SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Else Drive A High-Milage Car
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Else Drive A High-Milage Car Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
189,897 on my 2007 Tacoma.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

For high mileage use, two factors come into play. First being the initial quality of the engine with the second being maintenance. the Toyota 4.7 v8 is very high quality. It also has a timing belt. That is an inescapable maintenance item. Ignore the timing belt service and you'll bend valves, ruining the motor. I do the timing belt service religiously every 90,000 miles.

At first I was annoyed by it. But now I see it as an opportunity to do a thorough service wherein I change the water pump, thermostat, belts, hoses (intermittently), spark plugs, idlers, tensioners, gaskets, seals and check things like the alternator, P/S pump, A/C, radiator, air system and trans fluid. The first time I did it took me 11 hours. Now I can git 'er dun in 7.

I hated that I had to do it and considered selling it because of that. But now I see it prevents break downs and poor/unreliable operation. My truck has only ever left me stranded once and that was my fault.

Also I rebuilt my front end proactively. I installed slotted and drilled front rotors to solve a chronic rotor run out problem. Upgraded my rear leaf springs. Rebuilt my drive shaft u joints and over all replace or repair as things fail so that it doesn't become an overwhelming mess. The only thing I haven't cared to do is prep and paint it. One day I'll get to it....lol

Ultimately it boils down to I know this truck by now and I'm worried about buying a new one that I don't know.

Thank you for the details. Have you done anything to the transmission other than change the fluid?

I eventually swapped in a better transmission because the first owner abused it. He ruined the trans in less than 50,000 miles

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
224k on a 2011 Toyota Yaris.

240k on a 2006 Highlander I just traded in.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4779 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
over 200,000 miles on the 2005 Tahoe.

When it needs an engine change I might change engine and transmission to make it a six speed automatic, or I might replace it with a newer Tahoe. It will all depend on cost.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I have also given up on aftermarket auto parts. Most of that stuff is Walmart grade Chinese knockoff junk. I stopped shopping at Autozone, O'Reilly etc. for anything but filters and oil. I pay a little more for OEM stuff but the longevity and quality are well worth it.

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Subaru Outback 2003, 259,126 mi. I put a new engine in it last year so the milage only applies to body and running gear.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Gen 1 2003 Tundra with over 192k.
Minimal maintenance except for oil and tires...and I don't baby it driving either.

I finally decided to have a Blue Service at 120k the service guy called and asked when the serpentine belt was last changed. I told him "That's the original", he suggested a new one since it had several chunks of teeth missing and it was time for a new timing belt.
OK. Smile

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
My present beater is a 2001 GMC Sonoma with over 341,000 on the clock. I run them until the bone yard claims them.

Had a 1990 Suburban that made 364,000 before it died.

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Just over 130,000 on my 2005 Jeep Wrangler, hope to keep it until I’m gone.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
255,000 on the 2002 Ford Excursion. 7.3 diesel and my mechanic tells me I am only half done. I am just worried the body will fall off first from all of the dirt roads it sees.
If Ford brings back the Excursion I will be first in line.

Posts: 46 | Location: Montana | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
170k on my 09 Dodge Ram 1500.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My `97 F250 Powerstroke had 285K on it when a friend borrowed it and then totaled it. The `00 Tundra that replaced it only has 223K on it.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
2002 Nissan Pathfinder; 289K miles. I'll see 300K before the end of the year. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
...the service guy called and asked when the serpentine belt was last changed. I told him "That's the original", he suggested a new one since it had several chunks of teeth missing and it was time for a new timing belt.
OK. Smile

I had a serpentine let go on my girlfriend's 1986 Chevy Nova at about 75,000 miles. Luckily, it was a non-interference engine, so the internals survived and replacement was cheap, but it happened at a bad time. She had surgery a couple weeks prior, and this was the first time out of the house since then. Waiting for a ride and a tow was not pleasant. My lesson learned, check that your loved ones do the required maintenance.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
247k miles 2004 VW Golf GLS 2.0 5-speed manual

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pikers. My Tundra is at 450ish,000 miles. Big Grin

What year model?

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado 2500 with 265,000 miles. A friend of mine has a 2001 Silverado wiht 600,000.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
Pikers. My Tundra is at 450ish,000 miles. Big Grin

What year model?

It's an 00. Smile

posted Hide Post
1990 Isizu Amigo. At about 171 thousand and change.

Isuzu was used and abused for decades by Gm. They made great vehicles on the cheap but pulled out of North America in 2009. Still have a presence in other markets.

Me and the old gal will keep on keeping on for as long as possible.

Snow, mud, talc, dirt, rocks. Honey badger Amigo don't care in the Pacific northwest.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
283,000 on my 2010 Ford Taurus. does not use oil between 5,000 mile change intervals. Just put on a new set of 80,000 mile tires.

I have usually traded or sold cars at 220,000 - 240,000 miles. Since I and winding down my working future, I am keeping this one going.

Posts: 974 | Location: Confluence of Mississippi & Ohio Rivers | Registered: October 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post