SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Paging Appliance Brad...white phone please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paging Appliance Brad...white phone please. Login/Join 
posted
Hope you or anyone from SF brain trust has thoughts on repairing our oven.

We have a KitchenAid "Superba" model, double stacked oven with convection heating features. The oven is about 15 years old. Mrs. CoinRoller attempted to use the self-cleaning feature on the upper unit. After about an hour, the self-cleaning feature stopped before the cleaning cycle was completed. The oven is now totally non-responsive (no lights on control panel), and upper door remains locked. Electrical breakers were not tripped, yet the over appears to receive no electric power.

Thoughts on repair/replacement?

Thanks in advance, Steve

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Fuse? Remove oven from shell to get to it.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks George. Will take a look...wasn't aware ovens were fused.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The best thing we did was to replace our built in oven-microwave, and separate glass cooktop, with a slide in range (with convection and glass cooktop). I remade the cabinet where the built in used to be with the doors and drawer from the unit we removed. Built-ins are expensive to repair or replace. We can now buy a new slide in oven/stove at any time, plug it in and go. In the old built in space, I put a shelf for a microwave, so we have now a replaceable oven, and a replaceable microwave, separate from each other. Plus a couple of doors and one drawer for extra storage, that were not there before.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Model number please.

It could be the control board thermal fuse. Likely not the cavity fuse on the back (which requires pulling the oven to access.

Need the model # to look up the correct wiring diagram

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brad,

Model No. KEBS207DBL-6
Serial No. XJ2501045

Also, what's the trick to open the upper oven door (that remains locked from the cleaning cycle)?

I Drink & I Know Things

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
http://producthelp.kitchenaid....n_a_locked_oven_door

Seems like a troublesome problem, and one not uncommon. Wonder if you could flip the circuit breaker for the oven as a way to power cycle the controlling circuit board?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will try breakers again. Also, thanks for referenced help page...

I Drink & I Know Things

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
The thermal fuse breaks the neutral on the control and kills the board. So it could be as simple as accessing the control area and and replacing the control board fuse. It could also be a failed blower motor that caused the thermal fuse failure. there is a blower that cools the electronics and I've seen them fail before. Fuse is part #WP4456654

I've also seen latches melt in SC mode but if it's 15 years old, that is unlikely as a new failure. Unless the blower failed as we did a bunch of blower updates on this series.

You will have to get the door open to remove the side trim to expose the screws that hold the control panel on. Start with the clips that hold the oven door glass on at the bottom of the door. You may need to improvise with a Phillips bit and a 1/4" wrench to get the clearance to remove the screws. Glass should slide down and then you can see the latch hook to move it over and release it. I downloaded the service manual and tech sheet and will send them to you via e-mail.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much Brad!

I Drink & I Know Things