SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice Young Man and my daughter
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice Young Man and my daughter Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
A Young fellow wants to meet with me regarding dating my daughter. What topics should I cover while talking with him ? He's not Young enough for me to clean my 45 while interviewing him so this will be a more or less serious conversation. So in the best interest of my daughter, what advice could you offer me for this meeting ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
How old are they? Pretty critical information not mentioned.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
be yourself

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
You can talk about whatever you want, of course, but you ought to talk about whatever your daughter wants you to talk about, so you don’t say the wrong things.

I have no daughters, but I did watch my younger sisters in their teen mating rituals. If a young man was of interest he would be treated one way, and if not, quite differently.

If it is important, your wife and daughter will make sure you know what to say.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Fingerprints and photograph, ID scanned for background check, all contact information / vehicle information, and pat him down.

How he takes to that depends where it goes from there. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
1) Sig or HK?
2) Pros/Cons of 10mm?
3) .556 or 6.5mm?

Seriously though, he wants to talk to you so it's kind of his show. Your questions should be relevant to his discussion.

Now, if he gives you an opening, I'd ask him about life, his expectations and goals, about his relationship with God.

But... How long have they been dating? How old are they?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
He's not Young enough for me to clean my 45 while interviewing him
If he wants to talk to you, he's not too old for that Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Perhaps something along these lines?
Language Warning - NSFW Pretty funny scene from Bad Boys 2.

Posts: 486 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be gracious. I imagine you've raised your daughter to be smart, responsible, and independent. The young man in question is coming to you for a man to man chat and you ought to treat him right unless he proves he's unworthy. Put yourself in his shoes. Treat him how you'd like to be treated.

We were all young bucks and we had various interactions with her dad. I know some of mine went well and others not so much. I'm far from perfect but there were times I was treated like a piece of shit for no other reason than dad couldn't get over the fact his little girl was growing up and was unwilling to accept anything other than his vision of the perfect man for her (hint pops - that guy doesn't exist).

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hand him a 100 dollar bill.

Tell him you are running way behind on your to do list for the day. Ask him to do some light shopping for you at home depot.

Tell him everything you need is on the list.

Hand him the list folded.

Send him to homedepot.

On the list.

Cheap shovel

duct tape

visqueen

small hatchet

small pruning saw

1 bag of lime.

If he comes back with the list and gets the joke, he is good to go.

If he comes back and asks what the heck it was for, he is a moron. not good to go.

if he does not come back, best 100 dollars spent.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’m sure your daughter has good judgement. I’d be ever the good listener and see where the young man takes the conversationWink

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I think it says something about him that he wants to meet you and talk. Shows respect.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:
He's not Young enough for me to clean my 45 while interviewing him
If he wants to talk to you, he's not too old for that Wink

You can always take the slightly more subtle route and have a conversation about what your last meal request would be if you ever had to murder someone and ended up on death row.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree the fact he is taking the step to talk to you shows he is likely not some fly by night douche. The old cliche stuff doesn’t fly.
Also agree the age we are talking about has a lot
To do with it- if we are talking under 20 that is a bit different talk than over 20

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
They are mid to late 20s. He hasn't landed on a specific trajectory, but he did wash out of BUDS, so I guess he gets some credit. Maybe.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are mid to late 20s. He hasn't landed on a specific trajectory, but he did wash out of BUDS, so I guess he gets some credit. Maybe.

Ask him if they get married or have a kid, is he gonna quit on them like he did in BUDs. Eek

Wink

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Hand him a 100 dollar bill.

Tell him you are running way behind on your to do list for the day. Ask him to do some light shopping for you at home depot.

Tell him everything you need is on the list.

Hand him the list folded.

Send him to homedepot.

On the list.

Cheap shovel

duct tape

visqueen

small hatchet

small pruning saw

1 bag of lime.

If he comes back with the list and gets the joke, he is good to go.

If he comes back and asks what the heck it was for, he is a moron. not good to go.

if he does not come back, best 100 dollars spent.

gotta admit,

that is funny

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
A Young fellow wants to meet with me regarding dating my daughter. What topics should I cover while talking with him ? He's not Young enough for me to clean my 45 while interviewing him so this will be a more or less serious conversation. So in the best interest of my daughter, what advice could you offer me for this meeting ?

dated this chick (well, so did the entire county and most of Longwood University, but I digress)

anyhoo, her father had a S&W mod 29,

was proud of it, and in a not really joking way, commented how he would be glad to use it,

I told him fine, could he hit me or my car at the end of his driveway??

he asked why, and I told him I had a M1A and
AR15 in the trunk, with mags and ammo, and would shoot back,

he doubted me till I opened the trunk,

never mentioned the 44 again

posted Hide Post
honestly - just get a feel for him, his background and how he spends his time.

Let HIM talk. You listen.

You will learn all you need to know - then act accordingly.

she is an adult - she is going to do what she wants anyway.

The best you can do - is be a PART of the solution (their future).

if you didn't raise her right - a 'hard core' demeanor to her boyfriend won't solve anything - might make things worse.

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I think it says something about him that he wants to meet you and talk. Shows respect.

Bear this in mind while you think about cleaning your .45: If he simply wanted to do the wrong thing, he wouldn’t want to meet you.

One of the wildest sexual experiences of my life happened as an apology from my high school girlfriend after her dad tried to intimidate me. I’m sure I’m not the only one, so send them off with the daughter good and mad at you if you want to accomplish EXACTLY what you’re trying to prevent.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post