SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    03 Nov 2019 GPS "rollover..."
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

03 Nov 2019 GPS "rollover..." Login/Join 
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted
So, I get an email from my wireless carrier stating that starting on 03 Nov, I may experience issues with my device's apps that use GPS:

Global Positioning System (GPS) Week Number Rollover

According to Verizon, my device is one of the many devices that may be affected by the rollover.

While I appreciate Verizon for notifying me of this potential issue, I cannot help think that this is also an attempt by them to sell me a new phone.

I am going to wait and see what happens on 03 Nov and then proceed accordingly.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Mind if I ask what phone do you have?

ETA: Never mind that. I went to the link.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm with verizon as well & only have gps/location on when i really need it...note5.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Is this what's going to make me upgrade from my Galaxy S4?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
So it's basically Y2K for cell phones.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
That's weird. The last GPS end-of-week event was April 6, 2019. According to DHS website:

GPS uses a week counter that enables receivers to calculate the appropriate date. That week counter uses 10 bits and needs to be reset every 1,024 weeks—roughly every 20 years. On April 6, 2019—the first Saturday in April—the GPS week counter will reset to zero. The good news is that with the modernization of GPS the week number counter will be increased to 13 bits and we will not have another event like this for approximately 157 years.

https://www.dhs.gov/cisa/gps-week-number-roll-over

Seems like this shouldn't be an issue until at least 2039.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:
That's weird. The last GPS end-of-week event was April 6, 2019. According to DHS website:

GPS uses a week counter that enables receivers to calculate the appropriate date. That week counter uses 10 bits and needs to be reset every 1,024 weeks—roughly every 20 years. On April 6, 2019—the first Saturday in April—the GPS week counter will reset to zero. The good news is that with the modernization of GPS the week number counter will be increased to 13 bits and we will not have another event like this for approximately 157 years.

https://www.dhs.gov/cisa/gps-week-number-roll-over

Seems like this shouldn't be an issue until at least 2039.

That was my thought as well, however, it appears that certain devices firmware was not affected until the upcoming date in Nov.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a ploy to get you to buy a new phone.

Posts: 107564 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
You didn’t know GPS was Shareware?
You only got the trial version.. Big Grin

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post