SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Holiday greetings and bad situations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holiday greetings and bad situations Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good morning, all. In this time of holidays and happiness and cheery situations, I'm aware that there are a lot of people out there in crummy situations, for whom the usual happy greetings may just be sand in the ointment, so to speak.

There are lots of articles on the web right now mentioning seasonal depression and such, and I'm left wondering. If we know someone who's in a crummy situation, how do we avoid hurting feelings or sparking unintended consequences when attempting to say something nice?

For instance: I know a family who's considering bankruptcy. "Merry Christmas" seems entirely the wrong thing to say, knowing that times are very hard in that house. Another family has a divorce ahead. Standard happy wishes just might not be well-received. I just don't know what to say in these cases.

In the one case, last week it would have been absolutely normal to send a "Happy Thanksgiving" message. But I knew that the offhand response could have easily been something like, "THIS is what I'm thankful for? No way!" Or worse.

I want to say something nice and happy, but I know there's very little lightheartedness for these people. What the heck do I do or say?

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think letting them know you always wish the best for them, and that your hope is the days ahead will be better for them than now might be an option. Of course that's longer than a standard two word salutation - but they have complex life situations that require more effort in your selection.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let them know that you care about them. 35 years ago I was going through a divorce during the Christmas season. I was very depressed. It didn't bother me when my friends said merry Christmas because I knew that they meant no offense nor harm. The last thing I wanted was for the people that cared about me to be walking on egg shells because of my situation.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It’s a greeting, a wish, not a command.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
"Festivus salutations!"

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
"Festivus salutations! ..."
... "What are your grievances?"

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have been through some of the misery you mention. I always appreciated someone wishing me Merry Christmas, Happy Thanksgiving, or Happy New Year. I felt that they were hoping things improved for my situation. I was never offended.

Then again, I am pretty private, and very few people knew that my marriage was ending at the time, so no one who wished me well would have assumed that things weren't otherwise ok with me. I can see how that might affect the position of the well wisher.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Perhaps say whatever wishes are heartfelt?

Whatever it is, if you say it from your heart, seems like it would be well received. Perhaps hard times are here but caring words of hope may be welcome.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
If we know someone who's in a crummy situation, how do we avoid hurting feelings or sparking unintended consequences when attempting to say something nice?

I want to say something nice and happy, but I know there's very little lightheartedness for these people. What the heck do I do or say?

You say whatever you would normally say.

There is no requirement that they feel nice or happy at your greeting and you shouldn't have an expectation that they should feel that way.

Avoiding hurting feelings, will feel like pity and is the last thing they'd want. Sparking unintended consequences assumes that you have the powder to change how others will feel...that is more than a little presumptuous

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Gee, I wasn't intending to be presumptuous; but isn't that sort of what kind words are supposed to do? Make someone feel better or bring them some happiness?

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Gee, I wasn't intending to be presumptuous; but isn't that sort of what kind words are supposed to do? Make someone feel better or bring them some happiness?

It's easy. Just send your friend a check for $2,000 in a Merry Christmas card!.....

j/k, I have appreciated just a Merry Christmas or card in times when I've been down......it's the thought that counts and sometimes just the idea that someone's thinking of you.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
"Wishing the best for you."

If you're physically near, sometimes words aren't even necessary. A look and a nod or a touch on the shoulder or arm can say a whole lot more.

Those life situations are in a different league of their own, Christmas or not. Seasonally Affected Disorder (SAD) can be remedied by gifting them a lamp with sun characteristics (no solar flares though, I forget what component is missing by staying indoors during winter). Or getting them to walk outside or even better walking with them outside in the sun.

I'm susceptible to SAD. I'd call my wife and, especially during winter, she'd say, "go out and take a walk outside the office."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amateur Astronomer
Picture of Test1968
posted Hide Post
Don't hesitate to give the traditional greetings.

We all have crap in our lives, some minor, some serious.

I've been in the serious crap for some years now, and I won't let my situation ruin a sincere holiday wish from someone.

Hopefully the recipient will accept it in the spirit it was given.

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms

Who brought the chips and dip?

Jim

Posts: 14023 | Location: limbo | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post