SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Else Drive A High-Milage Car
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Else Drive A High-Milage Car Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
188k on my 2003 Civic.

265k on my 2003 Acura TL-S

Did you put all those miles on?

I might be going on a temporary assignment late next year and bringing my car. It's about 1700 miles away from me. Being all the miles I'll put in between now and then and the trip, I was thinking that I'll replace this car before that trip.

Right now I'm about a 60 mile round trip commute each day. It was 80 for a few months. Car still drives fine, outdated but it works well and I don't have much to do except maintenance.

Posts: 13107 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
120k on a Mazda

160k on an Acura (which I just had to get the ignition coils replaced as 2 cylinders were misfiring some)

otherwise solid vehicles so far.

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
261K on my current 2007 Accord EX. It’s had all regular maintenance plus a number of parts replaced but it’s still a lot less expensive than new car payments and the interior is still like new.

I purchased my previous 1993 Accord EX used with 96K miles on it and donated it to charity at a little over 258K about 11 years later. It was starting to show its age in its mechanics and on the interior.

All the ones before that had 130 to 155K before they were sold or donated. Except for the one that was totaled, of course.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
191,000 2004 Silverado
Have recently been looking at replacing it, trucks are expensive.

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1090 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 1998 Volvo S70 T5 5-speeed that I purchased with 149K miles and someone hit my left front when it had 252K miles on it. The new owner fixed the fender and is still driving it today from Virginia Beach to Maryland. I currently drive a 2006 Volvo V70R 6-speed that I purchased with 164K miles and currently has 182K miles on it. Both cars are just maintained regularly. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daily commute is about 80 miles round trip, so I rack up miles quickly. Put 165k on our Ford 500 (Taurus) when they came out until a crack in the block caused that to go bye-bye. Replaced that in 2010 with a 2005 Jeep Liberty that had 30k on it. Ran that up to 185k in 2017 and replaced it with my current 2015 RAV4...only 47k on that...for now.

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
222,093 04 civic.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting ready to break 224,000 on my wife's 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee (5.7 Hemi) and only 106,000 in my 2007 F-250 (6.0).

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 173 | Location: Manassas, VA | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
130k on a 2012 Volvo XC70. Regular maintenance and so far problem free.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
188,000+ on my 1997 Toyota Corolla. It's my "airport car", so right now it's driven less than 200 miles/month.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
154K on my 2008 Nissan Titan.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Pikers. My Tundra is at 450ish,000 miles. Big Grin

How often do you do maintenance, and what do you do?

I'd be 140ish before I put that many miles on any vehicle, but it would be nice to know the theory.

For high mileage use, two factors come into play. First being the initial quality of the engine with the second being maintenance. the Toyota 4.7 v8 is very high quality. It also has a timing belt. That is an inescapable maintenance item. Ignore the timing belt service and you'll bend valves, ruining the motor. I do the timing belt service religiously every 90,000 miles.

At first I was annoyed by it. But now I see it as an opportunity to do a thorough service wherein I change the water pump, thermostat, belts, hoses (intermittently), spark plugs, idlers, tensioners, gaskets, seals and check things like the alternator, P/S pump, A/C, radiator, air system and trans fluid. The first time I did it took me 11 hours. Now I can git 'er dun in 7.

I hated that I had to do it and considered selling it because of that. But now I see it prevents break downs and poor/unreliable operation. My truck has only ever left me stranded once and that was my fault.

Also I rebuilt my front end proactively. I installed slotted and drilled front rotors to solve a chronic rotor run out problem. Upgraded my rear leaf springs. Rebuilt my drive shaft u joints and over all replace or repair as things fail so that it doesn't become an overwhelming mess. The only thing I haven't cared to do is prep and paint it. One day I'll get to it....lol

Ultimately it boils down to I know this truck by now and I'm worried about buying a new one that I don't know.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29692 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
1999 Accord LX with 221,000 miles and 2000 Civic with 207,000 miles. Both cars run and drive great. Their low costs of operation make it a lot easier to keep the other hot rods well-fed. Wink

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
When I bought my current DD (2006 Mustang), I sold the prior one (1986 Mustang) with 183,000 miles on it and still going strong. I had driven it for 20 years. The 2006 (after 12 years) has about 100,000 miles on it and I've no plans to replace it any time soon.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
The last two vehicles I purchased both had 120,000+/- miles on them. After 9 years, I traded my '01 F150 at 245,000 miles.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Four of my last seven vehicles went over 225,000 miles. Currently in a pretty new pickup, I imagine it’ll serve about as long as the others.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
225k on my '01 Cherokee. Years, salt, and my teenage/early twenties self were not kind to her, and she's got a sufficiently long gig list that she's currently out to pasture as a spare/beater car while I squirrel up cash for parts and repairs.

However...she still turns over and gets me where I need to go, squeaks, rattles, groans, warning lights, and all.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
302K on my 2006 Tacoma.

Posts: 5198 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
Close to 386k on the 'War Wagon'.
Had 220-something on it when I paid $400 for it back in '12.

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Honda CR-V with over 160,000 miles on it; needs new valve cover gasket. This is not as impressive amount of mileage compared to others but I never got anywhere near this with an American car.

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post