SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which is a 'real' Dodger ball cap?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which is a 'real' Dodger ball cap? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I don't follow MLB (I played baseball when I was younger but never followed pro sports).

I want to buy a 'real' Dodger ball cap for someone. There are too many -- obviously some are not 'real'. But I'm not sure which ones are considered 'real' that players actually wear.

Help? Are none of these really 'real?'

http://www.dickssportinggoods....maxPrice:&pageSize:&

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Go to the Dodger website and go to the official gear option.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Throughout the course of the season most teams wear many different caps.

Suggestion: send the link to the person you want to give it to and let them pick which one they think looks best!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23948 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I was wondering about the D vs LA on the cap as well. No idea the relevance of either.

I checked the site: I looked at a few models that looked 'real' but they seem to be fitted and not adjustable size. I was hoping for this to be a surprise but have no idea what size to go. So this complicates this idea.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the New Era 59/50 is still the official cap.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Thanks guys.

I was wondering about the D vs LA on the cap as well. No idea the relevance of either.

I checked the site: I looked at a few models that looked 'real' but they seem to be fitted and not adjustable size. I was hoping for this to be a surprise but have no idea what size to go. So this complicates this idea.

"Real" is going to be fitted and made of wool. Less than ideal for a summer sport. I don't watch a ton of west coast baseball, but I don't recall ever seeing the Dodgers play in a cap with a D on it.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
The official caps are fitted.

The adjustable caps are not.

P.S. Why would anybody want a Dodgers hat....

Go GIANTS Big Grin

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and made of wool.

Not any more.

This is the non-structured (low crown) version:
http://www.mlbshop.com/Los_Ang...e_59FIFTY_Fitted_Hat

From your link to Dick's, this is the real hat in structured form (high crown):
http://www.dickssportinggoods....grsrylapaxxy?&color=

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
"Real" is going to be fitted and made of wool.

Blue, with a white "B" on the front. Smile

A "D" would be the Chunichi Dragons. Wink

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
quote:
Thanks guys.

"Real" is going to be fitted and made of wool. Less than ideal for a summer sport. I don't watch a ton of west coast baseball, but I don't recall ever seeing the Dodgers play in a cap with a D on it.

"D" hat

There is no such thing as "real" in LA anyway. It's all fake, made up.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
This is what they wore back in the 50's in Brooklyn.

https://www.lids.com/brooklyn-...lean-up-cap/20720820

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
If you look at the MLB store, the "D" hat is the spring training hat, not regular season. Take your pick.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 5950 with the LA logo is what they wear on the field most games and recognized as the most "real" hat. It's fitted and comes with a flat brim that the user can roll themselves or leave as is. Any Dodger blue with the LA logo will suffice though. Perhaps a gift certificate to Dicks with note it's for a Dodgers hat is best.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FrankMoses:
I believe the New Era 59/50 is still the official cap.

This is what I would buy, were I a Dodgers fan, as I believe it is the official hat as well.

Posts: 1121 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
If you look at the MLB store, the "D" hat is the spring training hat, not regular season. Take your pick.

And the spring training hat is on sale!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23948 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Who knew hats were so complicated?

So, fitted New Era 59/50, blue with LA on the front is what players would wear.

This is for someone in Korea (apparently, one of the pitchers on the Dodgers was/is popular there). So, fitted makes this a little more complicated.

Maybe New Era has an adjustable version - less 'real' but close enough?

If these were $10 each, I'd just buy a few in the size ballpark. But these hats are pretty expensive....

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I say whatever you get they will love it.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:
...and made of wool.

Not any more.

This is the non-structured (low crown) version:
http://www.mlbshop.com/Los_Ang...e_59FIFTY_Fitted_Hat

From your link to Dick's, this is the real hat in structured form (high crown):
http://www.dickssportinggoods....grsrylapaxxy?&color=

Good to know that MLB uniform technology has moved into 1950's!

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is for someone in Korea (apparently, one of the pitchers on the Dodgers was/is popular there). So, fitted makes this a little more complicated.

If these were $10 each, I'd just buy a few in the size ballpark. But these hats are pretty expensive....

You are correct that these (what are they now $40?) hats are sized. Kinda difficult to surprise someone if you don't know their size. And all hats are not the same. I've had a size 7 1/4 feel looser than a 7 1/2.
But the damned things are well made.
I think their SnapBack hats are a good adjustable alternative

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The 3930 comes in 3 sizes with a strechy band so it has the fitted look but fits a variety of head sizes. The m/l should fit most heads.

The 940 is truly adjustable and will fit all but those with enormous domes.

Either one will suit your needs.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post