SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Here is an example of why I would not buy a rental vehicle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here is an example of why I would not buy a rental vehicle Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted
I never thought people would use them to do cross country runs in them but VINwiki shows otherwise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGI0BFMT4bU

Rental Mustang cross country run

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Rental vehicles are abused vehicles.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Beat like a rented mule... err... car.

After all the 'fun' I've had in rentals over the past few decades, I would never buy one.

My first cross-country was done in a rented mule. It was 9/11. I survived the destruction in New York, but had no way of getting back to Minnesota by air. So, that car ran like a beaten lama. Took me three days, but that was because of all of the site-seeing.

Rentals serve a purpose. Plain and simple.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Don’t know if I ever abused a rental vehicle. As a somewhat seasoned adult, I treat them like my own now.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Don’t know if I ever abused a rental vehicle. As a somewhat seasoned adult, I treat them like my own now.

You say that now, but how would you have treated them 20 years ago.

We were all kids once.

H&K-Guy

Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
there is something wrong with abusing someone else's property. the guy in the video thinks he's cute for doing it. i think he's an asshole but i guess that's just me.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
there is something wrong with abusing someone else's property. the guy in the video thinks he's cute for doing it. i think he's an asshole but i guess that's just me.

I agree. And I have been that asshole. At least in my yute'.

There is no excuse for such behavior, but there you have it.

H&K-Guy

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
That's nothing new. Those Mustangs that were built for Hertz, GT-350's back in the mid 60's. many stories of those rented and raced. Heard of at least one of them that had evidence of a roll bar installed and removed before it was returned.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yawn. I’ve bought several. Do what you do, I don’t care.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've always treated my rentals well.

Even had a convertible mustang we picked up in Vegas and drove out to Zion. May have had a quick start or two from light but nothing crazy.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must admit that I abused a rental SUV once in Arizona, but it was the fault of the GPS taking us into Sedona on the Schnebely Hill Road.

Beautiful views, but the road was rough to say the least, and looking underneath, the underneath guards for the sensitive parts were damaged beyond belief. Never called on it at the rental place.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
I never thought people would use them to do cross country runs in them but VINwiki shows otherwise:

For Christ sake, this isn't exactly rocket science. If a year old car has 30k+ miles on it, don't buy it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2004 Toyota Sienna in December 2004 with 20k miles on it. It was a rental. I still have it and have not had any problems with it.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Q - "What is the fastest car in reverse...?"

A - "A RENTAL!!!!!"

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
A client of mine owned a Ford dealership and rented a few cars in a market without a normal rental car agency. He rented a new compact sedan to a young man who had a reputation as a dickhead - unfortunately, he didn't know that. The fellow proceeded to rod the hell out of the car - nearly grinding the tires off on gravel roads and racing it.

Karma caught up when he lost control on a winding road and left the asphalt and sheered off a power pole half way up. He had buckled his seatbelt behind him so he went out the back window and died when the car rolled over and crushed him. The parents wanted to sue the dealership.

I saw the car the next day and the dickhead would probably survived had he buckled himself in. Oh Well.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:

I agree. And I have been that asshole. At least in my yute'.

There is no excuse for such behavior, but there you have it.

H&K-Guy

I agree, what he did is ethically and morally wrong and I was surprised he did that. It opened up my eyes to the lack of respect people have.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:

For Christ sake, this isn't exactly rocket science. If a year old car has 30k+ miles on it, don't buy it.

Sure, cause miles tell everything about a vehicle’s condition. If you believe that then I’ll sell you a bridge....

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I check the oil, tires, and will buy a quart of oil if the oil is low on a rental car.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Rental vehicles are abused vehicles.

A lot of the leased vehicles are just as bad.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post