SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    IMy car broke down and died, then I broke down.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMy car broke down and died, then I broke down. Login/Join 
posted
Well last Thursday on my way home my car over heated and it's pretty much dead. It's been a good car, but at 20 years old it just needs to much to be done. Repairs would be almost$1000.00, about half of what it's worth.

So after putting it off the inevitable, Friday I called my credit union and got a loan pre approval, and spent every second of free time car shopping online. I found a few, and Friday after work I went to look at a couple, wasn't happy but the dealers were closing so I went home in defeat.

Did more car shopping online and started to broaden my search area and found a car, MY car. I have always liked the Subaru WRX fivedoor/hatchback and there was a 2013, WR Pearl Blue (the color I prefer) setting on a dealer lot 100 miles away.

So, I got up Saturday and tried to find a way up to look at it, and all my friends were at work, out of town or busy, while walking my dog, talking on my phone a neighbor overheard me. He came up to me and said, "having car problems?" I said yep. He said you need to get some place? I said I'm trying to look at a car. Neighbor said I'll take you. I told him it was 100 miles away and he said "no problem, my car gets 45 MPG and I don't have any thing to do!" I said OK and on our way we went.

We got there and I looked it over really good, looked at the car fax, test drove it, and made the deal. I signed the papers and on my way home we went.

I stopped to fill the gas tank and we hit the highway. I drove at 70 MPH home and got 27.8 MPG. Heck not much off from my boring little Toyota Corolla!

So far around town, I have been getting 24.6 MPG, but I have only had it since Saturday.

It's in great shape, looks almost new. I got a good deal on it, so though I'm in debt, I have a "new" hopefully reliable car that is fun to drive.

I hate being in debt, but I need a reliable car, I have to get to work and home and catching rides sucks because I work weird hours, and I live in the sticks.

Well, at least it's a car I love! I have forgotten how much fun it is to drive!

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

I love those little cars, but I don’t fit in them Frown

I get to buy car number 3 for our family this Friday

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new ride. May it provide many uneventful miles.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Pics... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Your neighbor sounds like a good guy. Good luck with your new vehicle.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I hope you at least bought him lunch...

Congrats on the new ride!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice car, I had a Subaru an ‘88 GL turbo wagon many problem free miles put on it. Enjoy please put some pics up for all of us to enjoy.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Score! I also have a 2013 WRX limited hatch, obsidian black. Got it used in 2014 with around 20k miles. If you like yours half as much as I like mine you'll be a happy camper.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Marry that man!!

Posts: 2933 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a new to you car!

Also, your neighbor is awesome.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Sweet! I'm sure it will get you to work and be fun!

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm considering one of those when I retire. (Company car for 28 years). Also looking forward to something fun to drive.
You have a hell of a good neighbor. I'd be doing him something nice in return.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
I love those little cars, but I don’t fit in them Frown

Ditto. My wife has a WRX. Really fun to drive, when I can put the seat all the way down and all the way back. Not so much fun to ride in, as I don't really fit in the passenger seats.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
I hope you at least bought him lunch...

Congrats on the new ride!

He wouldn't have it. I tried, I tried to give him gas money and he flatly refused.

I know he likes Rare Breed Wild Turkey, so I'm going to get a bottle and leave it at his door.

ARman

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seotaji:
Congratulations on a new to you car!

Also, your neighbor is awesome.

He is a good egg.

ARman

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
Score! I also have a 2013 WRX limited hatch, obsidian black. Got it used in 2014 with around 20k miles. If you like yours half as much as I like mine you'll be a happy camper.

The most fun I've had with my clothes on! The only other car I have had that was as much fun was my Dodge Omni GLH Turbo.

I'm glad that I found this one, it's very well maintained and the price was right. I have always liked the WRX hatchback.

I hope that I have many years with this car.

ARman

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Pics... Wink

Well, I haven't taken any yet, but when I do I'll post one up if I can figure out how to do it from my phone. Smile

ARman

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Great car. Mrs. Krazee drives an 09 Forester.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Two things that I learned about signifigant life events: don't quit your current job until your new job is secured; try to buy a new car while your current car is running, otherwise look out for the Crisco and check your six.

Sounds like you got a good deal and everything came together. Enjoy! Thumbs up on bourbon!

PS: I drove a Toyota Avalon for 292, 620 miles, and for about 12 of its 17 years.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
That certainly worked out nice. I have a 20 year old car and it too needs a lot of repair. Looks like I'll be driving it for a while longer.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post