SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You think this woman will sue the cell phone company for causing her to fall into the hole?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You think this woman will sue the cell phone company for causing her to fall into the hole? Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I'm sick of these people. And by 'these' people I mean these morons who disappear into their little devices and ignore everything around them. She could have walked out in front of my truck while living in virtual land and been struck, yet it would somehow be my fault.

Nope, not one fricking bit of sympathy from me, and I hope she loses spectacularly when this gets to court.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Her attorney is going to argue that there should have been barriers around the hole that a distracted person should have hit prior to being able to fall into the hole. He'll probably also argue that the doors weren't tall enough to prevent someone from falling in, and thus are not an adequate barrier.

The defense attorney should counter with it is her responsibility to watch where she is walking on a public street

Yep and I suspect her attorney is going to get the best of this debate. She reasonably would have a presumption of not encountering this type of hazard on a public sidewalk. Most safety procedures and and devices are designed to protect stupid people that wouldn't be able to get through life without them.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
She should be charged stupid tax.

Oooh Democrats love taxes. Maybe change the name, get a celeb to front for it, I bet we could get it passed.

Best thing, none of us would ever have to pay it!

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:

Oooh Democrats love taxes. Maybe change the name, get a celeb to front for it, I bet we could get it passed.

Best thing, none of us would ever have to pay it!

Or the Republicans could pass a "100% of punitive damages" tax.

Either way works. Smile

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
New Jersey is a modified comparative fault state.

If the jury decides that she is more at fault than the other party, she gets nothing.

And seeing how she was on her cell phone, her case is going be pretty tough to win.

Have you ever spent time in New Jersey?

I have. I would not take that bet.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks 100% planned to me. When she initially hit the barrier it looked like she forced herself over. I would bet money that this was planned for lawsuit purposes. People do it all the time around here.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I had an uncle who was legally blind, and I myself am seriously nearsighted when not wearing contacts. My uncle normally didn't walk with a special cane. He got around OK but did have several falls due to curbs and such over his lifetime. I can imagine the fall in the video happening to someone with a serious visual impairment if they failed to look at the ground right at the instant when they are possibly capable of seeing the danger. When you have really poor vision you have consciously to work at interpreting the blurry images life presents you, and sometimes you miss stuff, or misinterpret.

If the woman is really legally blind as claimed, it's possible she just looked at her phone in that instant, as opposed to being oblivious as she strolled towards the hole. To me, in the video it doesn't look like she looks at the phone until she's almost to the hole. Also, the barrier is similar in color and brightness to the pavement, and it doesn't look like there was a hard shadow on the side of the barrier, which makes it hard for the visually impaired to detect.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Any quasi-intelligent person would quickly conclude that this was HER fault. Sheesh - she wasn't even watching where she was walking!

Unfortunately, a lot of people who sit on juries aren't even quasi-intelligent!

A woman drives through the McDonald's drive through, orders a HOT coffee, places it between her legs and squeezes the cup with her thighs, sustaining burns to her legs. The jury found that it was McDonald's' fault! When questioned about it, the (female) jury foreman said, "If you had seen the photographs of the woman's legs and heard the testimony about how painful the experience was, you would have found for the plaintiff, too."

No, lady, it wouldn't matter how much I felt sympathy for the lady - the question was, 'Who is at fault?' and the answer was more than obvious to anybody with a modicum of intelligence.

If the lady who walked into a hole in the ground can get the sympathy of a jury, the jury will find for her.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
Looks 100% planned to me. When she initially hit the barrier it looked like she forced herself over. I would bet money that this was planned for lawsuit purposes. People do it all the time around here.

Forward momentum, high center of gravity, low barrier, reportedly 67 year old, legally blind diabetic going head first into a 6-foot hole; I'll take that bet Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are legally blind, you cannot just climb into a car and start driving and expect everyone to get out of your way because you cannot see.
Hell, that doesn't stop most of the sighted drivers around here!

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or the Republicans could pass a "100% of punitive damages" tax.

Missouri does that. It's not 100%, but the state feels it is entitled to punitive damages even though they are not an involved party. They take half.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forward momentum, high center of gravity, low barrier, reportedly 67 year old, legally blind diabetic going head first into a 6-foot hole; I'll take that bet

Yeah. Do not see too many slip and fall artists in their late 60's. There are certain requirements for safety. I always kid the telephone guy about putting out the cones in front and in back of their vehicles. People at times are not very attentive and do stupid things. I give her the benefit of the doubt. News account said she was seriously injured.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
This is Plainfield, formally known as the Queen City, was beautiful with many victorian homes and carriage houses (Now occupied by 5 families) until the 70's. It was then boastfully called by it's new citizens the Chocolate City. It became so bad the Mulenberg hospital went bankrupt and closed. It is now full of, pic a flavor of Illegal Aliens.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

She would probably get government assistance to pay it for her.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Her attorney is going to argue that there should have been barriers around the hole that a distracted person should have hit prior to being able to fall into the hole. He'll probably also argue that the doors weren't tall enough to prevent someone from falling in, and thus are not an adequate barrier.

The defense attorney should counter with it is her responsibility to watch where she is walking on a public street

Yep and I suspect her attorney is going to get the best of this debate. She reasonably would have a presumption of not encountering this type of hazard on a public sidewalk. Most safety procedures and and devices are designed to protect stupid people that wouldn't be able to get through life without them.
I read elsewhere that she was partially blind and did not have normal discernment of objects that were not contrasting in color.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Could be settled out of court. Ambulance chasing atty knows how much the gov't is willing to pay to make it go away.

I saw a cartoon, an atty tells the judge "the $500K settlement will only cover my fee, the plaintiff should get something".

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:.....I read elsewhere that she was partially blind and did not have normal discernment of objects that were not contrasting in color.

flashguy

Seems someone with documented vision disability/impairment should be proactive in taking precautionary measures when out walking alone. Contributory negligence??

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:.....I read elsewhere that she was partially blind and did not have normal discernment of objects that were not contrasting in color.

flashguy

Seems someone with documented vision disability/impairment should be proactive in taking precautionary measures when out walking alone. Contributory negligence??
Oh, I don't think it excuses her--but it could be seen as a contributing influence.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a great article to inform those who have balance and mobility issues. Sounds like the woman could have used some of this advice.
http://chicago.suntimes.com/ne...ensure-youll-get-up/

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my dumbest moments was I was on the phone once and walked smack dag into the pole of a no parking sign on the sidewalk once. I don't think I can blame the city for that.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post