SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's your favorite instant ramen soup?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite instant ramen soup? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
With winter approaching, many of us in snow country like soup to warm us up. And when time is of the essence, instant ramen is a suitable option for many.

So the question here is what are your favorites?

Recently I started looking at alternatives to the standard supermarket fare (e.g. Maruchan, Nissin, etc.). NongShim Shin Black and Sapporo Ichiban Original flavor seem to garner praise but I haven't tried either as i haven't seen them available locally.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
The instant Pho and clear noodles, made from mung bean. I get them from the local Asian markets

ETA: sorry not ramen

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
With winter approaching, many of us in snow country like soup to warm us up. And when time is of the essence, instant ramen is a suitable option for many.

So the question here is what are your favorites?

Recently I started looking at alternatives to the standard supermarket fare (e.g. Maruchan, Nissin, etc.). NongShim Shin Black and Sapporo Ichiban Original flavor seem to garner praise but I haven't tried either as i haven't seen them available locally.

Amazon..... Smile

I prefer various made in Japan tonkotsu or shoyu (soy sauce) flavored ramen. Second will be Korean made like Nongshim. I prefer to avoid Taiwan and especially made in China.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
BigSwede,
Pho is certainly a good option too. We have a couple of eateries that serve it but that's not an at home option. What brand instant do you get at your local Asian market?

konata88,
Are there any Japanese tonkotsu or shoyu on Amazon you'd recommend? I do see Hakata Tonkotsu Ramen Soup "Jyun-Jyo" base and Hakubaku ramen noodles.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Haven’t touched Ramen Noodles since college.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Haven’t touched Ramen Noodles since college.

Then why are you posting in my thread?

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
This one is my favorite.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
BigSwede,
Pho is certainly a good option too. We have a couple of eateries that serve it but that's not an at home option. What brand instant do you get at your local Asian market?

konata88,
Are there any Japanese tonkotsu or shoyu on Amazon you'd recommend? I do see Hakata Tonkotsu Ramen Soup "Jyun-Jyo" base and Hakubaku ramen noodles.

MAMA clear noodles. MAMA PHO clear soup. VIFON Pho Bo

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
This one is my favorite.

Good to know. Smile We picked up a pair of those along with Maruchin Taste of Asia at the Commissary earlier this week but haven't tasted them yet.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I will take the regular ramen packs and add soy sauce, lime juice and chili paste to it.
Then shred up cabbage and thin sliced onions and toss in it.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will occasionally get Maruchan Ramen, but I can only tolerate the Oriental flavor. Even then, I only use about 1/2 the pack. Sometimes I'll get a bag of frozen soup veggies and add that in there.

I like Maruchan Yakisoba, though it has been a while since I've had it. I recall liking their cheesy flavor...kind of like mac-and-cheese.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I will take the regular ramen packs and add soy sauce, lime juice and chili paste to it.
Then shred up cabbage and thin sliced onions and toss in it.

That sounds good!

JP

Posts: 2041 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
Maruchan is what I buy, but only because that's the only thing available locally. It makes a great suitcase food, and I'll usually take a supply of original beef, picante chicken, and chili flavored noodle packs with me.

These things cook up great in the electric boil kettles you can get at most hotels, and combined with some tobasco, it makes a delicious, fast meal.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I quit eating these years ago; way too much salt.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
I quit eating these years ago; way too much salt.

Again, then why are you posting to this thread? We are all adults who can read ingredient lists and are aware of the high sodium content. That doesn't negate my opening query about personal favorites.

Granted my two rebukes thus far in this thread probably come across as a bit testy, but folks who post non contributory comments relative to the any OP's opening query simply baffle me. Again why post?

USN (RET), COTEP #192

ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
The Korean variety are good. They are not always ramen but instant noodles. Paldo makes a jjajangmen(black bean noodles) that are good. Get the vegetarian version. Their gomtang(gold package)is a white ramen and pretty delicious.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys need to branch out more for your ramen...some suggestions I've seen here are on the level of Top Ramen (which I used to live on in college)

quote:
on Amazon

While I wouldn't pay the price they ask for on Amazon, these two aren't bad at all:

Myojo Chukazanmai - my personal favorite, but it only comes in 4 flavors (4 min cook time)
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=U...f=pd_sl_1j7a5lchz0_e

Sautao - larger varity of flavors and noodle widths (2 min cook time)
https://www.amazon.com/Sautao-...KXW6HMNAH5V5J38MP0EJ

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Keep the recommendations coming! Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
I will share my recipe for White Trash Ramen:
1- Prepare 2 packages your favorite brand of Ramen as per the package instructions. Drain off water after you mix in the flavor packet.
2- If your Ramen is chicken flavor, heat 1 can of Chicken Noodle soup. If beef flavor Ramen is used, heat a can of Vegetable Beef soup. I do not add water to the soup, since it tend make things a little to watery.
3- Mix the Ramen and the soup together.
Enjoy!
If you want to Deluxe it, use Campbells Chunky Soups!
Great for use in a thermos on a cold day.
Warning: Sodium Alert!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow...you guys really need to expand your ramen pallet.

Best instant ramen I've come across is out of South Asia, specifically Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. My favorite is Laksa La Mian from Prima Taste. This is premium stuff and it's worth it, most Asian markets won't carry it given it's price tag; buying the multi-packs is always the better option. The noodles actually have a chew that ramen aficionados can appreciate. The broth is fantastically tasty, and smooth...like Laksa. It'll smell awful when you're making it but, the taste, ohhh the taste. Add frozen shrimp and some bok choy to round it out during cooking and you've got a tasty meal.

If you like some next level spice, try this. It's just beyond my spice threshold and it'll make your kitchen smell like hell but, it's damn good.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post