SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another Kennedy Family Tragedy
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Kennedy Family Tragedy Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
Who had "Kennedy Family Tragedy" on their crisis bingo card? Seriously, how much does this family have to suffer?

Link

John F. Kennedy’s grand-niece and her son, 8, drowned after boating accident, officials say

A grand-niece of President John F. Kennedy and her son drowned after rowing into the rough Chesapeake Bay in Maryland to recover a soccer ball, authorities and witnesses said Friday.

Maeve Kennedy Townsend McKean, the granddaughter of Robert F. Kennedy, and her 8-year-old son, Gideon Joseph Kennedy McKean, got into the canoe around 4 p.m. Thursday outside her mother’s home in Shady Side, according to the Washington Post.

The child had been kicking a ball with other kids when it fell into the water, and the pair went to retrieve it amid high winds, her husband, David McKean, told the paper.

“[They] popped into a canoe to chase it down. They just got farther out than they could handle, and couldn’t get back in,” David McKean said.

The pair was later sucked into the South River where they drowned, Gov. Larry Hogan said at a press conference Friday.

McKean, 40, is the daughter of former Maryland Lt. Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, who she was visiting when the tragedy struck.

A concerned person called authorities around 4:30 p.m. Thursday to say he had seen the canoe near the Columbia Beach pier, according to Capt. Erik Kornmeyer, a spokesman for the Anne Arundel County Fire Department.

The caller reported that boaters were “seen struggling to return to shore in a canoe” near Herring Bay amid high winds before vanishing, the Coast Guard said.

Rescuers searched for the missing pair until nightfall Thursday and began again Friday morning, to no avail. A spokesman for the US Coast Guard told the Washington Post the wind in that part of the bay reached about 30 mph Thursday afternoon, with waves 2 to 3 feet high.

The Kennedy family has been plagued by tragedies ranging from the assassinations of McKean’s grandfather and great-uncle to the death of her cousin Saoirse Kennedy Hill last year.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If it flys, floats or fucks, Kennedy's should stay away from it!

-RhinoWSOmonkey

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

-RhinoWSOmonkey
Well, DAMN!! Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

-RhinoWSOmonkey

Don't have much luck in cars either.

Horrible story though.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Jesus, that is terrible.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Monkey said nearly all of it, but that family name is fucking cursed.

Terrible tragedy though.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Kennedy clan has more money than god and they die trying to chase down a $5 soccer ball. That's some kind of cosmic karma.

Posts: 2480 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I did a fair amount of paddling in my youth, lakes, rivers, fishing,hunting, trapping, whatever.

Larger water, some wind & waves is NO place for someone even moderately experienced.

The best answer would of been, ‘we’ll get another ball’.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Wonder how many guns they lost in the boating accident....

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

-RhinoWSOmonkey

Or throwing the old pig skin around on the ski slope. Not that anyone else does that. I’ve skied all my life, and never seen anyone throwing a ball around on skis.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very sad.

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
The Kennedys have been raised their entire lives to believe that rules and consequences do not apply to them. And that is true in terms of legal laws and social convention. However the laws of physics and Darwin are not so forgiving.

Tragedy still, but there are a lot of tragedies this year.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:

-RhinoWSOmonkey

Thas cold SM

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Or throwing the old pig skin around on the ski slope. Not that anyone else does that. I’ve skied all my life, and never seen anyone throwing a ball around on skis.

It was actually a water bottle according to the news reports I read at the time.

And I still remember the jaw-dropping comment by a friend/relative of that one who skied into a tree in the process: “He wasn’t doing anything dangerous.” It was then that I first thought of pointing out to others who made such ridiculous statements that if we’re doing something that can kill us due to a moment’s inattention, that’s a definition of dangerous.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
The sins of the father...

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com...b593300d0_story.html

Search for Kennedy family members missing in Chesapeake Bay has ‘turned from rescue to recovery’

by Rachel Weiner, Peter Hermann and Dana Hedgpeth
April 3, 2020 at 8:39 p.m. CDT

Authorities continued searching Friday for two members of the Kennedy family who disappeared in the Chesapeake Bay after they had set out in a canoe to retrieve a ball in the water — a mission that family said “turned from rescue to recovery.”

Maeve Kennedy Townsend McKean, 40, and her 8-year-old son Gideon Joseph Kennedy McKean went missing near Annapolis on Thursday evening while the family had gathered at a waterfront house owned by McKean’s mother, family and authorities said.

At about 4 p.m., children were kicking a ball back and forth in a yard, and the ball went into the water, said McKean’s husband, David McKean.

He said his wife and son “popped into a canoe to chase it down.”

“They just got farther out than they could handle and couldn’t get back in,” he said in a brief interview with The Washington Post.

He said the family had been at the Shady Side home of Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, a former lieutenant governor of Maryland.

Kennedy Townsend described her daughter as a dedicated mother of three and public servant with a “fire emanating from her soul.”

“My heart is crushed, yet we shall try to summon the grace of God and what strength we have to honor the hope, energy and passion that Maeve and Gideon set forth into the world,” she said in a statement.

Maeve McKean is executive director of the Georgetown University Global Health Initiative. She is a granddaughter of the late senator Robert F. Kennedy and grandniece of former president John F. Kennedy.

Capt. Erik Kornmeyer, a spokesman for the Anne Arundel County Fire Department, said in a statement that a concerned person called authorities around 4:30 p.m. Thursday to say he saw the canoe from the Columbia Beach pier.

According to the Coast Guard, the caller said the boaters were “seen struggling to return to shore in a canoe” near Herring Bay and then not seen again.

A spokesman for the U.S. Coast Guard said the wind in that part of the bay was at 26 knots — about 30 mph — Thursday afternoon, with waves two to three feet high.

Boat and helicopter crews engaged in the search until dark Thursday and resumed Friday morning. By Friday afternoon, the Coast Guard said 2,275 square miles had been covered.

Maryland Natural Resources Police said Friday that an overturned canoe matching the description of the one that went missing was recovered.

“Gideon, like his mom, was a star athlete who loved soccer, golf, and running,” Kennedy Townsend said of her grandson. “He took after his parents in the most extraordinary ways. He loved riddles, math, chess, and adventures.”

McKean is president of the Parent Teacher Association at the Capitol Hill Cluster School. Principals Elena Bell and Kristofer Comeforo sent a letter to families saying they are “deeply saddened by this news.”

McKean graduated from Boston College and Georgetown University with a joint degree in law and international conflict resolution. She served in the Peace Corps in Mozambique, coming home to help with her mother’s 2002 campaign for governor.

She went on to work for Democratic U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein in California — where she met her future husband. Gideon is their first child; the pair of human rights lawyers named him after a Supreme Court case ordering states to pay for defense attorneys for the poor. During the Obama administration, McKean worked in the State Department’s global AIDS program and on human rights in the Department of Health and Human Services.

Last year, she and her mother spoke out openly against her uncle Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s stance against vaccines.

“We stand behind him in his ongoing fight to protect our environment,” they wrote in a Politico column. “However, on vaccines he is wrong.”

Last month, she was one of hundreds of public health and experts who signed onto a letter urging Vice President Pence to follow scientific recommendations and provide adequate funding in responding to covid-19.

The Kennedy family has been beset by tragedy, including the assassinations of McKean’s grandfather and great-uncle in the 1960s and the death of her cousin Saoirse Kennedy Hill last year.

While they are also widely seen as blessed by fortune, McKean told Glamour in 2008 that was a misconception.

“People think, because I’m a Kennedy, I’m extremely wealthy and don’t flaunt it. Ha!” she said. “I have a great name, but by the time you get to the fourth generation, the money’s run out. We’re fortunate compared to the average American, but to think I’m a trust fund kid — so not true!”

She said it was still a challenge to figure out how to pay her law school bills while committing to a career in public service.

In an interview last year with a Spanish television station, she said why she chose to focus part of her career on women’s health. While women are “half the world,” she said, medical-research investment often favors men.

“I think there’s . . . an incredible opportunity for really making a difference,” she said. “When you improve the health of women and their children, you improve the health of [their] communities.”

Kennedy Townsend said her daughter “devoted her life to helping society’s most vulnerable.”

“She did everything with her full self and her whole heart,” she said.

Magda Jean-Louis, Clarence Williams, Ovetta Wiggins, Spencer S. Hsu, Erin Cox, Annie Linskey and Eddy Palanzo contributed to this report.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I hate to point out the painfully obvious, but life jackets would have made ALL the difference in the world. In fact, under MD state law, they are required to be in any watercraft, and physically on any child under the age of 13. That is on flat water on any given day. To go out in the conditions described without even having them in the boat made this a completely avoidable tragedy. Utter foolishness.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They think the laws don't apply to them and they're right about all but one.
The laws of physics.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Horrible story though.

Wrong..They have all the luck in cars, it's the passenger who is left to die

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Oh well.

Posts: 2770 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post