SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Great Apps for the iPhone X
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great Apps for the iPhone X Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted
I didn't want to derail the other iPhone thread but did see a few others that have a new iPhone X. I've already installed several good apps on the phone but one of my favorites that can be used with the iPhone X and others is the Halide Photo app. It will allow you the capability to shoot RAW files for work in post production if you're into that or, one of the coolest features with this app is using the depth feature to create images that can be enhanced using it. Heres a video about shooting with the depth feature..

Anybody else have a great app you're using?

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
That looks like a great app! I'm going to have to give it a try. While not a photo or camera app, I've used GoodReader for years and it's an excellent product. Other than opening various types of files, it also allows wireless transfer of files between iOS and OS X/MacOS devices. It's really not optimized for the iPhone X yet, but it's a great app for my uses.

I've really been enjoying my iPhone X. I've found the photo quality to be really nice, especially in low light situations. I never believed a phone based camera could compete with a DSLR, but the camera on my iPhone X has me second guessing that mindset.

Only thing that I found to be a little buggy was the new "Files" app. Sometimes it glitches out and doesn't show files until the phone is rebooted. It's a known issue with that app.

Other than that, I'm very pleased. It was a HUGE upgrade for me as my last one was an iPhone 4, which is still working fine but the X really made me want to upgrade.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Belgian Blue, I don't know if you're going to purchase the Halide app, but if you do shoot RAW files with your dslr or the iPhone in the future, another great app for any post processing RAW files is Affinity Photo, an excellent program I might add. In the past shooting with my old dslr I used Canon's DPP for RAW conversion and any final tweaks in Adobe Elements before web use. These days with Lightroom charging monthly fees and other expensive programs I found Affinity Photo. It was designed to be user friendly with Apple stuff. Though as you can imagine, there is a small learning curve but many, many online videos to help you. A very experienced user would adapt quickly though. I'm very impressed and getting more familiar by the day.

I really haven't ventured too much into the Files app, there's more than enough to keep me busy with all the other features of the X. In my search, it really came down to the Pixel 2 and the iPhone X because I just wanted more from the camera quality. I chose the X mainly to keep in sync with my MacBook and the continued wireless transfer of photos from the phone to the Photo's app on the laptop, a seamless transition. Cost of the iPhone was a little difficult to digest at first but soon forgotten after using the X for a bit..Enjoy yours, it's a great smartphone.

Additionally, if you do snap off some nice or interesting images with your X and don't mind posting a few now and then, there's a thread in the Gallery with a lot of great smartphone images from many members. Sadly, the thread was plagued with naked photo's from the Photobucket snafu.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I just installed the Halide app. It's very nice. I can't wait to get some better weather and take some photos with it. As far as post production, I've been using Pixelmator which gets great reviews. I believe they came out with a pro version as well. It's very good, but pretty different from Photoshop, which I'm most used to. Also I sometimes use GIMP which is open source. I still miss Photoshop, but I really hate the subscription model so many software companies are going with these days.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Belgian Blue, I've been playing around and watching videos of the app lately myself. It's got so many interesting features. I was feeling my way around with the depth mode and watched another video that showcased the "focus peeking" mode for highlighting the areas you want in focus, very cool. I took some sample images using the app of a free sample can of Starbucks Refreshers from Walmart and erased it because it just didn't seem to sharply focus on the writing on the can until I realized, it was sharp as a tack but, the print on the can wasn't too sharp when it was printed. So, the focus peeking works as described, though you can use the auto or manual focus if you wish. I just posted a video in the Smartphone thread in the Gallery featuring the adjustments and focus peeking if you're interested. Enjoy your new phone and the Halide app. I look forward to some images whenever you get a chance to snap off some. You will notice that with the iPhone X the highlighted ares using the focus peeking will be green not red as in the video, or at least mine does, just something different I noticed using it.

Regards, Will G.

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
We had some decent weather today and I was able to take a few snapshots with Halide. It's certainly got a lot of capability and will take some practice. I found out pretty quickly that Apple's default 'Photos' browser doesn't indicate or recognize RAW photos, so I was probably looking at the JPG that it takes along with the RAW. Then I downloaded Darkroom and VSCO. I tried a couple of the Adobe apps, Photoshop Fix and Mix, but they both required a sign-up with Adobe or Facebook / Google, and I didn't want to mess with that. Lightroom looks very good so does VSCO. I will try Affinity next.

I need to look into it more, but it looks like Pixlemator on my Mac may not recognize the RAW image either. I really need to find out how to make sure the image I transfer to my Mac is the RAW photo and not the JPG.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
We had some decent weather today and I was able to take a few snapshots with Halide. It's certainly got a lot of capability and will take some practice. I found out pretty quickly that Apple's default 'Photos' browser doesn't indicate or recognize RAW photos, so I was probably looking at the JPG that it takes along with the RAW. Then I downloaded Darkroom and VSCO. I tried a couple of the Adobe apps, Photoshop Fix and Mix, but they both required a sign-up with Adobe or Facebook / Google, and I didn't want to mess with that. Lightroom looks very good so does VSCO. I will try Affinity next.

I need to look into it more, but it looks like Pixlemator on my Mac may not recognize the RAW image either. I really need to find out how to make sure the image I transfer to my Mac is the RAW photo and not the JPG.

Affinity Photo is an awesome editing program, there is however a one-time fee to purchase but no monthly charges. I've spent a good bit of time exploring the program and have so much more to learn. I've buried myself in online videos and also purchased the 488pg book for just a quick reference guide. It was basically built around using the Mac and works very well with my MacBook pro. There are tons of tutorial videos on the net, here is a starting point if you're interested..you can click under the first top video where is indicates "All Videos" and sit down and grab a coffee or drink!

Affinity Photo video tutorials

Regards, Will G.