SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motorcycle Spline Lube
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycle Spline Lube Login/Join 
posted
What do you trust to lubricate the spline drive when doing a tire change?

Honda says to use Moly 60 which is NLA.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I have always used the Honda Moly paste on my VTX (as well as barrel nuts on AR15 builds)...from what I understand this is the same thing as the the cardboard tube...just in a squeeze tube...you might ask a dealer...

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-H...-PASTE/dp/B0083BWUYW

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The questions and answers section on the referenced link suggest it would work well. One question asked if it was the same as Moly 60 and the fellow said it was. Another fellow said they used it on BMW splines.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
The Homda stuff is used across a wide spectrum of bikes. I have used it on my 70k mile Tenere as has my buddy on his.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I question the M77, as I've read where the Moly content is less and the temp rating is lower?

Per link:
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/show...MOLY-60-DISCONTINUED

Anyone used the product suggested in the above thread?
Loctite 51048, Anti Seize Compound, Moly Paste, 8-Oz. Can, Model: 51048 SKU: 283164

I have some Citgo Lithoplex Grease, which contains molybdenum disulfide. Recommended for heavy duty, high pressure, shock loading, high temperature and wet conditions. Used for u-joints, ball & roller bearings, plain bearings, wheel bearings, etc.

I'll see what the dealer says when I pick up the tire, just wanted to get some recommendations here too.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The Honda lube was the #1 choice of the BMW airhead crowd. If it's NLA then they are SOL. It also means they have probably found an alternative product. Airheads as a group are nutty about their spline lube and spend a lot of time on the issue of what works.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asked the Honda dealer and "use a good grease" was their answer. They didn't have any M77 in stock.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Kluber makes good grease. Many many forms for special applications.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NAPA carries a moly base paste.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post