SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Water Heater Leak Detector/Shut-off Valve
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water Heater Leak Detector/Shut-off Valve Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
For $400 and what you have to spend to have that installed, as you most likely have braised copper plumbing going to it, just spend a couple of $100 more and replace the water heater.

Bingo

Yeah, if only gas fired water heaters were a total cost of $600 to install. Unfortunately, the cost is 1k plus (not a couple hundred more).
Especially when there are safety systems which only cost $150 (now you're easily talking 1k difference).

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Why would you spend $263 for a brand of unknown quality?
TACO is a known leader in the boiler industry and is only $150.
Oh crap! TOTALLY missed that...thanks for the reminder, Excam!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your welcome buddy...

I was thinking I might be on your blocked list for some reason. lol

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
The water heater currently sits in a drain pan that is in good condition and drains to the outside of the house. That was part of the inspection I got the other day...

Since its already in a pan with a suitable drain I would not spend any money for a shut off valve. Search water leak detector alarm on Amazon and there are many options. Some $25 for a wifi sensor that will send an alert to your phone.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Replaced two, both leaked from the top one trickled down inside the jacket and out the bottom, the other popped a pin hole leak while I was in the garage and had a high pressure stream shooting out.

Shut off the water and I'm done with internal storage tanks, external on demand water heater, any leaks are outside.

If you need the peace of mind to sleep well then get the detector, have it installed properly and roll the dice since the inspection says it's good to go for now.

Like you said, its possible a new buyer is going to ask for a credit vs a 16 year old soon to be 20 year old water heater, then again, it's a hot market so they may not...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Your welcome buddy...

I was thinking I might be on your blocked list for some reason. lol
"lol" Big Grin

BTW...Home Depot marks up their cost on that unit to $198.14. What a rip!! Eek
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Since its already in a pan with a suitable drain I would not spend any money for a shut off valve. Search water leak detector alarm on Amazon and there are many options. Some $25 for a wifi sensor that will send an alert to your phone.
Thanks for that option!! I'll look at that, but I pretty much need an automatic shut-off valve system to shut off the water in the event of a significant leak when I'm out of town. When I'm gone, there's no one there but the cats and I can't hold their attention long enough to show them how to turn off the valve manually. Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
House is insured, no?

My mother in law had a leak in her house and she got new floors, new paint, new cabinets, bunch of new stuff, all paid for by insurance...

Maybe let it ride and see what happens.

As to your comment about being out of town, I turn my water off at the side of my house every time I leave town. Turn the water heater off at the breaker too. Electric cost drops from $7-$8 per day to $1.50 a day too.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Well that would be the RADICAL approach. Big Grin Big Grin Oh...excuse me. "lol" Big Grin

posted Hide Post
When shutting off water when away, make sure to kill the power on electric units and at a minimum turn the gas control to pilot for gas units (really should be off completely).

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
***** UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE *****

As previously posted, I bought the LeakBreaker from Taco. They make a WiFi model that will alert you through their APP if the unit has been activated, but I didn't get that model. I tested the control unit (per Taco's Youtube instructions) by plugging in the unit, connecting the sensor and valve to the control unit, putting the sensor in a glass of water, and observing the valve automatically close. Reset function worked perfectly as well.

I am blessed and fortunate to have friends with connections (no pun intended Smile) and was able to employ the services of an electrician (whom I already knew) and plumber, both of whom are wonderfully talented! My electrician buddy tapped off a switch in the attic and wired an outlet to the brace next to the water heater and the plumber (AWESOME dude) installed the cut-off valve. I then mounted the control unit to the brace, connected everything, plugged it in, and VOILA!! Workin' like a charm!!

A project WELL worth the little money I spent and gives me peace of mind. Thanks again for all the feedback and suggestions!! Ultimate Gold Star awarded to Excam_Man for pointing me in the direction of Taco. Merry Christmas to all!!!

posted Hide Post
You're very welcome.
Glad it worked out for you and gives you piece of mind.

Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the members.