SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DSL Capable Modem - Routers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSL Capable Modem - Routers Login/Join 
posted
Power surge/lightning strike/something? during a thunderstorm two nights ago apparently fried our Netgear modem-router unit. No big deal, been happy with the Netgear unit we had, a little research and we'll go back to Best Buy and get something else.
Not that easy and judging by the looks from the sales force at Best Buy we are the only people in the world using DSL for our Internet. And, Best Buy only stocks cable ready units, ditto for Wal Mart.
We're probably going to give consideration to moving to cable for our internet, so I'll take recommendations for both DSL or cable capable modems, routers, or combo units. My brother recommends whatever modem coupled to Apple Airport? units.
What say y'all?

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
I have CenturyLink VDSL, and I use a modem from their approved list. And I use it only as a modem. I have routing, DHCP, and Wi-Fi all disabled, and those services are provided by other devices more suitable to the task. I dislike "all-in-one" devices. They generally do one thing well, and the rest, maybe not so much, or there are better alternatives. If/when I need help with my Internet connection, I can use CenturyLink technical support, because it is their approved modem.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Yet another CenturyLink VDSL guy here. I second henryaz in its use.

Who is your ISP? What does your ISP recommend as being compatible with them?

I would rather stab myself in the eye with a sharpie than go cable. But that's just me. You may feel differently.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our provider is ATT. We still have a landline(which we need to dump).

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:
Our provider is ATT. We still have a landline(which we need to dump).

Dude, the 1980's called, they want their ATT Worldnet back. Razz Big Grin Wink

You may want to consider a more modern alternative if available in your area.

My setup is not all that "modern" either, but if you can't come up with a solution that has at least 5 up and 50 down, I'd look for something else. Check to see if fibre or at least VDSL is available in your market. You should expect at least T1 speeds in today's world.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post