SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Multiple fatalities, 10 injured following fiery crash involving 12 cars, 3 semis on I-70 in Colorado
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Multiple fatalities, 10 injured following fiery crash involving 12 cars, 3 semis on I-70 in Colorado Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
Wow. That's pretty awful.

Multiple fatalities, 10 injured following fiery crash involving 12 cars, 3 semis on I-70
Police: Out of control semi caused crash
Posted: 5:07 PM, Apr 25, 2019 Updated: 4 minutes ago
By: Robert Garrison

DENVER — Police confirmed multiple people have died following an afternoon fiery crash involving approximately 11 vehicles and four semis on the eastbound lanes of Interstate 70 near Colorado Mills Parkway. Nearly a dozen others were being treated for injuries, a spokesperson for the Lakewood Police Department said during a news conference Thursday evening.

Speaking to local media, Lakewood police spokesman Ty Countryman also said I-70 would be closed in both directions overnight as firefighters continue to work on hotspots from the crash. CDOT officials advised drivers to avoid the area altogether on Friday as extended closures could happen in that stretch of the highway into the morning rush hour commute.

In a tweet following the news conference, CDOT said travelers could use the detour at the Denver West off-ramp on westbound I-70.

Countryman said an investigation into the crash was still pending, given the number of vehicles involved and the magnitude and size of the crash, which he called "one of the worst accidents" the department has had in the city of Lakewood.

Police said an out of control tractor trailer in the eastbound lanes careened into stopped traffic at the Denver West Colorado Mills Parkway overpass. Traffic had been backed up due to a previous crash involving a jackknifed semi and a school bus about a mile ahead.

West Metro Fire crews said they treated at least two people, among them one of their firefighters, who was hit by debris when an explosion occurred. Officials from the department said the firefighter suffered minor injuries.

Arvada Fire said ten people were injured in addition to the fatality. Six of the injured were taken to area hospitals and four were treated at the scene. The driver of the 18-wheeler that lost control survived the collision, police said.

Lakewood police, who was also assisting in the crash, told Denver7 that at least one person was burned but is still alive.

A spokesperson for the Lakewood police said they are trying to place people with vehicles that lay scattered and charred along the highway. They said there have been no reports of anyone missing at this time.

Witnesses say they heard several explosions as fire crews worked to get the blaze fueled by tossed lumber and diesel fuel under control. Josh McCutchen, a YouTube vlogger, was streaming live video from his van on eastbound I-70 when the out of control semi passed him on the shoulder. His video continues, showing the aftermath of the collision.

The Colorado Department of Transportation closed both directions of the interstate and traffic is being diverted onto Colfax and 6th Avenue.

Lakewood police said the Denver West Parkway bridge over I-70 is believed to have suffered heavy damage. CDOT said the roadway on the interstate was damaged from the fire. There is no estimated time of when I-70 will reopen. However, CDOT said drivers should prepare for the area to remain closed into the Friday morning commute.

Police said they are investigating what caused the truck driver to lose control of his rig.

https://www.thedenverchannel.c...mills-parkway-bridge

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
So Sad.

Praying for those injured and for the families that lost someone.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Off-topic: how does one have a "Jackknifed school bus"? Was it articulated?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Off-topic: you seem to be lacking in reading comprehension.
It didn't read the school bus was jackknifed, jackass..

You are an embarrassment to the State of Texas...

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Traffic had been backed up due to a previous crash involving a jackknifed semi and a school bus about a mile ahead.

Yeah, either somebody was having reading comprehension problem, or he was trying to be cute. Not cool, either way.

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
quote:

flashguy

What the hell is your problem?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

If you were joking with that comment you need to put in a wink or a smiley face. If you are serious which is the way it reads my suggestion to you is to cut down on your caffeine intake, or start listening to calming music...no smiley or wink face here.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Must be in the water this morning.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

Flashguy is a great member here, one of the best. Your response is rude and out of place.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah, this thread got sideways fast.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

Sorry. My browser window was too narrow and cut off some of the right hand text, such that what I saw read "jacknifed school bus".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

What the fuck........jackass and embarrassment for a simple mistake? Honestly hope you don't behave this way in public unless you have a good dentist.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I hate it when lovers quarrel.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Looks like one of the vehicles involved was carrying lumber.

That must have made for some awful missiles flying around and then an even bigger fire afterwards.

Really awful.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I saw a clip of the mentioned vlogger when the speeding "out of control" semi went flying down on the shoulder past all the stopped cars. He was seriously moving fast and didn't look to be even trying to slow down. It was nuts.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
All I can think about is a Final Destination movie.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

Suggest you cool it a little. This was uncalled for. Insulting people does not generally go well.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I saw a clip of the mentioned vlogger when the speeding "out of control" semi went flying down on the shoulder past all the stopped cars. He was seriously moving fast and didn't look to be even trying to slow down. It was nuts.

"Out of control semi." Gear stuck in high, accelerator stuck floored, brake non-functional. What an unfortunate series of coincidences....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
I saw the plume of smoke while on my way home from Boulder. It was quite a large fire.
The place where the crash took place is after a very long, steep descent on I-70 out of the Rocky Mountains onto the plains where the metroplex is situated. I would guess that the truck's brakes were overheated and not effective in slowing the truck down. The speed limit in that stretch of I-70 is 65 mph, but the usual speed of traffic is 75 mph.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post