SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ruth B. Ginsburg, she's on the home stretch.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruth B. Ginsburg, she's on the home stretch. Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't give a rat's ass what she says, no matter what it is, short of "I resign".

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
As Bad as she is.. she actually came out last week saying she is disappointed in the blatant partisanship shown in the senate hearings. That it should not be that way.

And today's partisanship is to a great extent her fault. There was a time when people expected the supreme court to rule based on interpretation of the constitution regardless of left or right political leaning.

I can't recall any of her rulings in the past several years that have been anything but a furtherance of leftist causes regardless of constitutionality. Now that we are wise to this agenda how could a nomination NOT be partisan in nature?

The fact that she doesn't recognize her own hypocrisy on this topic is yet another indicator that she is long past being fit for the job.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
The fact that she doesn't recognize her own hypocrisy on this topic is yet another indicator that she is long past being fit for the job.

Sounds like standard delusion/hypocrisy that is integral to the modern whacky leftist. She may actually be able to know right from wrong, but the habit of spewing lefty BS is just habit at this point, just like many or most of them.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Just to inject a bit of a different perspective, RBG's arrogance and ego did all of us a favor, in that she could have retired and been replaced by Barry Obama. Instead, she decided she was far too important to retire then, opted to play the Hillary lotto, and lost.

I'd imagine most of her focus now is spent just trying to hang on long enough to prevent Trump from replacing her with someone who will render her tenure on the court irrelevant.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Just to inject a bit of a different perspective, RBG's arrogance and ego did all of us a favor, in that she could have retired and been replaced by Barry Obama. Instead, she decided she was far too important to retire then, opted to play the Hillary lotto, and lost.

I'd imagine most of her focus now is spent just trying to hang on long enough to prevent Trump from replacing her with someone who will render her tenure on the court irrelevant.

I don't think she'll make it the next six years President Trump is in office....

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, she doen't make it the next six minutes.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
I don't think she'll make it the next six years President Trump is in office....

More than likely, she'll give up her seat, one way or another, before this time next year. She is going downhill fast, no need to grease her shoes.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I can dream, can't I? If she kicked this weekend, man, that would be fantastic. The commies would lose their shit all the way. All the way. They'd be chewing off their own limbs and speaking in tongues (in-between bites, that is).

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

There were 153 opinions last term, including concurrences and dissents. RGB wrote 15 times.

Yeah, but...

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
If she kicked this weekend, man, that would be fantastic.

There might be a little more snap to it if it happens just after Kavanaugh is confirmed. There's nothing like hitting someone with a tidal wave when they're exhausted and demoralized.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Hopefully, she doen't make it the next six minutes.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any truth to the rumor that RBG was groped by Abraham Lincoln?

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Any truth to the rumor that RBG was groped by Abraham Lincoln?
Read the Goddamned thread.

I'm gonna start coming down on members for this shit. If you can't be bothered to read a thread, don't bother posting to it.

This lame joke was already in the thread when I DELETED IT AGAIN earlier today.

Read threads before you post to them

Read the thread.

Read the thread.

Read the thread.

Read the thread.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
There might be a little more snap to it if it happens just after Kavanaugh is confirmed. There's nothing like hitting someone with a tidal wave when they're exhausted and demoralized.

Oh yeah, I think the perfect timing would be when they announce the confirmation of Kavanaugh. Imagine; the protesters out in full force, yelling and screaming, the media in a hysterical hissy fit, and then the other shoe drops.

The reaction would rival the 2016 Election night Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Oh yeah, I think the perfect timing would be when they announce the confirmation of Kavanaugh. Imagine; the protesters out in full force, yelling and screaming, the media in a hysterical hissy fit, and then the other shoe drops.

The reaction would rival the 2016 Election night Smile

It would be so very, very nice! Timing is everything!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This may very well be a case of a joke turning into reality. Wasn't there a thread recently where Para made a crack about old Ruth keeling over during a hearing and a big "thump" from her head hitting the desk?

From that first video that will very likely happen. She is either close to death or her meds are way off.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I can dream, can't I? If she kicked this weekend, man, that would be fantastic. The commies would lose their shit all the way. All the way. They'd be chewing off their own limbs and speaking in tongues (in-between bites, that is).

Beautiful mental image.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. If the supposedly most scholarly and knowledgeable legal minds the country regularly end up with SC decisions being 5-4 splits, may as well just flip a coin on a best two out of three basis.

Think of all the money we could save...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. If the supposedly most scholarly and knowledgeable legal minds the country regularly end up with SC decisions being 5-4 splits, may as well just flip a coin on a best two out of three basis.

Four of them vote the way they want things to be, have little regard for printed laws, so they are not using their scholarly minds.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

Four of them vote the way they want things to be, have little regard for printed laws, so they are not using their scholarly minds.

quote:
Justice Anthony M. Kennedy’s announcement Wednesday that he would be retiring from the Supreme Court led to justifiable hand-wringing about his crucial role as the swing vote in 5-to-4 decisions. But while 5-to-4 decisions — including the Tuesday blockbuster upholding President Trump’s travel ban — draw deserved attention, they obscure an important truth: The court values consensus, and justices agree far more often than they disagree.

The ratio is staggering. According to the Supreme Court Database, since 2000 a unanimous decision has been more likely than any other result — averaging 36 percent of all decisions. Even when the court did not reach a unanimous judgment, the justices often secured overwhelming majorities, with 7-to-2 or 8-to-1 judgments making up about 15 percent of decisions. The 5-to-4 decisions, by comparison, occurred in 19 percent of cases.

And the court’s commitment to consensus does not appear to be slowing. In the 2016-17 term, 57 percent of decisions were unanimous, and judgments with slim majorities (5 to 3 or 5 to 4) accounted for 14 percent. This term shows a similar trend. Surprisingly firm majorities issued some of the most anticipated decisions. In Masterpiece Cakeshop — the case concerning a baker’s refusal to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple — the court issued a rather narrow ruling on the substance, but it drew seven of the nine justices’ votes. In Gill v. Whitford, the court unanimously agreed that a group of Wisconsin voters did not have standing to challenge their state’s legislative map, and seven justices concurred that the voters could take their case back to district court and try again.

Even some closer cases were not split along the expected lines. In Carpenter v. U.S., Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. joined the more liberal justices to hold that the Fourth Amendment requires law enforcement to obtain a warrant before searching old cellphone records. And Justice Neil M. Gorsuch did the same when he joined the 5-to-4 decision in Sessions v. Dimaya, which held that a federal law that made deportation mandatory for a certain group of immigrants was unconstitutionally vague.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post