Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carson Optics Login/Join 
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted
My SO is going to Africa next month and the tour group recommends that they take binoculars - they go so far as to recommend a particular brand and model and give a special price.

The brand is Carson and the binoculars are their 8x42 model. Carson's website makes them sound impressive and we really haven't found anything bad about them on the net.

Wondered if anyone here has any experience with Carson optics generally and these binoculars specifically. Weight seems to be a critical factor to my SO and she has only found one comparable model lighter.

Thanks for any response.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what your budget is, but those are entry level binos and a good set will provide better performance in every aspect.
I like the Swarovski optics and their binos will provide a wider field of view, closer focus, better resolution, better low light performance and less colour aberation. Unfortunately all of this costs $$$$

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I briefly had Carson SW842 binoculars (8.5x42, weighed 30 oz) touted for their very wide 11 degree field of view, but they had very tight eye relief and significant edge distortion making them untenable. I quickly sold them.

There are much much better options out there to choose from that won't break the bank. That said I too have Swarokski bins (7x42 SLC) that are stellar.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Just get the 8x42 Nikon Monarchs and be done with it. The Monarch 5 is probably the best bang for your buck.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not that I know anything about that specific brand (and that might be a clue in itself), but the fact that it’s lighter than most others may be an indication that the components are not too robust, and/or that the binoculars contain plastic lenses and/or prisms.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Just get the 8x42 Nikon Monarchs and be done with it. The Monarch 5 is probably the best bang for your buck.

Good advice. Even the older Monarch binoculars are quite good for the money.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
We used Leupold BX-3s for our two trips to Tanzania - 8x42 for the wife and I used 10x50.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Here is an article about the “optical triangle” that discusses the relationship among eye relief, magnification, and field of view. In short, though, increasing one automatically means that one or both of the other will be reduced. Wide field of view? Less eye relief and/or magnification.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Good advice. Even the older Monarch binoculars are quite good for the money.

Another huge +1 for the Monarchs. Can't beat the quality in that price range, IMO. I was just using a pair this morning scouting for bald eagles at Blackwater NWR this morning, in fact.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
ust get the 8x42 Nikon Monarchs and be done with it. The Monarch 5 is probably the best bang for your buck.

Any of the Monarchs. My current favorite is the 8 x 30 Monarch 7 because light and compact, but still outstanding visually.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I have 2 friends with Carson Binos and I've heard no complaints. Try to borrow someone's to try or at worst buy a pair to experiment.

For Africa, I'd research what hunters use. Being able to see animals at dusk/dawn will probably be important.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Carson monocular. I bought it because it is lightweight. Its optics are not very good.
Nikon Monarchs are excellent for the $$$.
And I have a small pair of Vortex binos that are excellent too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Swarovski, Leica, and Zeiss HD glasses are where I would start. Then I would look at Cabela's Eurovision which are surprisingly good. Nikon, Leupold, and Vortex would be where I would look next. As an FYI, the Nikon EDG is a high-end glass too. Carson reminds me of Christensen Optics. I had a friend who was with Christensen when they started up. Their goal was to compete with the Big 3. To keep costs down, they had their optics made in China at a tier 1 factory. They had a good product, just not as good as Swaros, Zeiss, Leica and the Cabelas Euro. If I was going on a once in a life time trip, I would buy the best optics I could afford.

Edited to add: I would go to Cabelas, Sportmans, etc. and look through the Swarvovski HD as your pinacle lense and then work down from there until you meet your price and quality point. By starting with the best, you know what you are getting.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post