SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Here is an example of why I would not buy a rental vehicle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here is an example of why I would not buy a rental vehicle Login/Join 
Down With The Sickness
Picture of Sclass
posted Hide Post
For $19.95 you can rent this MF'er

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLpuq0jyiCE

Posts: 659 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
I never thought people would use them to do cross country runs in them but VINwiki shows otherwise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGI0BFMT4bU

Rental Mustang cross country run
For Christ sake, this isn't exactly rocket science. If a year old car has 30k+ miles on it, don't buy it.

Sure, cause miles tell everything about a vehicle’s condition. If you believe that then I’ll sell you a bridge....
I was making a specific point about the original post (i.e. driving coast to coast). And you can keep your bridge. I already have one. Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
there is something wrong with abusing someone else's property. the guy in the video thinks he's cute for doing it. i think he's an asshole but i guess that's just me.

Nope. He's an asshole.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
That's nothing new. Those Mustangs that were built for Hertz, GT-350's back in the mid 60's. many stories of those rented and raced. Heard of at least one of them that had evidence of a roll bar installed and removed before it was returned.
I read an article about those GT-350H, and at least one was rented as a getaway car for a bank robbery. I guess they figured they'd outhandle what they couldn't outrun.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I go on a retirement forum occasionally and there was a thread there anticipating great deals on Hertz cars as they circle the drain.

The thread had a lot of similar responses. I never trashed a rental car. But, I spent a lot of time on business trips where coworkers acted like it was their mission to destroy the rentals they had. That was over 20 years ago, but I would never buy a rental car.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It’s a psychological thing with people who like to treat rentals like crap. I never have and I have had every opportunity available. Off roading, track (road courses), etc. I think it’s shit to do that. I treat a rental car like I treat my own cars, well. I don’t want any issues. About the only thing I’ll do in a rental that I won’t in my vehicles is park it where I feel like. We get hail here so traveling in the Spring, I’ll do a rental car and take out the optional insurance for hail. I’ll still pull off the road when I get hit by hail but in general I don’t worry nearly as much about it compared to driving my own vehicles. Last time that happened it was in a van with one of my bikes loaded in the back for a trackday. I pulled off the road and got the van under some trees to limit the damage.

I’d never buy one either. I’ve seen colleagues just trash them. Take them off road, jump them, I’d just shake my head and call them an ass hole upon hearing it. I don’t treat rented anything like shit. It’s why I no longer loan out tools or much of anything. For some reason ass holes think when it’s not theirs they can treat it like shit. No buying used performance vehicles either.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on the car...

In 1965 Hertz decided it would be neat to bring in a batch of Shelby Mustangs, known has the GT350H, MY 1966. Of course it was a popular weekend rental...that, thanks to an equally goofy 'rent-a-racer' promotion, wound up placing those rentals on race tracks all over the country. Hertz finally figured out what kinds of abuse these cars were going through and suspended this 'bright idea' a year or so later, returned the cars to Ford who then "reconditioned" the surviving remnants and sold off the cars for relatively cheap.

Nowadays those 'racing rentals' command not insignificant money, anywhere from $100K for a rough restoration candidate to over $275K for one restored to concourse condition (compared to $150K for a regular consumer 1966 GT350 in the same concourse condition).

So as I said, it just depends on the car in question. When Hertz filed for bankruptcy earlier this year, I went on the lookout for bargains from their premier Adrenaline and Exotic Car programs. Sad to say that they didn't put any of those cars up for fire sale like they did with many of their luxury rentals and more common rental fleet cars. Oh well...no dirt-cheap Ferraris here.

-MG

Posts: 1986 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
My brother just bought a 2019 Toyota Corolla with 10k miles that was a rental vehicle. This was from a small rental operation, not a big box store. No issues so far.

Another friend has bought 3 vehicles that were rentals, no issues.

As gjgalligan said lease vehicles can be just as bad. I know a guy that does a 24 month lease on his vehicles and does ZERO maintenance on them. Like no oil changes, nothing. At least the rental cars have regular maintenance...

Honestly it all comes down to condition which can be determined by a 3rd party inspection by an honest mechanic......

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I check the oil, tires, and will buy a quart of oil if the oil is low on a rental car.

I treat them like they are my own vehicle. I guess it's because I'm counting on it to get me around - and abusing or neglecting equipment irks me.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sclass:
For $19.95 you can rent this MF'er

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLpuq0jyiCE

That guy is a rank amateur. This is how the pro's do it:

Yes, It's a U-Haul pickup.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I worked for a large insurance company that had a fleet of company cars. I bought 2 or 3 before I took the job of selling them. I had a great career of 20 years selling the cars our execs, claims adjusters and other employees drove.

I sold to my brother, dad, best friends and others I knew well. These cars were typically 18 months to 2 years old and the mileage was under 50k. We were much cheaper than a dealer. I believed in the cars. I bought many myself and traded often if something showed up that I wanted. If we got one back that was beat up, it went to the auction and we billed the area the driver worked for the loss, if any.

Posts: 5618 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Vinwiki youtube video that covers this also has a comment added to it. The comment mentions that the driver had eventually purchased the rental Mustang he used in the race.

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Jeremy Clarkson on rental cars, "Fastest car in the world."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucQKNkvzQ3g

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post