SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oklahoma House passes 'Constitutional Carry' gun bill
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oklahoma House passes 'Constitutional Carry' gun bill Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Congratulations Oklahoma. It sounds like it might go all the way through.

The Oklahoma House of Representatives on Wednesday passed what has been dubbed as the ‘Constitutional Carry’ gun bill in a 59-28 vote.

The bill would allow all law-abiding Oklahomans to carry a loaded, concealed handgun without a permit, permitting handgun owners in the state to carry their weapon in most public places. However, some areas where firearms are already prohibited by law -- such as the ones listed here -- are still exempt.

Additionally, the bill’s author, Rep. Jeff Coody, R-Okla., filed an amendment that would permit handgun owners to also carry in a wildlife refuge or management area.

Coody was not immediately available for comment when contacted by Fox News on Thursday.

Supporters of the bill, which also does away with training and background checks, argue it protects a gun owner’s right to self defense.

"Would it surprise you that the majority that have committed heinous crimes either have mental health conditions or the background checks have not been followed up? We're failing on that end. We need to concentrate on that end and not hinder our law-abiding citizens," Rep. Justin Humphrey, R-Okla., who supported the bill, said.

"There’s not mandated training, but a law-abiding citizen who avails himself of a weapon would be extremely foolish not to seek training, Coody said, according to the Tulsa World. "My position has always been that responsible citizens will get more training that (sic) required under existing law."

Another supporter and member of the Oklahoma 2nd Amendment Association said the bill allows people in the state to protect themselves and eliminates the costly permit process.

The association, which backed the bill, did not respond to Fox News' request for comment.

Opponents say the bill presents certain safety and training issues, arguing that now is not an appropriate time to expand gun rights, citing recent mass shootings, such as the one in Parkland, Fla., in February, KOCO5 reported.

One of the bill's opponents, Rep. Shane Stone, D-Okla., said that while he is a supporter of the second amendment, “we need to have reasonable restrictions,” he told Fox News on Thursday.

Many of Coody’s arguments were “inconsistent with the constitution,” he said, adding that the bill is “anti-safety and anti-law enforcement” because the bill, if signed into law, could put law enforcement officers at risk.

"It's [the bill] is too far out there," said Stone.

"I do not support the rights of law enforcement to feel not threatened or safe to the detriment of my own constitutional rights," Coody said in response to the law enforcement argument, according to KFOR.

Stone said many of his constituents agreed with his perspective, echoing similar sentiments as the bill was debated Wednesday night.

The Senate is expected to decide on the bill by next week, the representative said, adding that he thinks the chances of it passing are “pretty good.”

If passed, it will be presented to Gov. Mary Fallin for a signature. Stone said he doesn’t expect Fallin to veto the bill.

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...-carry-gun-bill.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Good job Oklahoma.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I think some of our road LEO here can attest to the fact you are to treat everyone as if they have a weapon until you yourself verify they do not. And even then still be aware you may have missed it. So what will this change in their approach?

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I hope so.

I just paid $170.00 to the State of Oklahoma to RENEW my permit. I also had to pay around $16.00 for 2 more recent passport photos to send in with the renewal. It’s been right at 2 months now and I’m still waiting to see it arrive in the mail. When I checked with the OSBI they told me my renewal app was still in the background check stage. BTW they law is that the OSBI can not take any longer than 90 days.

This is a great State with great carry laws, etc, but the permit proces is expensive and time consuming. I really can’t complain too much.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I hope so.

I just paid $170.00 to the State of Oklahoma to RENEW my permit. I also had to pay around $16.00 for 2 more recent passport photos to send in with the renewal. It’s been right at 2 months now and I’m still waiting to see it arrive in the mail. When I checked with the OSBI they told me my renewal app was still in the background check stage. BTW they law is that the OSBI can not take any longer than 90 days.

This is a great State with great carry laws, etc, but the permit proces is expensive and time consuming. I really can’t complain too much.

Yowser, ouch! I just paid apx $22 for a 5 year renewal, and had it in hand in 9 days. Hopefully, your state will go constitutional carry, and I'll get to envy you! Smile

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Great job.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
quote:
I hope so.

Yowser, ouch! I just paid apx $22 for a 5 year renewal, and had it in hand in 9 days. Hopefully, your state will go constitutional carry, and I'll get to envy you! Smile

Yowser is right. I just renewed my Utah license online two days ago for $15.75 (online has a $.75 convenience fee; the normal price is $15 for a five year renewal). I expect to have it in 5 to 6 days.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good job, Oklahoma. If I lived there, I'd still get a license because of reciprocity with other states. Does the OK CCW allow one to skip NICS check?

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
excellent

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hile:
Good job, Oklahoma. If I lived there, I'd still get a license because of reciprocity with other states. Does the OK CCW allow one to skip NICS check?

We do not get to skip NICS check unfortunately. I miss that from living in Texas. I haven't thought about the out of state bit that is a good point, I am frequently in TX, NM and CO and my current license covers me.

This whole bill snuck up on me, I did not know it was being proposed until 2 days ago.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope so.

My first permit after moving here arrived 77 days after I left the OCSO.

I still plan to renew 6-8 months from when I expire though. I travel to Kansas twice a month, and half a dozen other states each year. It’s a must have for me.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
quote:
Originally posted by hile:

We do not get to skip NICS check unfortunately. I miss that from living in Texas...

Time to move south of the Red River again.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
So, did some say the Red River will be all the blood flowing from massive outbreaks of shootings? Roll Eyes

GJ, Okies!

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
This should help us keep those pesky rascals south of the boarder on their side.

I'm talking about the State border.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hold off on the champagne for now. This didn't have much attention until it passed yesterday. Now, it's a nationwide story. The antis will come heavy. We need to mount a full-on assault (metaphorically speaking) on the Senate switchboard.

I believe this is doable, but now is the time to push HARD.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
I mean the bad guys are going to be carrying guns without a permit so why shouldn't we?

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Congrats Oklahoma- we’ve had Constitutional carry for nearly two years in WV and shockingly, no blood running in the streets.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
A similar bill for Constitutional Carry had died last year due to stall tactics and was never voted on. By the diligent efforts of OK2A and Rep. Coody they were able to "slip" it in as an amendment on another bill. It goes back to the Senate now, and hopefully the sudden media attention won't sway the Senate to vote it down. Let your Senators hear from you!

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it curious that the Oklahoma Rifle Association (local NRA affiliate) is working against this bill.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herknav:
I find it curious that the Oklahoma Rifle Association (local NRA affiliate) is working against this bill.

Curious, indeed. Or maybe not....

https://www.facebook.com/perma...6&id=615390458535367

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post