SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A little warning, be careful with your knife!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little warning, be careful with your knife! Login/Join 
posted
Well, I'm feeling kinda dumb. I can't believe that I did this and thank God I wasn't hurt more.

You see, I got this new knife. Nothing special, just something to carry instead of my Benchmade.

Well anyways I found a Emerson designed knife made by Kershaw. It's not the greatest knife, but ok. Anyway it has the "Emerson Wave" feature. There lies the problem, I'm not use to this feature and we'll I had a little incident with it. I was removing my new fangled knife from my pocket and well, the "wave" feature kind of worked. I say that because it caught the pocket (I was not meaning to/trying) and it came partly open (not wanting it to) and I kinda of stabbed myself! Well more like poked myself. It's a 1/8th inch cut about half as deep to 1/8 inch. I cut my t-shirt, and bleed on my shorts.

My first thought was oh hell I eviscerated myself! After I looked at it, well it wasn't so bad. But damn, I can't believe that I did this. It wasn't like I was being unsafe, or careless. I was just pulling my knife out to cut something open.

So I guess the moral of the story is be especially careful with your new knife until you get accustomed to it!

Damn, I can't believe that I did this! Nothing serious, but it could have been. Nothing that a little iodine and band-aid couldn't fix.

Arman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you are ok. That's great!

Coincidentally I just saw a news blurb saying that witch joy behar accidentally stabbed herself in the hand and was hospitalized. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the wound was not as bad it could have been.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't feel bad. I bought an Emerson a long time ago pre wave. Anyway, the thumb studs were aggressively checkered and one caught on my pocket, basically same outcome as you. I took a dremel to it and smoothed it out. Later I found out that was a deliberate design feature, a pre wave version. That one is in my pocket now, served me well for nearly 20 years.

I have a new waved mini-commander as well, great knife but I don't really care about the wave either way.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be happy it wasn’t a real Emerson

I only have 2 Emerson’s with the wave feature, I also learned the hard way.

I now make sure I slide the clip up the pocket seam when needed for casual use

After a little practice it’s a very efficient feature if needed. Definitely as fast as an assisted open knife.

I carry a wave knife casually around New Orleans at night

My work edc is a mini A-100

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats it, move to London and they'll keep you safe.

A good reminder for certain all joking aside. I've cut myself good with a few knives. Glad it doesnt sound like anything too bad.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Your sacrifice is acknowledged by the Blade Gods. You now have a friend and protector for life. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You lived; quit being a baby.

Seriously, I think most cuts happen with new knives such as what you had.

I remember seeing the first leatherman tool knife in a hardware store in downtown San Francisco. I asked to see it. I was fascinated with the concept. I opened the blade and, oh shit, blood was profusely dripping onto the glass counter.

I suppose back then I could have hired an injury lawyer on contingent but I was more embarrassed than anything. I bought the knife then and there.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Walk it off!

I think we all learn how to properly manipulate the Emerson wave in a similar fashion.

CQC7b/wave in my pocket as I type.

The tip of the blade went blunt end forward through my finger as it opened. Now I grab the scales with fingertips as I draw it.

Bled like a stuck pig!

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have several Emerson's and it has happened to me before. If you are wearing jeans you are just best off using the wave feature. If you have the knife in your pocket, and not clipped to your pocket, make sure you put your fingers on the closed blade as you pull it out. You can get a nasty surprise otherwise.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd just climbed off a ladder in a tent in Iraq, and exactly as every boy scout knows not to do, I closed my emerson pocket knife. I glanced down at my hand, as the knife felt slippery, and there hung the end of my thumb, which got in the way of the knife as it slid closed. I didn't know it until I felt the texture and saw the blood. Luckily there was neosporin and a pile of bandaids, and luckily it didn't grow infected and stayed put after taping it back in place. I can't hardly tell, now.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Rub some dirt in it, you'll be fine

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I hope you applied some antiseptic! I doubt that new knife was sterile. Seriously, glad you weren't wounded worse.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Wow, there is a learning curve to the wave. Glad you only had a wake up warning, and not a serious injury.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 1/8th inch deep cut? That edge needs work.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
You are finally Blooded!

Every one of us who has carried a knife routinely has earned that boy scout patch.

For me it was putting my hand in my pocket while the blade was exposed and slicing a solid 1/4 inch or more into my index.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Be happy it wasn’t a real Emerson

I only have 2 Emerson’s with the wave feature, I also learned the hard way.

I now make sure I slide the clip up the pocket seam when needed for casual use

After a little practice it’s a very efficient feature if needed. Definitely as fast as an assisted open knife.

I carry a wave knife casually around New Orleans at night

My work edc is a mini A-100

Agreed. I have 2 Emersons and had a couple close calls early on. Now I ride them forward in the pocket for utility so the wave feature wont hook, or ride them back when I might want to use it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
As they say, "always cut towards your chum, never cut towards your thumb".

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1492 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Be glad you didn't cut your Johnson off !

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I had a hidden button semi-custom auto open in my slacks once. Cut right through the pocket and the outer material and ruined the pants. Learned to not put it with the button towards the outside and then lean up on tables and such.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post