SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good place to buy laptop RAM?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good place to buy laptop RAM? Login/Join 
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted
Looking for a good buy on some 8GB x2 DDR4 2400MHz 260 pin sodimm laptop memory.

Anything to be wary of?

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.newegg.com/

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I usually go for Crucial for aftermarket RAM. Their customer support is good, if you should ever need it.

I use their website to find the model I need, then compare cost for that part number at Amazon.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Yep familiar with Newegg. Let me rephrase - I'm a cheap bastard, any REAL GOOD deals?

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
being that specific, nothing to worry about, I'd look for lower CAS timings. if a 15 and a 16 are the same price go with the 15.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I usually compare prices between Crucial, Newegg and Amazon.

Last time I bought I was building a PC for work and most of the stuff I got from Newegg and got 32GB of G.Skill RAM. Seems just great so far.

I have bought a lot of memory for Macs over the past couple years and it was mostly Crucial and Kingston from Amazon.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
being that specific, nothing to worry about, I'd look for lower CAS timings. if a 15 and a 16 are the same price go with the 15.

Now I'm confused. I wanted this to be simple.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
You meant 16, not 15, ¿si?

I prefer 2 x 8 rather than 1 x 16 if there are slots to accommodate this. Reason: If a RAM module decides to die, I can at least limp along on half throttle while I'm waiting for the replacement. If all my eggs are in one basket I'm dead in the water.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I prefer 2 x 8 rather than 1 x 16 if there are slots to accommodate this. Reason: If a RAM module decides to die, I can at least limp along on half throttle while I'm waiting for the replacement. If all my eggs are in one basket I'm dead in the water.

no lower is better.
8GB x2 DDR4 2400MHz CAS 15 is better than 8GB x2 DDR4 2400MHz CAS 16

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
There are lots of good deals to be had on eBay for RAM.

quote:
I usually go for Crucial for aftermarket RAM.

I used to use Crucial a lot, but in recent years they've gotten a lot more expensive than other sources. Same thing happened with Ammunition To Go for ammo. I can no longer recommend either.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

no lower is better.
8GB x2 DDR4 2400MHz CAS 15 is better than 8GB x2 DDR4 2400MHz CAS 16
D'oh! I thought we were talking about 16 GB and I perceived a typo re 15. I stand corrected.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Well, if Cowboy Action Shooting ram is good, USPSA ram or IDPA ram must be a lot faster.. Big Grin. Shows what I know. If you have a Micro Center Store near you, you can get good prices on all brands of memory.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
Looking for a good buy on some 8GB x2 DDR4 2400MHz 260 pin sodimm laptop memory.

Anything to be wary of?

http://www.pricewatch.com/system_memory/

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a download at crucial.com. You download the .exe and run it, brings up their website with all compatable options. Made it VERY easy when I recently updated my desktop to 16GB total.

Next up for me is a nice SSD.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I like to use PC parts picker. You might be able to find a better deal here. Just know that their prices are not always current but usually are pretty good on getting up to date pricing. You can also search based on the specs you are looking for:

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/

Once you know what you are looking for, a quick google search on the model number might pull up a better price somewhere as well.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Wow so many replies with so little have read the OP. Crazy.

OP - DDR4 market is pretty stable ATM, imo. You're going to pay market price for 8gb dimms no matter where you get them unfortunately. You could try the marketplace sellers on NewEgg or Amazon, but since most of the fleet notebooks (Latitude/ProBook/etc) are still being designed and released with DDR4, you're just not going to see lots of spares around. Probably best to just pny up for a decent set of 8gb dimms or singles depending on price.

FWIW YMMV etc etc

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9157 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Microcenter for sure. I love that place but I can't go there without buying stuff. Like a kid in a candy store.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Memory is a commodity item although I stick to Kingston or Crucial for consistency on all the computers I build or upgrade for most everyday or business computers.
Gaming Memory can get much more expensive and more complicated and there are other vendors I will use for those boxes.

You generally won't find a lot of deviation in the price unless someone is promoting or having a sale.
Memory prices fluctuate some because of the commodity status and now prices are up some ~ approx. 10-15% more than some months ago.
It may go sown some in the future but the change is not always a rapid one like gas prices or gold prices.

Just find the memory you like and Google Search the model.

Although even as a Reseller I buy quite a bit from New Egg in addition to my regular distributors.
If some one like Fry's who is always having a sale ~ has a below cost deal I stock up.

Otherwise memory is memory.

Good Luck.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
There is a download at crucial.com. You download the .exe and run it, brings up their website with all compatable options. Made it VERY easy when I recently updated my desktop to 16GB total.

Next up for me is a nice SSD.

quote:
I usually go for Crucial for aftermarket RAM. Their customer support is good, if you should ever need it.

I use their website to find the model I need, then compare cost for that part number at Amazon.

Thanks for those tips. Once I was at my computer I ran the scan on Crucial's website and it pulled up my choices for what I needed. Turns out, according to that, I needed something that was different from what I had in the OP, DDR3.

Went through Amazon, free overnight Prime shipping and a good price ($98 8GBx2). Got work to pay for it anyway but we should be good to go. Hopefully tomorrow I become a much more productive member of society.