SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wool sock question?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wool sock question? Login/Join 
Cut and plug
posted
So I have a wool sock question for you guys. I purchased a pair of darn tough light ankle socks that I really like. However when I wear them they cause my feet to feel extremely wet. Does anyone else have this issue? I have a couple of pairs of Kirkland wool socks that are much thicker however they don't bother me as much. Could it be that they are just to thin? Or any other ideas? Thanks for the help.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
bendable is the forum's resident sock authority. If he can't answer it...well, if he can't answer it, you shouldn't be asking, that's all.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Wait until he finds out that it is best to go barefoot so you are grounded and will live longer. Wink

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Wool is not great at wicking moisture.

Look for a sock that points out it's ability to wick moisture away from your feet. Best I've found is a wool/synthetic blend.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
What is the sock made of. I know it's wool but it's not 100% wool. I like the ones with a higher % of wool myself. I like my Darn Tough socks better then others including Smart Wool.

I had the same problem with some Smart Wool sock but nothing like old style cotton socks.

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Wool is not great at wicking moisture.

Look for a sock that points out it's ability to wick moisture away from your feet. Best I've found is a wool/synthetic blend.

All the Darn Tough socks are a wool blend I know of.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Darn Tough makes a CoolMax Synthetic version of most of their socks as well.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
so, are you also implying that with the same shoes, that you don't sweat as much with non-wool or other type of socks ? we might was well get scientific here, since darn tough is as good as or better than smartwool and ibex.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post