SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Texas Tracked Me Down to Collect Tolls
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Tracked Me Down to Collect Tolls Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
2 months ago, we drove through Dallas on our trip to Montana from Florida. We hit a couple of toll roads that bypassed Dallas. So the cameras caught my license plate, contacted Montana DMV and obtained my mailing address.

This week we got a bill for $5.80 which I immediately paid online. Seems like a lot of work to collect the price of a Big Mac.
Mike

This seems like a lot of

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
It's not a lot of work - it's all computerized and automated. That's standard procedure up here, if you don't have EZ Pass.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
If they accept paper checks, you could have paid that way and it would cost them more than the $5.80 to process it.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
If they accept paper checks, you could have paid that way and it would cost them more than the $5.80 to process it.

Big Grin

I sent North Carolina a check for less than $3, for the same reasons.

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

Big Grin

Do you write in the comment line "choke on it!"? Because if you don't it's a real missed opportunity.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My Dad came to visit 2 Christmas' ago, got off on the last free exit, and 2 minutes later messed up and got back on the tollway. I told him they'd track him down, and they did 4 or 5 months later.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting on my bill from Florida when I was visiting my brother & his family 2 weeks ago. I think I saw the camera flash on my vehicle 3 times.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Do you write in the comment line "choke on it!"? Because if you don't it's a real missed opportunity.

I guess I did miss that one, but something tells me I'll eventually fall into that trap again, sort of like tatortodd's dad.

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened to me. Received toll road bill 2 months later when we crossed San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge on our way back to the city. No toll for going out of the city. Coming back into cost $8.00 Paid it on-line to avoid late penalty.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hey write that on your Tax Return and let me know what happens. LOL

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Macs are now 5.80. Geez I stopped buying those lousy "Where's the Beef Macs" when they hit 2 dollars. What Kind of fool buys a really poor imitation of the Big Boy for that kind of money.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hey write that on your Tax Return and let me know what happens. LOL

Reckon if the junior jackboots try and be butthurt over it, I could get me a Jewish lawyer to fuck their asses until they bleed.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

Big Grin

Years ago I wrote blood money on a check I sent in for a speeding ticket I felt I didn't deserve. I got the check back a few days later with a letter signed by a judge saying he would issue a warrant for my arrest if I didn't remove the inappropriate comment. I didn't want to find out if he was bluffing. So I sent a new check. Some people dont have a sense of humor.

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
happened to us driving through cali (which hasn't dropped into the sea yet). then i heard you can get the garmin to route you around these tolls.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Must be missing whatever the point is here. Toll roads are clearly marked as such in my part of the world. It costs money to travel them. If you don't want to pay, then don't use them. If the toll collection programming (staff or whatever) detect a vehicle not accounted for toll-wise a billing is generated. Systematically, it costs virtually nothing to generate a billing for unpaid tolls. BFD.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use the road, pay the toll. Simple. Yeah, you can jack-fuck around with checks and such, but why? I no longer stop in Illinois. Oh, I pay the 20 bucks worth of tolls when passing thru, but they get tolls both ways, including at mall exits. So I pee in Indiana and Wisconsin, and they get NOTHING but my tolls. The first and only time we stopped at the mall, my wife spent several hundred dollars and the state/locals got the tax. Now they just get the tolls.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
Years ago I wrote blood money on a check I sent in for a speeding ticket I felt I didn't deserve. I got the check back a few days later with a letter signed by a judge saying he would issue a warrant for my arrest if I didn't remove the inappropriate comment. I didn't want to find out if he was bluffing. So I sent a new check. Some people dont have a sense of humor.

Similarly, there was a lady in my county a good long time ago who had a big disagreement with the county treasurer. When it came time to pay the periodic county taxes, she wrote the check to "{Firstname Lastname}, Bastard."

The treasurer was not amused, the story hit the news, and it became quite a big thing in the community. She ended up rewriting the check, as I recall, under similar threats plus a lawsuit for libel. I can't remember if she did any jail time for it or not. It was quite a scene for many months. Big Grin

God bless America.

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Pretty much all states do that now.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elde:
Must be missing whatever the point is here. Toll roads are clearly marked as such in my part of the world.

Sometimes you end up on one without trying (blindly following GPS, making a wrong turn, being unfamiliar with the area and not knowing there's a parallel no-toll route). I believe that's where the irritation comes in, and where we want to "get even" in some way. From my perspective, it's bad enough that I took a wrong turn and ended up on the toll road -- that brings me a cost in terms of my time. But then when I have to hand over some money as a result, that increases the irritation factor. That's when our thoughts turn to "getting even" or wondering if the piddly fee the tolling authority extracts from us is really worth the effort we perceive went into sending the collection notice.

Simple sample: when I travel to Kentucky, the "preferred" path leads me across some toll roads in WV. I know they're there, I know I'm going to "hit the booths," and I keep a handful of quarters in the truck in preparation. When I take a wrong turn in NC and get on the toll road by accident, it's a different thing. Especially when I know there's a parallel route between my usual Point A and Point B that doesn't cost me extra. Yes, it's ultimately my fault that I got on the wrong road, but that doesn't make me less unhappy about it, right?

God bless America.

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much it cost Texas to get that $6 out of you.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post