SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ruth B. Ginsburg, she's on the home stretch.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruth B. Ginsburg, she's on the home stretch. Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
Like any of us, she’s seen better days.

Circa 1953 @ Cornell

She wore a pearl necklace...doop doop doop...a pearl necklace.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I thought SCOTUS Justices were subject to possible impeachment, just as is the President.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I thought SCOTUS Justices were subject to possible impeachment, just as is the President.

flashguy

High crimes and misdemeanors, not old age or decrepitude.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Question for JALLEN or anyone else who might know. If RBG were to be in such failing health she could no longer sit the bench and do the job, is there a way she could be replaced before she actually kicked off? I've never researched that angle and am curious if there is any recourse to remove/replace her if she's incapable of doing the job but still sucking air.

She can retire but nobody can make her. It’s all up to the Justice. Other Justices might make gentle suggestions, I suppose.
Let me re-phase. What if she were bed ridden or hospitalized and unable to function as a participant on SCOTUS (or even a functioning human being)? I fear you're telling me she could linger on drugs and secondary support measures for months, even years, without agreeing to give up the seat.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Question for JALLEN or anyone else who might know. If RBG were to be in such failing health she could no longer sit the bench and do the job, is there a way she could be replaced before she actually kicked off? I've never researched that angle and am curious if there is any recourse to remove/replace her if she's incapable of doing the job but still sucking air.

She can retire but nobody can make her. It’s all up to the Justice. Other Justices might make gentle suggestions, I suppose.
Let me re-phase. What if she were bed ridden or hospitalized and unable to function as a participant on SCOTUS (or even a functioning human being)? I fear you're telling me she could linger on drugs and secondary support measures for months, even years, without agreeing to give up the seat.

Let me rephrase. Yes. There is no controlling legal authority that I know of.

Art. 3 mentions the term as “during good behavior.” Maybe something could be made of that, but you are adrift in uncharted legal waters.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Too soon to start the "who will Trump nominate to replace her" discussion? Cue up the lawyers and victims!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4573 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Too soon to start the "who will Trump nominate to replace her" discussion? Cue up the lawyers and victims!

Oh man...the fur is going to fly with that one.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

High crimes and misdemeanors, not old age or decrepitude.
I know. I was responding that death and retirement were not the only ways that a Justice can leave the Court.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Candidate Trump posted a list of nearly 2 dozen judges who were potential appointees. I doubt he has considered any major changes to that list.

flashguy

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too soon to start the "who will Trump nominate to replace her" discussion? Cue up the lawyers and fake victims!

I have little doubt the maggots have an entire warehouse dedicated to this purpose.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

Like "Alien/s". No matter how many times you kill "it/them", there's plenty more in the nursery...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Well timed thread. I saw her donan interview the other day and she was barely coherent and understandable. Honestly it was shocking.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
The founding fathers assumed reasonable people would be appointed and elected to important positions in perpetuity. In their wildest dreams or nightmares, they couldn't envision the modern lib/dem.

Some have suggested that the system could only succeed with moral or honest participants. Looking at how near the tipping point to the republic folding we've been, looks like they nailed it.

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me rephrase. Yes. There is no controlling legal authority that I know of.

Art. 3 mentions the term as “during good behavior.” Maybe something could be made of that, but you are adrift in uncharted legal waters.
Unfortunately, that appears to be about the same thing I was able to find. Looks like she could be totally brain dead and on complete life support and still hold the seat until her body finally gave out. I'm sure the Dem's would line up in support of that exact outcome. Quite certain the founders never dreamt of such behavior by someone working in the US government.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
The founding fathers assumed reasonable people would be appointed and elected to important positions in perpetuity. In there wildest dreams or nightmares, they couldn't envision the modern lib/dem.

Some have suggested that the system could only succeed with moral or honest participants. Looking at how near the tipping point to the republic folding we've been, looks like they nailed it.

Indeed - our Founding Fathers even said our government was only fit for a people who were moral. Half the country said it was perfectly okay when Clintoon received a BJ in the oval office from an intern less than half his age.

If RBG cared more about the well-being of the SCOTUS than her own personal agenda, she'd step down rather than letting her clerks do her job for her.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why should she have to step down just because she chooses to no longer have a pulse or detectable brain function?
Shouldn't she be able to continue on as a Supreme Court justice if her lifestyle choice is to be room temperature?
You guys are very narrow minded and bigoted forcing your own ideas of science and common sense on everyone else.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:
Why should she have to step down just because she chooses to no longer have a pulse or detectable brain function?
Shouldn't she be able to continue on as a Supreme Court justice if her lifestyle choice is to be room temperature?
You guys are very narrow minded and bigoted forcing your own ideas of science and common sense on everyone else.

I apologize

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:

So, you're saying she should be able to stay on the SC as long as she can vote?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post