SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Speaking of pilots....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speaking of pilots.... Login/Join 
posted
This girl is pretty amazing all things considered

https://youtu.be/B229-KLudTo

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Wow. I'd have had to hose out the inside of the plane.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

I loved her first response to ATC when they told her and she presumably heard that a wheel fell off her plane..."Yes"

According the the comments from her dad she has already gone back up and started flying again

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Cool under pressure, CHECK!

Fine job Maggie. Good for her getting right back up there.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way to go!!!!

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Whew... Her first couple of answers killed me. Then, after she had a moment to calm down back to being a pilot.

I'm glad she made it down safely.

What a trooper...

Edited: Found an interview with her. Both mom and dad are air force vets. I'm guessing her career will be starting soon...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
"When in doubt, fly the airplane all the way to the crash site - If a wing falls off, keep flying it - maybe you'll figure out a way to regain control and survive" - something my old civie flight instructor said.

Probably not original but it stuck with me.

Good on the pilot for making it happen.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definite trooper. Going to fun fun in the bar one day - “We’ll, there was that time when I was 17 and I had to crash land...”

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Good for her! She remained calm and didn't turn a minor emergency into a major one. That's a real confidence booster for her as well - knowing that she can face the unexpected and remain calm.

And having also had to land a plane without a wheel under the right wing (although mine was an A-4 Skyhawk), I empathize with her.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing that. Awesome job for the pilot, and instructor. Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, those first couple exchanges were hard to listen to.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:

Yep...it almost broke my heart to listen to the restrained emotion in her voice...I can only imagine what was going through her mind Frown

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:

Yep...it almost broke my heart to listen to the restrained emotion in her voice...I can only imagine what was going through her mind Frown

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that had that reaction. She was clearly scared to death but was keeping under control. You can hear the emotion spike again when the Flt Instructor gets on the radio but he does a great job reining her back in. He does a great job explaining everything to and keeping her calm and focused.

ATC, Flt Instructor, and the pilot did an excellent job working together to make that a safe landing.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
She did a great job. Great presence of mind and focus on the task at hand. Her instructor also did a great job of keeping her busy communicating instead of worrying. The controller didn’t do too shabby either.

Ah, the wheel and lower half of the strut completely departed the airplane. Between that and it being a warrior, it might even have gotten fixed.

Prior to solo I was flying a Cherokee 140 doing landings when the instructor asked me what was the most important instrument. Because he had harped on it seeming forever, I said the attitude indicator. He said, yes, but what is the most important instrument for landing? I said airspeed. He said good and proceeded to cover it on downwind. I got slow in the flair and dropped it in from two or three feet. The airplane swerved hard right, was making a weird scrubbing sound and trying to bury the nose, even with the yoke pinned all the way back. I had the yoke all the way back wondering what next and the instructor starts hollering “Brakes! Brakes!” No sooner had I moved my feet up the pedals he hollered “No Brakes!” The airplane slowed and when I turned right to taxi off the runway everything went back to normal. We taxied to the maintenance shop, shut down and called the mechanic over. Pushing the aircraft back and forth it made a clunking sound but nobody could see what the problem was. The instructor and mechanic decided to go test fly it. I asked if I could come along. No. Okay. When they broke ground, the strut and wheel fell out, but hung by the brake line. They flew around, burned off gas, then went to a larger towered field nearby with onsite emergency service. They held the right wing off as long as possible, but when the wheel/strut assembly hit the ground it broke the brake line, hit the flap and the stabilator. When they couldn’t hold the right wing off anymore, it started scraping along on the bottom of the outer part of the oleo assembly (imagine landing with a pipe on one side instead of a wheel). This torqued the right wing. The insurance company took one look and declared it a total loss.

And this is how I totaled an airplane before I ever soloed. Wink

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Wonder if she started looking for the person that put the wheel on?

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Boy, that just about broke my heart.

Good for her! And her IP, and the tower.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
That was a heart-tugger for sure as a parent. Or just a human.

Good job Maggie. For once, love some of the comments I scanned through on page.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
WOW! She did absolutely great. I am with PHPaul about hosing out the cockpit.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

After training enough to solo, you should have accepted the idea, intellectually and emotionally, that the airplane is going to return to earth eventually and you might as well make the best you can of it, and if you are going to panic, just point the nose at the ground.

I guess every instructor has a colorful way to say it. Mine talked about keep on flying until all the big pieces had stopped rolling, good advice when trying to land a Mooney at the table top airport at Sedona in gusting variable winds.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Long out of print, an excellent treatise on the subject is called "Fly the Biggest Piece Home." I haven't seen a copy in years, but it's as true today.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post