the local 911 centers...most of the time they (troopers) scan the local PD/Sheriffs channels. So they will at least hear the car in front of them is complying and not running..

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The super Buffy Fire Marshall's where I work have an asinine vehicle like that. A large white SUV that you can barely read a big "Fire Marshall" across the side. Why in the hell would they need that? lmao

Posts: 21098 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Houston has had the ghost cars for a few years now I believe.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
my township has one. The city just uses confiscated cars or Ford Fusions for dicks, vice, etc. In Ohio, you don't have to stop for anything without a lightbar. Narcs, gangs, vice, dicks, all have to call for a marked unit to do a traffic stop.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
They let you take the picture, but now they have to...

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Arizona DPS has a few of those as well. They've also have a totally unmarked bright yellow Mustang GT and bright red Dodge Challenger RT that I've seen them running around Phoenix.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:
I can't speak for all jurisdictions, but I know in some places unmarked vehicles can't pull you over. These stealth vehicles seem to straddle that middle ground, they're much more subtle but still "marked".

I actually have a problem with these units for that very reason. In my area, unmarked vehicles are not supposed to pull you over yet they’re doing it with these vehicles. They’re clearly breaking the spirit of the law. When you’re charged with enforcing the law, that sends a bad signal.

Little piece of trivia: decades ago, the NHL began requiring that player’s names be on the back of jerseys. Teams resisted and pulled the same shit as above; names stitched on in the same color as the background in order to make it difficult to discern. That lasted about one game Smile

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post