SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's your favorite instant ramen soup?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite instant ramen soup? Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I just buy whatever looks like it's on sale at the Asian market. I also add bok choy and sliced up hot dogs to my ramen. And on the rare occasion there is rice leftover, I will toss it in.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

That Tonkotsu Ramen Concentrated Pork Bone Soup https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K69ZK46 along with some nice noodles like Hime Japanese Dried Ramen Ramyun https://www.amazon.com/Hime-Ja...odles/dp/B071Z6YX2M/ or Hakubaku Organic Ramen looks very appealing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WQCENQ

Let us know how it goes. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This + the spicy lettuce wrap dipping sauce from P.F. Changs poured over the noodles = ramen noodle perfection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss my ramen,
I am on a low sodium diet and 1,850 is way too much salt .
I tried buying Low Sod broth and using the noodles only , but that got to be a hassle.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
I’ll use any of the various flavors, depending upon what I’m making, of the regular Ramen noodle packets as an extender for adding to my soup or chili meals.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Let us know how it goes. Smile

Getting ready to pull the trigger. Looks like the Hakubaku noodles will be the ones ordered with the Tonkotsu broth. The later may take several weeks to be delivered as it ships from Japan.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
You know, you may be able to make a decent broth yourself. Tasty and healthy.

Start with ox tails (many supermarkets carry them). Or maybe even chicken bones after you carve off the meat off a couple of roasted chickens.

Simmer them for a day with various things like salt, pepper, garlic, onion or whatever suites your taste. This usually freezes well so you can use it when time is short - doesn't take much longer than boiling water to make instant ramen. Just freeze in bowl sized amounts.

Just add some sesame oil / seeds and green onions and gtg. Yea, this is more of a Korean style broth but still pretty hearty and tasty and goes well with noodles.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Tom Yum flavor by MAMA.

Intensely flavored. Sour and spicy. It's like mainlining MSG.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I will take the regular ramen packs and add soy sauce, lime juice and chili paste to it.
Then shred up cabbage and thin sliced onions and toss in it.

Take Raman chicken flavored or the Yakisoba chicken flavored and add about 2 ounces of very thinly sliced steak, 2 very thinly sliced mushrooms and 2 tablespoons or those frenchs onions (the ones you usually put on green been casserole) and stir the stuff around in the Raman for about 3 minutes......and eat it......talk about REALLY good.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know, you may be able to make a decent broth yourself. Tasty and healthy.

Start with ox tails (many supermarkets carry them). Or maybe even chicken bones after you carve off the meat off a couple of roasted chickens.

Simmer them for a day with various things like salt, pepper, garlic, onion or whatever suites your taste. This usually freezes well so you can use it when time is short - doesn't take much longer than boiling water to make instant ramen. Just freeze in bowl sized amounts.

Just add some sesame oil / seeds and green onions and gtg. Yea, this is more of a Korean style broth but still pretty hearty and tasty and goes well with noodles.

Appreciate the suggestion but at this stage of my retired life about the only homemade soups I'll make are navy bean and much less frequently split pea or lentil. Honestly I've gone to Bear Creek Country mixes for other varieties. With Japanese Tonkotsu, Vietnamese Pho, and Korean Noodle broths I would definitely much prefer getting help from packages. Its just how it is for this old man! Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thinking about this more:

Ramen is popular but actually is based on Chinese soup noodles of which there are many.

One in particular that is sufficiently popular to have an annual contest among restaurants in Taipei (think annual rib or chili cookoffs here) is Beef Noodle Soup (kind of a literal translation).

This is something that turns out great in a pressure cooker with short ribs (bone in okay; the bones come off easily after cooking). But simmering works as well.

There various recipes that can be found on the webz. The key ingredient which may or may not be readily available for you is the spice pack for which I can probably send you some if you want to try.

The spice pack (which includes things like star anise) may be a somewhat acquired taste. But it's one of my favorite soup noodle dishes when done well. And again, freezes nicely.

Oh, they even have a wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_noodle_soup

ETA: just saw your latest post. So, never mind Smile But this is easy - just dump ingredients into a pressure cooker for 30 minutes.....

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

The key ingredient which may or may not be readily available for you is the spice pack for which I can probably send you some if you want to try.

ETA: just saw your latest post. So, never mind Smile But this is easy - just dump ingredients into a pressure cooker for 30 minutes.....

I very much appreciate the offer and your helpful posts here. As an aside we don't own a pressure cooker. Have a crock pot that hasn't been used in years. Favor a dutch oven in more recent times. LOL But yeah, not given to DIY these days as much as when younger and more adventurous.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
The instant Pho and clear noodles, made from mung bean. I get them from the local Asian markets

ETA: sorry not ramen

Link please?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
This one is my favorite.

This has become my favorite as well. The only difference is that I prefer the chicken over the shrimp. I recently bought a case of them at .87 ea. Cheap and easy lunch.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
We don't eat ramen that often anymore, and we usually buy the noodles from the refrigerated section of a local Asian store and make it from scratch. The Costco here has a couple of decent types of ramen in the frozen section as well. One is a Japanese style shoyu ramen and the other is a Chinese style ramen with wontons.

Our favorite instant ramen is Sapporo Ichiban Miso Ramen which we get from Amazon from time to time.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
We put the brakes on ordering that concentrated Tonkotsu from Japan on Amazon because of what we found at a local store this morning. Separated from the "regular" instant ramen/noodle stuff somewhat hidden over in the oriental food section were NongShin Black @ $1.25 vs Amazon @ $1.76, Sapporo Ichiban Chow Mein & Original ramen @ $0.55 and 0.56 respectively vs $1.06 & 0.92 at Amazon.

Figured we'd try these first before doing anything else. As an aside we did try that Nissin Hot & Spicy shrimp...deemed it to taste unremarkable so we won't buy that again.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Nongshin is okay. The flavor isn't bad. The noodles have a different texture than most Japanese noodles -- tend to be a little more chewy. I buy it for a quick meal.

I think it's fine and reasonably priced for use in a pinch. I think even Costco carries it (big box full).

This is a little more pricey, somewhat readily available locally and not bad: https://www.amazon.com/Nissin-...keywords=nissin+raoh

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
No Costco within 6 to 8 hour drive Frown

BTW we also picked up two 6 ounce packs of Orchid's Chuka Soba which the packaging says can be used for ramen noodle soup, pan fried yakisoba, or chilled hiyashi soba. It was the only brand in stock. No clue about whether its any good or not.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I love noodles and will eat almost any of them Smile

I've never tried the Orchid Chucka Soba but seems like it's generally intended for a dish called hiyashi chuka which is kind of a Japanese take on Chinese cold noodles. It's a kind of chirashi type dish -- a mixture of ingredients with cold noodles. It's common / great on a hot humid summer day.

No reason you couldn't use it however you want Smile

Along those lines, you might want to consider something like this if you can find it locally. I use something like this (but different brand - buy in Japan when we visit).

https://www.amazon.com/Hime-Ja...RBZZZ2JX2KQAXAD1W1M9

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Taiwanese ones with the meat/soup packet, and a few other packets are the BEST!

https://www.airfrov.com/blog/6...les-you-have-to-try/

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post