SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ruth B. Ginsburg, she's on the home stretch.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruth B. Ginsburg, she's on the home stretch. Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Most likely, her clerks write everything for her and she probably doesn't really do anything. Awhile back, I read something - might have been from Gorsuch, talking about the undue influence that Supreme Court clerks have in writing decisions and/or selecting cases to be heard.

quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
What's the extent of her contributions to the Supreme Court right now? Does she write opinions?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
People like her outlive everyone’s expectations.

Mad

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I heard she is going to step down from the Supremes and take up being the Frontwoman for AC/DC.

I would pay big $$$ for that show! Big Grin

I can just imagine her rendition of living on "Borrowed Time"...

"Beating Around The (George) Bush"...

"On The Highway To Hell" (are we there yet?...soon)...

"Thunderstruck" (let's hope)...

Forgive me...I'm being mean.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
What's the extent of her contributions to the Supreme Court right now? Does she write opinions?

There were 153 opinions last term, including concurrences and dissents. RGB wrote 15 times. Kennedy wrote 13, Thomas was highest at 31, Sotomayer had 23.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...of_the_United_States

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Steven Hawkings looks in better health.

And Stephen Hawking has been dead for 6 months.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I imagine she could take an extended medical leave like McCain did and still hold the seat but not participate.

"For life" to me means until death or impeachement.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I saw the last video a week or so ago and said to myself "my God that women has no business being on the Supreme Court." I mean, she can't even hold her head up to have a face to face conversation. Another thing I've noticed is that the leftist media have already begun "memorializing" her tenure on the SC.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
She was planning to retire if the Beast had been elected. Now she is locked in until the GR appears at her side. You think the left is going nuts now you wait until the next Justice Trump nominates.

Watching that last video I was thinking even with my slow typing skills I could dictate in real time using a 1908 Remington typewriter, and still have time to drink my ice tea.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Assuming Kavanaugh gets seated, and if we lose the majority in Congress, we'll still be at 5-3 in the Supreme Court. Does Trump have to nominate a replacement? Maybe stick with those numbers until we gain back Congress.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
RGB wrote 15 times.

You mean... like with a pen? Razz

I'm not going so far as to not give her credit for a keen intellect, or to say the opinions are not hers.... but she has clerks to do the heavy lifting. Of course, they all do... but some rely on them more than others.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
That's not declining health, that's a decaying corpse.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
LOL !

Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like any of us, she’s seen better days.

Circa 1953 @ Cornell

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I heard she is going to step down from the Supremes and take up being the Frontwoman for AC/DC.

Back In Black (robes)

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Poor old gal needs some Geritol.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Geebus. You have to wonder if she even participates of if her crew just does it all in her name.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Assuming When Kavanaugh gets seated, and if we lose the majority in Congress, we'll still be at 5-3 in the Supreme Court. Does Trump have to nominate a replacement? Maybe stick with those numbers until we gain back Congress.

Fixed!

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FLUSH! She's circling the drain but doesn't know it yet.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Assuming When Kavanaugh gets seated, and if we lose the majority in Congress, we'll still be at 5-3 in the Supreme Court. Does Trump have to nominate a replacement? Maybe stick with those numbers until we gain back Congress.

Fixed!

...But not answered. Wink

I re-read the section of the Constitution on Supreme Court appointments over lunch, and it does not appear that there are time constraints. We may have this as a backstop.

(Thanks again to JALLEN for sending me his spare copy of the Constitution a couple years ago!)

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post