SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Direct vent gas fireplace recommendations requested
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Direct vent gas fireplace recommendations requested Login/Join 
posted
We're doing some remodeling and tearing out a very poorly designed and constructed chimney stack to get it out of the roof line. Converting to natural gas direct vented gas logs. Vent-less are not an option. I can't tolerate the odors.

The old fire box is a 36" width opening.

Who are the quality players in a replacement direct vent fireplace with logs, blower, and controls? Superior? Majestic? Heat&Glow? Mendota? Others?

I believe I have a reputable installer lined up, but finding a showroom to view a good sampling of options is proving to be impossible. What are the most realistic looking, most efficient units covered by the best warranties?

For example, I visited a local dealer today. They had one unit on display; a Heat&Glo 6000CLX. It had a fancy remote, blower, attractive lined box, good looking logs/flame. Price seemed reasonable. However, the LED embers were horrible. The warranty on the burners was 5 years and valve was 1 year. I hope there are better warranties out there.

Posts: 587 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Lopi makes excellent quality stoves, inserts, etc.

https://www.lopistoves.com/

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Lopi OR Valor or Regency.

I would if possible find a NC certified chimney sweep.... they are more qualified than most store employees....

now with that said, you are going in the right direction. My only complaint about the new 'heat producing' direct vent units is they are way over engineered and the remotes take at least a bachelors degree to operate. Some will not operate with out a remote.

Don't get too concerned with warranties... they are written to protect the manufacture. you't be surprised what some folks will do... like the guy in Kentucky who hooked his new gas furnace up to the hole in the mountain in his back yard where the raw methane was leaking out.... I've seen folks take the glass off the front of their direct vents so they can get more heat out of them.

Good call on ventless.... by the way.. .worst invention of the 20th century. People will call the cops on you for smoking out in public or not wearing a mask and go home and turn on their ventless logs and be happy breathing what comes off of them...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info. I'll check these out.

Posts: 587 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
We have two propane Mendota Fullviews in the new house, and have been very happy with them. Virtually trouble free, and easy to use. The multispeed blowers throw A LOT of heat, but are quiet.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We had a HeatnGlo vented unit, worked fine for 20 years then bit the dust, with it's age the parts were not available so it needed replacement.

Decided to eliminate it and go with an electric insert with led flame logs. Darn thing looks really good, no mess to clean. It has electric heat, we run ours on 110 plug in since we had an electric box for starting the LP gas unit it replaced.

You can wire it to 220 and get some serious heat, since we are in FL we really don't have a need for a full time wood burning fireplace for heat purposes.

IF you don't need it to be a full time heat source the new Electric inserts are very nice.

We have the Revolution electric LED 42 inch unit, they also have gas models.

Dimplex Link

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put in a Regency Liberty last year.

I found one dealer near me that qutoed me about half of the high bids.

I have a 100 year old chimney, they ran two flex pipes up to a new chimney cap and it has been working great.

Be sure to shop around. I could not beleive the cost differces for both the units and the labor.

When you get a quote ask them to quote the unit and the labor seperately.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I installed a Heat n Glo 6000 CLX 5 or 6 years ago and it hasn't been any trouble at all, we've been very happy with it. I had a wood stove that was great but like a lot of people got tired of the mess and not having a free wood supply wasn't saving any money. It's been very nice to grab the remote and have it warm things up with no mess of wood.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post