SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's your favorite instant ramen soup?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
What's your favorite instant ramen soup? Login/Join 
Member
Picture of Gong Show
posted Hide Post
Ramyeon is a staple of my diet. I always have Paldo spicy seafood flavor and Paldo Gomtang, at minimum, in my cupboard at home and at work. Any other varieties are chosen by whatever appeals to me the moment I'm at the Korean grocery store.

I never eat just what's in the package. Instead, I add bulgogi meat or frozen mixed seafood, whatever banchan is left in the fridge, more gochugaru and garlic, a dash of sesame oil, and a soft cooked egg. Prepared in a ttuk bae gi, it stays warm for an hour while I eat it.

Super awesome because I'm now always cold.


------
Weird is a side effect of awesome.
 
Posts: 64 | Location: The Armpit of the Frozen North, USA | Registered: January 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Had a sudden craving. Not sure why. Smile








"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B.Franklin
"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
 
Posts: 6767 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gong Show:
Ramyeon is a staple of my diet. I always have Paldo spicy seafood flavor and Paldo Gomtang, at minimum, in my cupboard at home and at work. Any other varieties are chosen by whatever appeals to me the moment I'm at the Korean grocery store.

I never eat just what's in the package. Instead, I add bulgogi meat or frozen mixed seafood, whatever banchan is left in the fridge, more gochugaru and garlic, a dash of sesame oil, and a soft cooked egg. Prepared in a ttuk bae gi, it stays warm for an hour while I eat it.

Super awesome because I'm now always cold.


Sounds like you might have a recommendation for jajangmyeon (Korean style, not Chinese style). Usually make from scratch but sometimes I just want it quick.

Recommendations for in Korean/Asian market?




"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B.Franklin
"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
 
Posts: 6767 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
My cheat method for good broth - use whatever flavor packs come with the ramen and add a teaspoon of miso paste. Miso gives it more flavor depth for the cheaper ramen packages.
 
Posts: 510 | Location: New York | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
.....I've never actually ever eaten any ramen as far as I can tell....


**************~~~~~~~~~~
“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.” Thomas Sowell


COTEP # 362
 
Posts: 7386 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Gong Show
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Originally posted by Gong Show:
Ramyeon is a staple of my diet. I always have Paldo spicy seafood flavor and Paldo Gomtang, at minimum, in my cupboard at home and at work. Any other varieties are chosen by whatever appeals to me the moment I'm at the Korean grocery store.

I never eat just what's in the package. Instead, I add bulgogi meat or frozen mixed seafood, whatever banchan is left in the fridge, more gochugaru and garlic, a dash of sesame oil, and a soft cooked egg. Prepared in a ttuk bae gi, it stays warm for an hour while I eat it.

Super awesome because I'm now always cold.


Sounds like you might have a recommendation for jajangmyeon (Korean style, not Chinese style). Usually make from scratch but sometimes I just want it quick.

Recommendations for in Korean/Asian market?


Honestly (embarrassingly?), I don't have any recommendations. I'm kind of fussy when it comes to Korean food. Nothing "quick" winds up tasting right. I tried some packaged budae jjiggae once. Took one bite, hated it, and then pulled everything out to make it from scratch...like I should have done from the start.


------
Weird is a side effect of awesome.
 
Posts: 64 | Location: The Armpit of the Frozen North, USA | Registered: January 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
No problem. It’s the answer I was expecting. I’d like a good instant. But can’t see how they would get taste and texture right using powder.

Search continues.




"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B.Franklin
"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
 
Posts: 6767 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
No problem. It’s the answer I was expecting. I’d like a good instant. But can’t see how they would get taste and texture right using powder.

Search continues.


There is one I like the H Mart in Atlanta. I'll post it up when I get home.


SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"
 
Posts: 4972 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
If you don't have access to an Asian grocery and you do feel like being surprised, you might consider a subscription box as a way to try a variety of items.
This one in the link is Ramen and other instant meals, but you can choose different combinations of the type of product you want. We did one that was a mix of Ramen, snacks, candy, tea, etc.

https://snackfever.com/doshira...de&mc_eid=e986d63a67

Here's a different one that seems to be just noodles.

http://www.exoticnoods.com/




SIGforum's triple minority


"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven
 
Posts: 16651 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
How's the ramen search going?

Many of the ones you can find in a grocery store are probably good enough.

However, I tried this one recently (from a local Japanese grocery store). It's pretty good! Very quick - the noodles are done in 1 minute or so. 1 bag is enough for two servings. Shown is just one of two servings.

I embellished it a little with some leftover pork and green onions. (needed some protein).







"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B.Franklin
"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
 
Posts: 6767 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
konata88,
Honestly we haven't been all that impressed with those we've sampled thusfar. The NongShin Black wasn't much of a step up from the Nissan Hot & Spicy. Was rather disappointed given all the positive reviews online. Have yet to try Sapporo Ichiban Chow Mein & Original Ramen packets.



Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
COTEP #192
 
Posts: 7758 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I hear ya. The Nongshin is a distant second to the ones I usually like / buy. It'll do in a pinch but I keep in mind that it's only about $0.25-$0.50 per bag on sale (at the local Korean market). And I really do prefer by far the Japanese style over the Korean style.

The one pictured above was $4-5 (? ballpark, I can't remember exactly right now). So about $2 per serving. Much better noodles and broth. But it's pretty pricey for 'instant' noodles.

On one hand, what do you expect for a buck? Smile On other hand, for an extra buck or two, you can take a considerable step up. But still not as good a $10 made from scratch noodles and broth with chashu from a small ramen-ya in Hakata. But good enough. The hard part may be finding it.




"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B.Franklin
"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
 
Posts: 6767 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Neoguri Spicy Seafood. Personal favorite.

Mix up 2 or so eggs and add these before noodles. I usually throw in a little frozen broccoli as well.

And make sure you boil the water with the seasoning in it. Makes a difference.

Now here's where it gets weird: While it's cooling in the pot (I usually do 5 or so minutes), I put thin Munster cheese slices on top. It's odd sounding, but I really dig it.

Good luck on your search!
 
Posts: 784 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's your favorite instant ramen soup?

© SIGforum 2017