SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's your favorite instant ramen soup?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite instant ramen soup? Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
i like the Creamy Chicken. Or a good instant miso soup every now and again if I'm not feeling the noodles.

My wife likes the regular beef ramen best. My kids only want the original chicken and nothing else. so those two are usually what we get instead.

guess compared to some of ya'll, our ramen-eating is fairly plain! some of these ideas are sounding pretty good!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I like Okinawa Soba ramen soup. The noodles are a little wider and the soup base is fish flavored. Not easy to find locally.

https://www.amazon.com/Myojo-O...-Count/dp/B004S04X5G

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can honestly say I have never partaken of ramen noddles. Never had spam either

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I will take the regular ramen packs and add soy sauce, lime juice and chili paste to it.
Then shred up cabbage and thin sliced onions and toss in it.

I see I'm not the only one who embellish their stock ramen with veggies...I often add fresh mushrooms, onions and sometimes bean sprouts among others. I like the old fashioned run of the mill chicken flavored ramen packs you buy for .15 to .20 each.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phil in indy:
I can honestly say I have never partaken of ramen noddles. Never had spam either

Groan Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I think I will try diced up spam in some beef flavored ramen (next time I cook spam-n-eggs)...it actually sounds palatable Smile

Not to hi-jack the thread...but I have often sprinkled the chicken flavored powder seasoning from a pack of ramen noodles on a bag of microwave popcorn...pretty tasty IMHO Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Try the anchovies pork ball with grated lefse. It's to die for. The Canadians love that stuff. Big Grin

Seriously, I've tried many varieties and always come back to regular ramen with the plain old Beef Flavor Pack.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Of the regular instant kind, I prefer Nissin brand for general consumption.

If I want to eat ramen as a meal not not as some sort of "lack of planning/caring/whatever," but actually sit down with some chop sticks and a bowl and have some spicy noddles, it's NongShim Shin Ramyun. It's got thicker noodles, more of them, and it's spicy with bits of dehydrated vegetables and mushrooms in the seasoning packet. They make a Shin Black that's spicier, but I haven't gotten around to ordering some yet. The Korean family that owns the corner store near work stocks plenty of this variety in both the packet and bowl type, and they're good people so I don't mind forking out the gas station prices occasionally for some noodles, but I would imagine a case online is super cheap.

There was a Viet or Cambodian brand I got a few years ago at an Asian supermarket that was amazing. Couldn't tell you the brand because there was not one word of English on the package, but it was a gold label Mylar package with super thin noodles, two seasoning packets and a little plastic tube of oil, which you squeezed in at the end. Nothing has ever been as good, before or since.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
Years ago I was really into rock climbing, but too poor to buy the fancy foods like cliff bars and whatnot to take along. I learned a trick from my climbing partner that was rather unique...

He would take a ramen brick, snap it in half, and spread mayonnaise on the two halves and eat it like a sandwich. While I adopted the raw ramen part, mayonnaise just seemed weird, but I did like it with either old bay sprinkled on top or smeared with peanut butter. Give it a try!

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Ilike the Indomie Mi Goreng which I can get on Amazon. I'll drop an egg into it to poach at the same time. Often I'll add a handful of frozen peas when I put the water on to boil, and may add some slivered sauted meat as well.
this brand has flavor packets that are actual liquids, sweet soy, chili oil, etc, and actual dehydrated shallots and such. Very tasty.

When I do have to resort to the basement brands, I throw away the "salt packet" and use my oil flavorings.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
I saw this tonight on Bens Bargains: Myojo Ippeichan Yakisoba Japanese Style Instant Noodles
For those of you who know, is this any good?

JP

Posts: 2041 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
From Costco, "Nongshim Gourmet Noodles, Spicy Shin Ramyun, 4.2 oz, 16 pack". I moderate the amount of the flavor pack I use, add use all of the little dried vegetable packet. A twist I like is to put a dollop of crunchy peanut butter in the bottom of the bowl, and a good squeeze of sriracha to make a sort of sesame noodle flavor to the dish, leaving out most of the soup itself. Heretical I know, but worth a try as a change of pace.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
Years ago I was really into rock climbing, but too poor to buy the fancy foods like cliff bars and whatnot to take along. I learned a trick from my climbing partner that was rather unique...

He would take a ramen brick, snap it in half, and spread mayonnaise on the two halves and eat it like a sandwich. While I adopted the raw ramen part, mayonnaise just seemed weird, but I did like it with either old bay sprinkled on top or smeared with peanut butter. Give it a try!

I'll take your word for it... although I do know people that eat uncooked ramen. One likes a brand from Taiwan. It has a wizard and stars on the package. I tried it cooked and it was okay.

Usually I chuck the flavor packet or use just half. Poaching an egg with the noodles was a common prepration when I was in college. As mentioned above, a good soup recipe is to heat chicken broth/miso with mushrooms, scallions, diced onion, cilantro, burdock root, and ginger; salmon too. Prep the noodles seperately and add at the end. That'll warm you up on cold day!

Corsair mentioned Lakhsa Mian above. The Ramen Rater gave it the #1 world rating. The noodles and flavor packet are a good base to make your own Lakhsa Coconut soup. Use coconut milk, not water, and fresh ingredients-especially toasted macademia nuts- to make the full scale soup. If you think the ramen packet is good then you will blow your mind with the real deal!

https://www.theramenrater.com

https://www.malaysianchineseki...rry-laksa-curry-mee/

FWIW, I was going to make Liang Mien with Maruchan ramen noodles for dinner, but used chow mein noodles instead. If interested,

http://chelseyschinacookingcha...ame-noodles.html?m=1

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Off Prime, there seem to be at least a few interesting offerings but I've never tried them before.

But they seem to be from Kyushu and in particular the Hakata region (which is the go to place in Japan for Tonkotsu). There are actually different ways to make the tonkotsu broth (some of which I don't care for) but they all have a basis in pork bones.

I don't usually buy packaged anymore as I tend to make my own broth / soup and then just cook ramen noodles (not the instant kind, but rather just like how you'd buy spaghetti or soba or udon noodles)

1) Nissin Raoh: I've had this before. This isn't bad; nothing to write home about but it's decent in a pinch. Cost is about the same as in stores (I'd buy it on Prime for the convenience). https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

2) This sounds interesting but it's just the broth; you need to buy noodles separately. But the broth is what ramen is all about anyway.... If this is really based from Hakata, then I'd probably give it a shot. In fact, I may just order some. https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...A1JRKRN6B6ZFFJ&psc=1

3) This sounds interesting as well; from Kumamoto on Kyuushu. A little removed from the Hakata region but probably still good. I'd probably buy and try if I were looking for ramen. https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...A102LSINP0J0MH&psc=1

I'd probably try one of these first. But again, I don't really buy this stuff much anymore. I make my own broth using konbu (seaweed), katsuobushi (bonito flakes), iriko (anchovy).

If you have access, the ramen in the refrigerated section in grocery stores is generally better than the dried instant noodle versions.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Not a particular Ramen, but I like to fry it up for a change of pace. Take 2 or more packs and boil and cook normally. Drain well when done and then dump contents into a hot pan with a bit of oil. Let it sit in pan long enough for the bottom layer to get good and crunchy. Throw in veggies, meats, chili paste, spices, whatever. Break up the bottom by folding it over a few times and chopping with a spatula, then stir it around for a few more minutes. Serve!

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
If you have access, the ramen in the refrigerated section in grocery stores is generally better than the dried instant noodle versions.

Sun Noodle, noodle makers to some of the best ramen shops, puts out a relatively instant ramen kit. Found in the refrigerated sections, the soup base is in a viscous paste form and not powdered; the noodles aren't dried.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
I saw this tonight on Bens Bargains: Myojo Ippeichan Yakisoba Japanese Style Instant Noodles
For those of you who know, is this any good?

JP

I didn’t look closely but I wouldn’t buy it. Smile

First, it’s yakisoba, not ramen. It’s meant to be like chow mein or fried noodles, not soup noodles.

I do like yakisoba but....

Second, the package mentions something about mustard (or spicy) mayo as a flavoring. Yea, I’d pass.

Yakisoba - really should start with fresh noodles.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

Sun Noodle, noodle makers to some of the best ramen shops, puts out a relatively instant ramen kit. Found in the refrigerated sections, the soup base is in a viscous paste form and not powdered; the noodles aren't dried.

Sadly the closest retailer of Sun Noodles is over 500 miles away from me. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

2) This sounds interesting but it's just the broth; you need to buy noodles separately. But the broth is what ramen is all about anyway.... If this is really based from Hakata, then I'd probably give it a shot. In fact, I may just order some.

That Tonkotsu Ramen Concentrated Pork Bone Soup https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K69ZK46 along with some nice noodles like Hime Japanese Dried Ramen Ramyun https://www.amazon.com/Hime-Ja...odles/dp/B071Z6YX2M/ or Hakubaku Organic Ramen looks very appealing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WQCENQ

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NMPinNYC:
From Costco, "Nongshim Gourmet Noodles, Spicy Shin Ramyun, 4.2 oz, 16 pack". I moderate the amount of the flavor pack I use, add use all of the little dried vegetable packet. A twist I like is to put a dollop of crunchy peanut butter in the bottom of the bowl, and a good squeeze of sriracha to make a sort of sesame noodle flavor to the dish, leaving out most of the soup itself. Heretical I know, but worth a try as a change of pace.

Not strange at all. i use peanut butter, sesame oil, and Korean Gochujang.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post