SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bad News for the Global Warming Bunch
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad News for the Global Warming Bunch Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
from JPL today...

Jakobshavn Glacier Grows for Third Straight Year
New NASA data shows that Jakobshavn Glacier - Greenland's fastest-moving and fastest-thinning glacier for most of the 2000s - grew from 2018 into 2019, marking three consecutive years of growth.
These images, produced using GLISTIN-A radar data as part of NASA's Oceans Melting Greenland (OMG) mission, show how much mass the glacier gained from 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19. Areas with the most growth - about 33 yards (30 meters) - are shown in dark blue. Red areas represent thinning. The glacier grew 22-33 yards (20-30 meters) each year between 2016 and 2019. OMG, led by Principal Investigator Josh Willis, is one of several NASA missions dedicated to furthering our understanding of global sea level rise.
Jakobshavn's growth did not come as a surprise to scientists. A recent study team from NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, determined that water transported to the area around the glacier by a key ocean current has been colder than it was prior to 2016, when the growth began. The colder water is not melting the ice from the front and underneath the glacier as quickly as the warmer water did.
The temperature change of the current's water is part of a known climate pattern, one that is expected to flip again, and cause more of the melting and ice thinning for which Jakobshavn is known. Although the melting rate has slowed, the glacier continues to contribute to sea level rise, ultimately losing more ice to the ocean than it gains from snow accumulation overall.
More information on OMG can be found here:
https://omg.jpl.nasa.gov/portal/

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53181 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
Sometimes glaciers expand, sometimes they retreat. It's kinda their thing. I've never really gotten why the climate doom-sayers held onto the glacier thing: holy shit- large amounts of ice are doing exactly what they're supposed to do! Click here to donate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2696 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I don't know about glaciers, but I do know it's been very cold in my part of Utah for this time of year. People are still skiing at Snowbird!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I don't know about glaciers, but I do know it's been very cold in my part of Utah for this time of year. People are still skiing at Snowbird!

Solar minimum, zero to do with anthropogenic climate change.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:

Never said anything to the contrary.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's the weather, right?

Check.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Sometimes glaciers grow...sometimes they melt.

Been happening for millions of years now.

Funny thing, nature.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whisp:
Sometimes glaciers expand, sometimes they retreat. It's kinda their thing. I've never really gotten why the climate doom-sayers held onto the glacier thing: holy shit- large amounts of ice are doing exactly what they're supposed to do! Click here to donate.

To deceive at least half of the population of the planet.

Q

Posts: 26386 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
why

and

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Global warming causes glaciers to melt but climate change makes them grow but global warming makes glaciers grow too and climate change can make them melt. Now do you understand?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3534 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Humanity has actually passed the point where any substantial impact could be made to extend the current interglacial significantly, at least to salvage homeothermic mammals. A few decades of maximum concerted global effort, with dedicated money and resources, and competent scientists exclusively focused on the task, would perhaps have even mitigated the long cold to follow. But the hour is late, and political idiocy, "global warming" and "climate change" puffery over the last few, essential years needed to tip the finely balanced scales have squandered even the meager time allowed. A prediction: Winter is Coming.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

For clarity- the intent is clear, which is why I made the donate comment. The vehicle is what perplexes me. There are probably 100 better bullshit arguments/proof-points than the glacier one, which is why I don't get why it has stuck around. I guess most people haven't even seen a glacier and therefore it's the big bad melty harbinger of doom.

I actually had a conversation with someone a few months ago that honestly believed that glaciers just started melting in the last hundred years. About all i could manage from response standpoint was- "um... the ice age?". I just got a blank stare. I'm pretty sure I returned it.

"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.

Posts: 2696 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are probably 100 better bullshit arguments/proof-points than the glacier one, which is why I don't get why it has stuck around.

Algore.

The (former) savior of the democratic party. They just can't let it go.

I think it really is as simple as that.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

For clarity- the intent is clear, which is why I made the donate comment. The vehicle is what perplexes me. There are probably 100 better bullshit arguments/proof-points than the glacier one, which is why I don't get why it has stuck around...

Why shouldn't it stick around? When a con man can fool the people with the same scam over and over again, why should he ditch what works?

Q

Posts: 26386 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seems you understand just fine...

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the earth is more than 4 Billion years old

the oldest glacier on the planet is about 35 million years old - according to core samples

which means that glaciers have been on this planet a single digit fraction of its entire life, so I don't understand why people think that glaciers ALWAYS need to be here. perhaps the norm is to NOT have any glaciers

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53181 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Humanity has actually passed the point where any substantial impact could be made to extend the current interglacial significantly, at least to salvage homeothermic mammals. A few decades of maximum concerted global effort, with dedicated money and resources, and competent scientists exclusively focused on the task, would perhaps have even mitigated the long cold to follow. But the hour is late, and political idiocy, "global warming" and "climate change" puffery over the last few, essential years needed to tip the finely balanced scales have squandered even the meager time allowed. A prediction: Winter is Coming.

I think we found Al Gore’s account

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
What in the world are you babbling about? Is this something you posted because you like the way it sounds? "Winter is coming"? Recently, I vowed to lock any thread in which people wedge these silly GOT references, so you're about to get this thread locked with this tired, banal crap. Winter is coming? No, nothing is coming. Nothing. Zero. Mother Earth is just fine, and all these predictions are worth less than the light coming off of your monitor.

Posts: 107594 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The Ice Age history is the single most observable data set that shows us that the earth goes through cycles of heating and cooling without our help or influence. Any time it gets injected in a conversation with climate change whackos, it gets glossed over.

Even a “little ice age” event brought on by any means (decreased ocean surface salinity, massive volcanic event, Maunder minimum, cyclic global axis shift, or combinations thereof, etc) would wreak havoc on the worlds population- especially in the area of agriculture. And when it occurs again, the money grubbing doomsayers at the top will proclaim that humans are the root cause and the only way to combat it is to throw other people’s money at the problem.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:

Never said anything to the contrary.

And I didn't mean to imply you did.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post