SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You think this woman will sue the cell phone company for causing her to fall into the hole?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You think this woman will sue the cell phone company for causing her to fall into the hole? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
She might be 100% responsible for her injury, at first glance. But, looking more closely at the video, the city crew working in the hole is partly responsible, imho. No warning signs, or warning barriers, surrounding the wide open hole. Zero.

http://start.att.net/player/ca..._sidewalk_doors-5min

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I see a barrier. She falls over it, as a matter of fact.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
She might be 100% responsible for her injury, at first glance. But, looking more closely at the video, the city crew working in the hole is partly responsible, imho. No warning signs, or warning barriers, surrounding the wide open hole. Zero.

http://start.att.net/player/ca..._sidewalk_doors-5min

Bullshit. There is a freckling metal wall. Stupid is stupid. Open your freaking eyes.

Now in todays world how know but people need to take some responsibility. It is was just the hole and nothing around it ok but there is a fracking metal barrier.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
She should be charged stupid tax.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Latest is "she is legally blind"; but as I understand that definition, she can see. So, if I'm on the jury, she is as negligent as the guy that opened the hole. - case dismissed, they f'ed up and you f'ed up. Equal.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Latest is "she is legally blind"
And texting om a small screen?

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Yes, she is suing. It is being reported by her lawyer she had a phone app malfunction. She was using the Sidewalk Hole Early Detection Universally Managed By Alerting Safety and Security app. You can find this app online by searching the online store for SHEDUMBASS, they need a new beta tester.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I see a barrier. She falls over it, as a matter of fact.

Berrier wasn't high enough . Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Latest is "she is legally blind"; but as I understand that definition, she can see. So, if I'm on the jury, she is as negligent as the guy that opened the hole. - case dismissed, they f'ed up and you f'ed up. Equal.

A real blind person would have felt the barriers with their cane and avoided the fall. Only seeing people stare at their phones while walking.

She should get a seeing eye dog so she can walk and text. Probably covered under the ACA.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Her attorney is going to argue that there should have been barriers around the hole that a distracted person should have hit prior to being able to fall into the hole. He'll probably also argue that the doors weren't tall enough to prevent someone from falling in, and thus are not an adequate barrier.

The defense attorney should counter with it is her responsibility to watch where she is walking on a public street

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Isn't there an App that warns you that you're about to do a stupid thing?

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
And this why people nowadays need stupid crap in their cars like "brake assist."

Maybe we should all just ride around on scooters that are auto operated by Google so stuff like this never happens again. Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
Yes, she is suing. It is being reported by her lawyer she had a phone app malfunction. She was using the Sidewalk Hole Early Detection Universally Managed By Alerting Safety and Security app. You can find this app online by searching the online store for SHEDUMBASS, they need a new beta tester.

Well played . . . .

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
There is a reason there's a label on hand held hair dryers that says 'do not use near water'. Having worked for a telephone company in plenty of manholes, I'm fairly confident there should have been more barriers and warnings than the open doors of a hand hole. Some utility worker just got himself screwed. At the minimum, they'll say he should have protected himself from falling dumb asses.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I think we need to have more of these Borg falling into holes, and we need video of it.

Stupid is as stupid does

posted Hide Post
they need a barrier for their barrier

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
they need a barrier for their barrier

Just file a grievance with the Department of Redundancy Department.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
She might be 100% responsible for her injury, at first glance. But, looking more closely at the video, the city crew working in the hole is partly responsible

New Jersey is a modified comparative fault state.

If the jury decides that she is more at fault than the other party, she gets nothing.

And seeing how she was on her cell phone, her case is going be pretty tough to win.

Even if she is legitimately "legally blind," it's her responsibility to take precautions. E.g. If you are legally blind, you cannot just climb into a car and start driving and expect everyone to get out of your way because you cannot see.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post